iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sugar maple questions

Started by qbilder, October 04, 2012, 04:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have worked with two cue makers in WI that go from woods to finished product.  Incidentally, I do believe that sugar maple is the same in most of its range, except on the edges of the range.  However, hard maple includes black maple and that can be a slight problem.  What makes northern maple better is that the weather is cold, so logs can be stored briefly withoutmloss.  For a smaller operation, consider buying logs and then keeping them in a refrigerator truck when shipping to prevent color loss.  Drying Hardwood Lumber gives very practical info on color control in drying.  Never exceed 105 F until under 20% MC.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

qbilder

I do not know of the Wisconsin builders cutting logs. I have a guess, though.

I haven't posted pictures on here in quite some time. I'll see if I can remember how, and post up up a few.   
God bless our troops

qbilder

All of my pics are in --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--. How do I transfer them to my gallery?
God bless our troops

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

qbilder

God bless our troops

qbilder

Trying again. Last one too small.

God bless our troops

qbilder

Ok I think I got it. Here are a few:

God bless our troops

qbilder

A few more:

And here is a chunk of wood I recently milled for cues:

God bless our troops

beenthere

Good on the pics.
And while you are at it, you can notice a couple handy tools for posting. One is the "Preview" button, to look over your post before posting it. The other is the "Modify" button, to make a change to a post for any corrections. Then there are not empty posts scattered around. ;)

Nice looking cues. A good use for the white maple. And a talent to behold.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

qbilder

Quote from: beenthere on October 09, 2012, 12:52:00 PM
Good on the pics.
And while you are at it, you can notice a couple handy tools for posting. One is the "Preview" button, to look over your post before posting it. The other is the "Modify" button, to make a change to a post for any corrections. Then there are not empty posts scattered around. ;)

Nice looking cues. A good use for the white maple. And a talent to behold.  8)

Thanks much for the advice and compliment :)
God bless our troops

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Those are really nice for sure.

If you experiment a little, maybe you have, and select pieces of hard maple that have rings of less curvature (almost flat) and like layers of a sandwich (no run out), you may find that the ray figure comes to the surface much better.  You will only have it on 2/4's of the cue, but would look as brilliant as the other figured woods in the but sections. ;) You would be looking for the larger diameter trees. Also, pieces that include some ribbon streak.

Ribbon

Might even find some tiny eye like these that aren't a pain to smooth and finish like large eye can be. This was just selected on grade not figure. I find it is quite common in our northern maple. At least I find a fare bit in the lumber at the local wholesaler/broker.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Anderson

Man those cue's are just awesome!

Nomad

Thanks Qbilder.  Very pretty work!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

qbilder

God bless our troops

Thank You Sponsors!