iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stone Barn foundation repair help

Started by WR Cascade, January 20, 2016, 02:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WR Cascade

I need to repair a smaller area maybe 4' long by 2' tall on the top of a stone barn wall.  Barn is a 16' x 24' bank barn, field stone with mortar.

The stone in that area was pushed off by a tree, which is now dead.   Most of the other 3 walls are in very good shape. 

Has anyone done this themselves?   I will am planning to rebuild the original barn shape on top of the barn foundation.   

I have a variety of mortar and cement projects under my belt, so mostly looking for some help with the correct mortar to use, and advice from someone who has done a similar structural repair.

Thanks,

WR

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Someone will be able to get you some good information, or at least some good discussion. Color will be important, IMO, as you likely don't want it to stand out from the old wall.

Click your Forum name, and it will take you to where you can update your profile with at least your location. Helps to answer your questions, understand more about your posts, and am sure you like knowing that when reading others' posts..  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WR Cascade

For me, I am looking to get the right materials identified to do this structural repair correctly.   

Color would be ok to be close, but initial focus is getting the correct mortar type figured out.   Possibly where to get the mortar, if not a Home Depot or Menards item, process for mixing if Lime based...

It seems people repair these old stone walls with Portland based mortars and it may lead to more issues long term.   

SE Wisconsin

nopoint

I usually use 5 parts bridge sand, 1 part Portland and a short 1 of hydrated lime. This makes for softer mortar more like the original. Bridge sand has larger grits than mason sand and works better for setting stone, but not great for facing or tuck pointing. The barn was done originally with local materials. Sometimes dep ding on the job it is possible to sift your own sand on site or nearby. A small chunk like you referred to is no big deal, get it fixed up before the whole wall is shot.

Thank You Sponsors!