iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EZ boardwalk Log Arch

Started by 123maxbars, January 03, 2012, 08:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Well I now have a new task at hand at my sawmill.  Up until now I use my Kubota Tractor (32hp) to drag logs to my sawmill. The smaller ones I use my pallet forks to move them, but they are only rated for 1200lbs so the larger oaks/poplar I mill have to be skidded/dragged to the mill. After doing alot of research I decided to purchase a log arch with a winch and a drop tongue so my tractor could just pull it over to the mill which is usually about 20 to 35 feet away from where I keep the logs. I was set on the Log Rite ATV arch and was about to order one today when I came across the EZ Boardwalk ATV Arch. By looking at both arches they are very similar in design. Both use winches to raise the logs and the capacity are the same at 2000lbs. Only noticeable difference is that the EZ arch has tongs and the Log Rite uses a choker cable. Also the EZ will life logs up to 28in diam where the Logrite is rated at 26in diam. Biggest issue for me overall is the price. Log rite is around 1600 and the EZ is priced at 875. Just seeing if anyone out there has ever used or owns the EZ arch. Looks like a great product for my means and I am sure that both arches will do great but the price difference is around half. My main income with my mill has came to be selling lumber (when I started I thought that portable jobs would be my main source of revenue for my sawmill) and I am getting in logs a few times a month from loggers so I need a good tool to move my logs around with; without having to drag them, and more safely also. Any past experiences are appreciated,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

redbeard

I think a log arch would be a great tool to invest in. Many times I have had too either cut a log into shorter lengths or pass on due to not being able to get them close enough to load or in some cases property damage from equipment.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

terrifictimbersllc

Choker cable can be arranged to suck the log right up to the top of the arch.  Tongs won't do that even on the same arch, there's the distance they hang down and then how far down around a bigger log one can get them to grab.  Even if you get a good bite at the max depth you'll lose an inch or more as the tongs sink in on the bigger logs.  As far as max capacity getting the log off the ground is the most important thing, it doesn't matter how much weight it will hold if the log is on the ground.  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

locdogg

the price would do it for me.  if you didn't like the tongs on the EZ, i'm guessing you could probably modify it by putting a choker chain on it and still be under 1k. 

if they are selling it with tongs i'm sure it probably works just fine for most people.  and it's probably quicker to pick up/drop i would guess.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum locdogg.  How about an introduction.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

paul case

I have seen the ez boardwalk log arch in action. Ed takes one with him to the farm shows and uses it to move logs around, most of the time pulling it by hand.
I am certain that Ez boardwalk and  Logrite  arches are both quality, made in the USA tools and you will be happy with purchase and service from which ever you choose.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

rogdan

I don't think the tongs are included for that price on the EZ boardwalk. Speaking of shows, does anyone know in these or any other manufactures of log arch's is at the Virgina farmshow this week?
http://www.virginiafarmshow.com/

Jeff

According to the price list on www.ezboardwalk.com

QuoteEZ ATV Log Arch (Tongs sold Separately)........................
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

caver

I've got an EZBoardwalk but haven't used it much. I have just the choker setup. It's stout, wish it was made of aluminum.  ;D
Baker HD18

r.man

You don't have to get under the log with the tongs so I could see how it would be good to have both methods available depending on the need.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Ironwood

I dont own either, but have seen both in person at seperate events. I would recommend trying to attend some sort of Show where you could look both over and compare weight, ease of use and the VERY critical geometry. Little things could mean alot in terms of shear pleasure to use or totally annoying and a pain in the butt everytime you use it. I have always been impressed with the engineering aspect of certain products and how they are properly built for the intended use and capacity.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!