iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Nice looking walnut!  Congrats on the mill. 

You're jumping right into the deep end of the pool with that hickory  smiley_devil.  I'll be curious to see how the 747's work on that. The kasko 4 degree work pretty well on hickory  smiley_devil If you don't like the way the 747,s work. 

Welcome to the forum!
HM126

DPatton

Quote from: Grass Farmer on October 30, 2019, 05:23:27 PM
After 2 years at a friends farm, I finally got my mill home.  First project for myself was some 8/4 walnut slabs. I cut them with Kasco 7/8" 4°.  Bands cut fine till I backed the band into the cant and popped it off  >:(.  I hope I learnt that lesson!  (Probably not)    I want to say thanks to all of you for your collective participation on this forum.  
I would say that was your friends fault. Not having your mill for two years got you outta practice!  ;D ;D ;D Personally I think it should be mandatory to knock a band off while returning the saw head every 100 hrs or so,  although it's never happened to me ;).
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Stephen1

Quote from: WDH on October 30, 2019, 10:17:38 AM
Are those going in the vacuum kiln?
I will be loading them in the Kiln on saturday morning. I have a bunch of logs I have scrounged all summer. I will be staying at home to saw all of November and before I shut down for the winter. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Grass Farmer

Thanks guys!  I'll let you know how the devils sister saws up for me. 

thecfarm

Grass Farmer,good to see you posting.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

Quote from: Bruno of NH on October 30, 2019, 05:00:28 PM
YH
That's some up town oak smiley_thumbsup
Thanks, I appreciate it. 
The odd thing is that I was going to stop quartersawing red oak, I mean who buys that?  So I let my stockpile go to nothing because I was going to phase it out, concentrate on QSWO, and then people started complaining that I was running out and they wanted it.  They couldn't get it anywhere else and if I stopped, they were hung out to dry.  So now I'm back to stocking QS red oak.  
So....does anybody else sell QSRO and what do folks use it for?  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

I get very little call for it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

I've sawn it for flooring and woodworking several dozen times.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

The quarter sawn red oak was very popular in the Victorian homes in the area I live in.
I lived in one of them before I built my home.
The developer I worked for owned it.l renovated it for my rent.lt had a library with all qsrdok paneling and cabinets in it.
A 3 story grand staircase all qsrdok .
It all had some hand rubbed oil finish on it.
It was beautiful. 
It was a sad day when the house sold.
The carriage house was just as nice as the main house.
It sold for 1 mill.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Roundhouse

After a summer of doing other projects I got out there Saturday and fired up the mill for a pair of eastern hemlock logs that have been languishing on my log deck for months. I cut them into 6 x 6 beams to use as cribbing under a truck camper along with some side lumber (mostly 2x6s and 2x4s).

Nice sunny day in the upper 50s, probably the last one for the year.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Southside

Pine flooring blanks - these will go through the kiln and then the moulder to become actual flooring.  One of my best selling products.  

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

E-Tex

great looking flooring boards! 
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Brad_bb

On Wednesday, I finished sawing that gun barreled Ash in my previous post.  All the wood is totally clear except the two pith 2x4's.   I got 15 2x8.5 boards, of which 11 were true quarter sawn, 4 were rift sawn, and one was flat sawn.  I also got 5 2x4's,  2 2x6's, and 4  5/4 boards you see on top.  2 of the 2x4's contain the pith- they'll likely be ok for lumber pallet stringers.  I am going to have additional T&G made from the 2x8.5's.  I need more than this though.  Later in the winter I'll be at the site I was organizing Ash logs on, and will have plenty to cut.  I just had one last Ash log here at home, and decided is was nice enough to quarter saw.

Today I planed a number beams while Johnny K sanded the live edge on ones like these, then I planed them flat.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Bruno of NH

Milled my first butternut today on shares for FF member Mike Dillon 
I really like the WM 747 airliners they cut great on my mill. All 2" stock

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

Not sawing but I did cut an ash tree down today. The top has been falling out and I cut it for firewood then cut the tree which was wedged between a beech and a poplar. It was growing in the run off from the big holler above. The tree fell and I cut the top for firewood till I I was afraid the 20' sawlog (12"+ SED) would fall back in the creek. I went and got the tractor and barely made it up the steep slope after our recent rainy weather, hooked to the log and still managed to bump it back in the creek and could not pull it up the 6' cut. arg-smiley(I am sure the rest of you never have days like that!) I'll come back later with a cable and snatch block and drag it down the runoff. I was going to do that later this afternoon but was moving dirt I got from the road department the last time they cleaned our ditches and wore a hole in a hydraulic hose on the FEL so will hold fire till I replace that. I have several more a mile up the road a neighbor offered me and I will likely go get them later this week. The tree trimmers cut them last summer but they look good with reasonable access. I might even just take the mill up and saw them there if I decide to keep them longer than I can load with my undersized tractor and FEL on my 5X8 trailer. I'll cut the tops up for firewood for the lady so they will still make out well.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

