iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying Logs

Started by BubbaG, March 05, 2012, 04:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbaG

I need some advice on buying logs--if even possible.
How can I buy a small amount of logs.  Let's say 5-10 Cherry logs with a 16 to 18 inch diameter.  Do I buy these from a mill, or do I find a logger and have them deliver to a mill.  I'm pretty clueless but highly interested.

My thoughts are that it is too little work for anyone to mess with.  I would like to do this a couple times/year but have no capacity to store a full load.  Hence the small "order".

I live in Lake St. Louis right on Interstate 70, West of St. Louis.

I would also take short logs which are rejected or of little use as lumber. 

ely

talk to your local loggers and also tree services, that would be the best bet.

BubbaG

Ok. How would I go about getting a full truck load of cherry?  Not a lot of logging right here.  How far will loggers deliver?

bandmiller2

Bubba,if you have your own mill,talk to several tree service co's that take down trees and tell them what you want,if your not in a big rush.If you don't have a mill try to find a smaller commercial mill in your area and let them fill the order at their conveniance when they get the logs.Commercial mills usally don't want anything to do with yard trees the tree service guys cut. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

MHineman

Each state can be different.  Technically in Indiana, you'd have to have a Timber Buyer's license to buy the logs, but that's not really going to be an issue as you'd be officially buying firewood logs.
  See if Missouri has a Timber Buyer list with the DNR.  You should be able to search for Timber Buyers near you.  Many Timber Buyers also do the logging or at least is the person that owns the logs.
  Ask them if they have what you are looking for near you.  You can probably go to their site with a trailer and have them load the logs.
  Find out before what log scale is used in your area and then get familar with it.  Be sure to scale the logs before you leave and agree on the board-foot estimate you are paying for.
  Some Buyers have a concentration yard.  There are often short and rough logs sitting along the side just looking for a new home for very little cash.
  Right now Cherry prices are down in my area, so hopefully you will find some at a good price.
  If you want to come all the way to East Indiana, I have a few Cherry logs.  It's unclear if you want the logs to mill yourself or just want lumber.  I have a mill too.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

chain

If you have means to haul a few logs I'd go down around the Potosi or Fredericktown areas.. There are still lots of blow-downs from the numerous storms the past three years. Call the local Resource Forester or MTNF manager, they could give you some info or a permit to log out some State Forest damages or possibly conservation areas for salvaged timber. Lots of Mark Twain National Forest timber downed also.

P.S. The foresters may also help you find a logger salvaging ..could be you best bet.

Kansas

Let me suggest another route. Advertise on Craigslist that you want some cherry logs. Put up a notice on bulletin boards where farmers hang out. Livestock auction barns, TSC if they have one or similar, grocery stores, coffee shops, local bars. Maybe a small ad in the local newspaper.  Your best bet to get a small amount of cherry logs if they are in the area is to go directly to landowners that might have a few that blew down, or clearing a field, or something. We get a lot of calls from landowners and farmers wanting to get rid of a few. You might get other species, although you may not want them.

NWP

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/373.pdf

Check this out.  MO Directory of Primary Wood Processors.  It is broke down by county.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!