iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

Heart smiley_heart shaped sugar cookies. (Sugar Maple that is.) ;D

I peeled the bark off a few, and shaved the edge a little, to try to make them more attractive.

Cut enough from 1 log to make a nice stack on the pallet.  8)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

Very cool, i had some ERC come out like Christmas trees, and today cut a ERC and the butt of one looked like a heart.  i cut one for the owner, a fellow pediatrician, but did not take a picture.  ERC is like those ink blot tests, might disclose something about your personality.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

Quote from: Resonator on May 30, 2019, 08:20:16 PM
Heart smiley_heart shaped sugar cookies. (Sugar Maple that is.) ;D

I peeled the bark off a few, and shaved the edge a little, to try to make them more attractive.

Cut enough from 1 log to make a nice stack on the pallet.  8)
Those pups will sell ! :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

Quote from: Resonator on May 30, 2019, 08:20:16 PM
Heart smiley_heart shaped sugar cookies. (Sugar Maple 
here is what i made a few years back with maple cookies.

and here is the ERC looking like a Christmas tree.  I guess we are already missing winter! :D

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

Your pith is off center, bad.  I always suspected something :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

WOW! Danny!!! a little grouchy?  :D :D :D  here is the heart shaped ERC,  Dr. Losew sent me a pic.  

This must be what Danny's heart is shaped like!   8)

WDH

Kinda looks like my finger except that the right half would be missing...
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hilltop366

Quote from: doc henderson on May 30, 2019, 08:24:49 PMand today cut a ERC and the butt of one looked like a heart

So if you turn it upside down the butt will look like a butt. ;D

doc henderson

Quote from: WDH on May 30, 2019, 08:47:10 PM
Kinda looks like my finger except that the right half would be missing...
Well you can forget about being asked to judge anything since you will prob never give a score higher than 9.5, at least if you give a score by holding up your hands!    :) :) :)

Resonator

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 30, 2019, 08:27:20 PMThose pups will sell !

Thanks! Hopefully they are good sellers, especially in June! smiley_love

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

123maxbars

I just started on a big Chinese Chestnut log last week before taking my Son to Disney in Florida for the week, Just got back home and I hope to finish up this log tomorrow. Forward to about the 6 minute mark to see the sawing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZj5WbZNWdA
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

doc henderson

Tule, we thought their might be some aliens out in Cali!!!   ;D :D :) :D ;D :D :)

doc henderson

great wood and great video 123!!!

Southside

Doc your Christmas tree cedar looks like a cow sonogram.  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Nathan, that is beautiful wood.  You outdid yourself once again. 

busenitzcww

I just about threw this log away.....but decide to try it :o

doc henderson

If you do not want it, I can haul it away for you!!!   8)  I am only 50 minutes from you.  nice.  never hurts to peak inside.

doc henderson

see, logging and forestry are alive and well in Kansas.  I think i can almost see the mountains 500 miles in the background of your photo!!  past the trees and blue sky~! :D :D :D

doc henderson

Quote from: Southside on May 30, 2019, 11:36:09 PM
Doc your Christmas tree cedar looks like a cow sonogram.  ;D
You are right, that is "udderly" amazing.  at least we got you off chickens!!! 8)  did you ever stop to think, maybe your cow sonograms look like Christmas trees? ink blot test!

alan gage

Quote from: busenitzcww on May 31, 2019, 02:08:42 PM

I just about threw this log away.....but decide to try it :o
I'm curious from those of you who have done a lot of this sort of thing: What are the success rates when drying slabs like this? I'm sure a lot depends on species, how it's dried, and luck but any sort of ballpark would help. I've got plenty of ugly logs and I'm torn between turning them into firewood or taking the time to saw and sticker them. I know most will be a PITA to saw and I'm worried about going to all that work only to end up with a bunch of cracked, split, and twisted slabs. Mostly bur oak, maple, and walnut.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Resonator

With how popular it is right now, I think any Walnut would be worth the trouble of sawing. Remember you can always cut the slabs into smaller pieces for turning blocks, handles, shelves, etc. and cut around the defects.

Brad_bb

Alan, No such thing as Walnut firewood.  With slabs these days, the uglier the log the better.  Seal the ends with Anchorseal, Stack and sticker it out of the sun for 6 months to a year, then kiln dry them.  I've heard the solar Kilns are working pretty well for slabs, and they are relatively cheap to build.  You can build more than one.  Or you could DH Kiln dry them.  They will do whatever they will do.  A crack or void is an opportunity for a bowtie, epoxy fill, or whatever creative thing your head can dream up.  After they are good and dry you need to have a way to flatten the slabs.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Crossroads on May 26, 2019, 10:04:15 PM
It may sound counter intuitive, but sometimes on those stubborn nails that have been in place for a while. If you give them a whack with the hammer, it will break the bond and pull easier.
I've done that many times
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WDH

In my experience, walnut like that will dry nice.  Oak like that will crack and split and crack and split.  

Thank You Sponsors!