iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow Pine 9/4 or 2x6

Started by Matrixxdg, August 11, 2020, 02:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matrixxdg

Hi All,
Well the first load out my solar Kiln is coming up this weekend. I am removing the 9/4 yellow pine at 3.5 MC and leaving the red oak a few more weeks.

My question is should I leave it at 9/4 until I am ready to use it, or put it back on the mill and cut it down to 2x6 for a project in the fall?

Thanks,

MG
Woodland Mills HM130XL

Southside

3.5% on your SYP or 13.5%?  If the former, that's gonna give you issues with brittleness and splintering.  Myself I would re-saw it when I was ready to use it in case it decides to move in the meantime.  It might give you issues when resawing as well being dry.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Ditto what Southside says.  
I've never physically been able to get anything down to less than 6% in my solar kiln.  What kind of moisture meter are you using?

When pine, as well as other wood, gets too dry, it gets noticeably less machinable, and if it does get that low, bringing it up in moisture content won't fix the problem.  For example, when the cookies are burned, they are burned, and dunking them in water won't  make them taste better.   :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Something wrong with a man who dunks his cookies in water..... :D  Hammer, you need to get some of those other type of cow - you know the ones with the really big dangly things and then get to dunkin your cookies..   :D  Speaking of which I have a big, glass, bottle in the fridge of our own, now to find the cookies.  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Well, I was trying to cross over to be a parallel with kiln operators trying to rewet overdry wood by throwing water on their kiln floor.  Who would throw a 5 gallon bucket of milk on the bottom of their kiln?  That wouldn't make sense.   :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Old Greenhorn

I am surprised neither one of you suggested chickens.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

Eating wood cookies does not work very well, either, with either water or milk.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

alan gage

Quote from: WDH on August 12, 2020, 07:59:22 AM
I heard you're supposed to soak them in alcohol?
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Ed_K

Hey milk is 87% water before the processor takes the milk out an sells you the water. ;D
Ed K

YellowHammer

Now y'all may be in to something, burnt chocolate chip cookies and moonshine might be the ticket. 8)

With some BBQ chicken on the side.  Maybe with some sole coleslaw and baked beans, and hey, I'm getting hungry.  
YellowHammerisms:

scsmith42

Quote from: WDH on August 12, 2020, 07:59:22 AM
Yeah, but they are high in fiber....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!