iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band saw blade length on a DIY sawmill

Started by Mesquite cutter, February 29, 2020, 12:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite cutter

I am planning on building a bandsaw mill.  My question is what length of blade to I get?   Currently, I plan on making it capable of cutting up to 48 inches wide using 19 inch band wheels.  And when I determine what length of saw blade I need, where can I get it?  Who makes custom length sawmill blades?
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill
Youtube:  Retired DIY Guy

Wayniac

when I built my mill I made it so I could use wood mizer blades that way I can just order them and don't have to wait on special length blades glad I did now I can get blades from anybody
wayniac

rastis

Measure the distance between the 2 pulley axles and multiply by 2. Find the circumference of the pulley ( pi x D) Add those 2 numbers together and that is your band length.

My mill will cut 48" between the guides. I use a 221" band, but I also have I also have larger bandwheels than you plan to use

JoshNZ

I built mine without any regard for blade length. When it came time to put a blade on it I wrapped the wheels in pallet strapping (string/whatever) then measured.

Saw shop now knows the length and sends them to me for $60nz each within 2-3 days of asking. $38US. I was delighted to learn their price, I can't put a blade on my 10" table saw for that much. Mine is 188".

There doesn't seem to be any factory made blades available in NZ, they're all brazed together at whatever length off a roll. But if there is a commonly available size in the US I can see designing to that length would make sense

BtoVin83

Pretty rough figuring but at least 175". You figure 19 x pi =~60, that gets you center line on the axles. To cut any kind of thickness your 48 starts inside to side of the tires so add 19 =~78. now two times your 48 for top and bottom 2* 48 plus the other =~175. Experience tells me a little bit more

Thank You Sponsors!