iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut timber prices!!!

Started by sigidi, May 03, 2005, 12:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

A fellow member to our fantastic Forum, J D in Aus contacted me with regards to possibly supplying some timber to folkes he knows.

Well the list wasn't a very big one, but a fair amount of timber. My upset comes from what they where originally quoted by some other gang of bandits. ( I have to call them bandits as they quoted an absolutely extreme amount of $'s for this reasonable amount of timber)

I won't post the $'s for it (as I haven't spoken to John about publishing any of this info) but this is the list;

• 200x200x4.5m, 4 of 
  • 200x50x4.5m, 4 of
  • 150x50x3.5m, 4 of and
  • 100x100x1.2m, 6 of

Now I don't try to rip folkes off, I try and cut for a fair rate which still puts food on our table and keeps me doing what I love - cutting timber. If someone comes to me with a price for cut timber, I look at my costs and do my best to give them a better price than they came to me with, admittedly sometimes sourcing a logs may be difficult and time consuming etc, but I choose to do this job and it isn't Joe Public who should be paying for my choice of job???

What would you guys be expecting to pay for the above cut list in hardwood? I know 8"x8" is a big stick of timber and it will certainly have to come from a few logs to furnish the order, but am I missing something in supplying this at a much lower cost than the original quote?
Always willing to help - Allan

Percy

Hmmmm. Cant really say if you are missing anything from all the way over here in Canada ;D ..... but in my opinion, if the logs that can make that particular product are plentiful and there are many who are able to produce the product, the price should take care of itself... eventually. The problem arises when someone cuts a beam that can only be made from a particular log that would be hard to find(expensive).  So the beam is priced accordingly. When another sawmiller hears of the price you got for the rare beam, well he thinks they all should be priced that way. Those type of millers usually dont last if they dont learn.  On the other hand, you have a certain amount of expertise and knowledge gained from running your mill and that should be charged for accordingly. Its all about balance.... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

sawyerkirk

We make our living here by doing want other mills don't want to do. Odd shaped or size timbers, wedges, stakes, chocks etc. When cutting odd size timbers, I can pretty much charge whatever I want, because other mills don't want to mess with it. I have never been afraid to charge an outrageous price for something, cause I know they can't get it elswhere. I deal mainly with shipyards and railroads, when they work on a project, they don't care the cost of the wood, as it is such a minute portion of the project. Call me a bandit if you like, I've been called much worse, charging extra on one project makes up for what I lost on all some of the others!!

sigidi

Kirk, mate I'd not be thinking you'd be a bandit for supplying something which is 'too difficult' for others to be bothered with. HTat sounds like good business planning and management.

My issue comes from what I reckon are pretty standard things, being charged and stupid amount - maybe it's 'cause these folkes have spoken to someone who can't do the job or is just too busy for it?

It's just bloody rude!! Ok getting down from the soapbox now ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!