I had boys around  we didn't cut much we got some other good projects done. We did cut a hollow Mulberry trunk ive had waiting  years to be done. It was all gnarly and bug eaten but I plan on using it as in indoor decoration after a little solubor and dry time(it will be years yet, but its under a roof now).  We got it leveled and split pretty close to center, then I had the boys pick a log off of the pile  some green ash it was, got it squared up before light ran out. It was more about them running the tractors, setting  the log,  helping level, clamp and  turn.  I got to have boys help with out asking it was a good afternoon.  These days are hard to come by.  :)    

DWyatt

Had a crazy busy weekend with all day Saturday running the mill with Dad! Cut up this pile of logs, it was cottonwood, Red Oak, and Red Elm. All of which came from the woods around my house.

I didn't take any pictures until I was cutting the Elm which I did last. That Elm was standing dead and gave some absolutely beautiful lumber and some even nicer slabs. Thought of @WV Sawmiller and the benches he makes while I was slabbing this Elm to 6/4.

Here's the final stacks of lumber and the sheet where I figured everything up. 1024 bf total. About an average of 150 bf/hr including set up and tear down of the mill. It was a great day spent with Dad. Now just to get all this lumber sticked ::)

WV Sawmiller

Dwatt,

That curvy elm looks more like Brad's timber framing than my benches. BTW - I find 6/4 a little to thin to hold the tenons on the legs tight enough. If I were using them I'd shim up about half inch or so. Pretty wood. I am sure it will be put to good use.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Stephen1

I really like Elm, I use them as cutting boards and they look beautiful and hold up well to the knife
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bruno of NH

Milled some Norwegian maple and white oak crotch today.The first time with both woods. 747 band

Bruno of NH

Saved this from the firewood plie I think it's red maple but I have never seen one this big.
The butt is 5' this is the 2nd cut log.
It has nice color and figure 

WV Sawmiller

Man, I can't believe nobody added to this thread for nearly a week. I've got several customers on a short lead as soon as they and I can coordinate our schedules or they get their logs ready. One guy says he has a bunch of assorted logs and a skid steer with a nice grapple. I told him take that nice grapple and make one nice single stack and tell me when it is ready to come saw. Another has a bunch of logs from an old dismantled barn and he confirmed most have no nails and you can see most of the rest. I told him when he gets those pulled call me back and it will be $25/band for every nail he missed. Another was ready but had to go help one of his kids move (Been there, done that so I know how that happens). I decided I better fire up the mill just to make sure everything was working fine. It wasn't. I could not get the side supports down below about 3"  till finally found a 3"X3"X5" piece of the last bench leg I cut off stuck in the claw spring. All worked fine after that. 

I got 3 "free" ash logs from a neighbor a mile away. I hauled several of the tops up and sawed them up for her for firewood till one log hung and I broke my tractor (Not sure if it is a drive shaft or a linkage of some kind in the transmission - there was a snap and now it won't engage and move forward or backwards). I do know pick up and return will cost me $150 plus the repairs. You got to love those free logs! Actually the ash tops were laying on a nice 16' walnut I wanted. Been down long enough the sapwood is gone but heart looks good. I will go back for it when John is fixed and time and weather permit.

10' ash logs make nice 5' tomato stakes when cut in half at an angle. They will sit a while but periodically someone will call and want 15-20 dozen at a time. A little time consuming as I have not taken the time to set up and make and process them very efficiently but still yields about $2/bf for poor grade logs.

2 piddling ash logs. One with a lot of sweep 

Cut into 1" square stickers, put about 45 at a time on sawhorses. 

Saw in half at an angle to put a point on each side

Bundle 12 to a pack, tie with a salvaged hay string and sell for $10/dz. 22 dozen from the 2 logs with a few 2' and 3' stickers. One bundle of 4' stakes which will also sell. This is not the most efficient way to make them but low tech and no extra equipment required.
Howard Green

SawyerTed

Not so much "what" but "where"....

It did turn out to be some very nice maple.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

jb616

"Man, I can't believe nobody added to this thread for nearly a week"  probably chasing deer!  the Rut is on! fudd-smiley

WV Sawmiller

Yes, I have seen several scrapes on our place and watched a nice young buck yesterday as he apparently was checking his scrapes instead of coming over to my blind and feeder for our archery appointment. The good thing is he was in easy rifle shot if he keeps that up 2 weeks from now. I delayed my bow hunting and missed the first 6 weeks of bow season here because of hot weather and Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease here which killed a lot of deer last summer. the good thing is that the cold weather killed the bugs carrying it and the survivors look to be in real good shape.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!