iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

power poles for pier foundation???

Started by okie, November 03, 2007, 05:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadwood

Okie I am too far away to help you in real life, but I would if I could. I really would, you seem like a good guy all in all. I can give you good honest advice though, and that is from someone that has a bad back and not a lot of money...not a good combination for a 33 year old, but I digress...

I was thinking of this post the other day as I finished up some baseboard. I thought I would share it with you, not because of what I did so much (its not something everyone would like) but the concept is sound.

Well here in Maine...the Pine Tree State...you can get pine boards for a song, so I had a problem. Pine boards look kind of cheapy while hardwood lumber can be expensive...or time consuming if I use the wood that comes off my own land. Anyway I decided that I could kind of mitigate the cheapy look of pine by spending more time on making my baseboard and hopefully I would get a custom look. So that is what I did.

As you can see from the pictures I added some heart shape cut outs to my daughters room, shamrocks for my Irish wife for our bedroom, and for the spare kids bedroom...well what the hay, I got a 50% shot so I went with tractor cutouts. Between the peacocks feathers on the doorway plinth blocks, and upturns on all the corners (even inside the closets), its shows that this is definately not a spec house.

The point here is you can really get one-of-a-kind custom looking home by spending far more time on various projects than most contractors ever would. They use expensive materials to make a custom house, all you really need to do is spend extra time doing everything. Just food for thought.

okie

Deadwood, I like what you did on the baseboards there, that looks real slick. I am a scrounger by nature, get it from my mom and dad, we never had money so I spent my life watching my dad make do. Once our mower quit and I went with him to the dump and we found 3 and came home and at the end of the day we had a running mower, I have been doing things much the same ever since. If I can get somethin cheap I am happy, if I can do a little work and get it for free I am thrilled, I however dont care much to having things give to me for nothing if that makes any sense, it hurts my pride I guess. I am everso thankfull for all the helpfull advice folks on this board has took the time to give me, and Scott sent me a stonework book that I think will be indespensible in coming months. I am going to start a thread showing my land, the view, and what it looked like before I started clearing and do a step by step journal like QWeaver did, it will be long and drawn out and kinda boring but one of these days there will be an end product and maybe yall can stop me from making mistakes along the way.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

ely

good luck in your adventure, we will be waiting on the pictures.
and yes you are welcome to the mill anytime you can catch me not hunting. :D

okie

Ely, the first time you invited me you said anytime you werent fishin  :D. Saturday opens gun for us are you goin? I'll be at a farm auction :'( , too much there that I need to pass it up.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

ely

yes i have a house full of hunters coming in this weekend, and we will probably go bowfishing at nite also. farm auctions are great places if you got the cash. they do get alot of my cash i know that. but yes you are welcome aanytime you get free time to steal away.

Thank You Sponsors!