iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Mortising What is the best chainsaw / bar and chain to use

Started by Billyboy, September 10, 2013, 04:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billyboy

Hi All

I am new here.... I have ended up on here a few times from google searches... so decided I should sign up..
Please forgive me if there is already a section on this.... I haven't found it..

Im Just trying to find out what sort of saw  and bar and chain combo People use for chainsaw Mortising ect In the log home building industry or any one else that  uses this method?

Also any other tips and tricks to the trade would be great!!
I have done a bit of this already with fencing.... so understand it has a kickback risk..
I am by no means good at it yet but think I could get there...

Thanks In advance
Mitchell

Jim_Rogers

Welcome to the forum.

And you're in the right section to talk about timber framing and log building.
I don't have any personal experiences with using a chain mortiser in log building, but I have used one in timber framing for many years.

My personal machine is a Makita 7104L. Which mortises with the grain.
I got whatever size chain and bar that comes with it as a standard step up.

Lots of the ones from Europe mortise across the grain.
I've seen them work, but I've never operated one of those.

These cross grain ones usually have a higher price tag than the Makita.

Hopefully someone who has some log building experience can give you some more info.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Billyboy

Thanks Jim
Yes I'm more looking at doing it with a normal chainsaw... I have heard a lot of log builders do it that way
but can never find much info, Eventually I wont to build my own home with log posts and sawn timber for the frame..
But I have a lot learn and am just practicing on little projects.
Im finding the forum Great!! I also recently bought A lucas swing blade sawmill so have a lot to learn about that to..
Mitchell

Jim_Rogers

If you wouldn't mind, you should fill out your signature more with your location and other items like what equipment you have. That helps all to understand where you're at and what you have to work with.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Roger Nair

From what I have seen on some TFG workshops, the chainsaw users usually have a log building background.  The saws are lightweight pro saws, what you might expect to be limbing saws.  Electric saws are not preferred due to the lack of throttle control.  The chain is without anti-kickback features and the bars 16 or 18 inches.  The techniques are advanced and dangerous without training.  The International Log Builders Assoc. could be a good resource for training and professional guidance.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

jander3

Billyboy,

We need some more info.  Do you want to cut tenons with chainsaw?  Do you want to poke holes for mortises?  Or are you thinking log building i.e.  cutting notches and lateral grooves.   

As always...it depends.

Roughing out a tenon with a chainsaw is easy work.  Poking a hole for a mortise works, but I've found it is cleaner and faster to hog out the hole with a drill or boring machine.

Log building, that is all about the chainsaw.  And, you with practice you can certainly build your skills. 

For log building I have 3 saws

35-55 cc (16" bar) - cutting and brushing notches

65-75 cc (18" bar) - ripping lateral grooves, cutting down trees, and trimming log ends.

90-110 cc (28" bar) with an Alaskan attachment  - ripping beams and long flats

I've found that the time and money invested to refine log building classes and GOL classes really improved my safety and productivity.   

Chain also depends... I use a semi chisel chain for notches and full chisel for lateral grooves.  To rip a log I like square ground skip chain.

You can find some basic chainsaw information at the following link:

http://www.logbuilding.org/downloads.html

As Jim mentioned if you want something to speed up timber frame mortising a chain mortiser is the way to go

Billyboy

Thank You For Your replies

Sorry for the lack of info...

At the moment i am cutting Mortises in log posts for 6x2s and 4x3 to notch into..
Im using a Husqvarna 455 Rancher with 18in bar and Oregon Chain 21BPX72

It is working ok and i am getting the hang of it a bit but sometimes when im tidying them up I have trouble with the saw wanting to jump around and its hard to keep steady..
Maybe this is normal and my lack of exp is the problem I just thought maybe there was a better chain or something i could be using...

By what your saying the saw is on the big side and the bar to so I will look at..

At the moment i am setting the  logs on to logs on the ground with notches in them to hold them and mortising them  there... I was doing it standing but I get tired quick and its hard to do anything above chest height... I dont no how the pro's do it this is just what I have worked out..

I would like to try doing some tenons as well to...

Also any tips on how to mark out were to put our mortises on a log would help... I mean say you have one at the top of your post and one half way down in another position is there an easy way to mark this out so it lines up perfect..

Sorry if my terms are not up to standard  im still learning the timber language.. :-\

Thanks again
Mitchell

thecfarm

Billyboy,I know less than you on the timber langague, I was just bored,raining off and on,and came to this thread. This should help out.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,4515.0.html
There are about 4 sticky threads that would help you out at the top of this board. And welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Billyboy

Mitchell

Satamax

Quote from: Billyboy on September 13, 2013, 10:21:21 PM
Thanks

I looked on youtube but never found that..

Mitchell, i'm sure there's plenty of other ones.

One word about chainsaws, i'm an absolute fan of stihl, but for lightness, husqvarna can't be beaten.

And for log homes, i know a few who swear by the 372XP, and the 346XP. Obviously the 372 for big cuts, and the 346 for joints etc. That one may be you should check.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!