iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Naming your equipment

Started by Bert, March 28, 2014, 09:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I think this is a good topic to bump back up, it never got the input it could have got. i can add to it.

We call my newest to me 2000 silverado 4red because its the 4th red one in a row. And of course we have Mr. Truck.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

My skidder is the "Drag Queen" because she can pull a house without any effort, and the feller buncher is "Big Pig" as one day I was crawling around on those 72" tall, 60" wide tires and said to myself, "this thing is one big pig of a machine".   One day I will get someone to paint those names across the back of each one.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Downstream

I have a slightly different naming game we play.  When I finish a new piece of live edge furniture if it picks up a name from my wife then I can't put it up for sale.  That is the loose rule of thumb.  Here is an example of one of the first items affected by this policy.  My wife called it the "knobby knee" table first time she saw it.  When I started to price it she calmly stated that I can't sell it because it has been named.  I guess kind of like old school farm animals that became pets.  I did quickly put a limit on the naming game informing my wife that it is not a business If I can't sell anything.  Fortunately, she has only named a couple of items.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Southside

The cows get names too, the heifers get endearing names and the bull calves get cut of beef names, Slider, Tri-tip, Arby, etc.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Pine Ridge

I've got an old 1990 chevy 4x4 pickup, bought it off a guy named Bob, so i wanted to call it Bob. My wife calls it the bomb, she said it may blow up at anytime.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Kindlinmaker

I've named a few thru the years.  Several got names that shouldn't be repeated in mixed company because of performance issues but a few got names because I just enjoyed them. My favorite was a bale chopper named PacMan - loved watching huge bales of straw spinning around, being chopped up and blown out. 

Was always going to buy a new fishing boat when I retired and name it after my bride.  I decided to stay inland and enjoy my wood habit instead of fishing. When I bought a new Kubota M62 to replace a smaller Deere for moving logs, I used the boat name for it.  Not sure the name helped any when I told my wife I had ordered it and got that cold look only wives have.  Didn't help much when I told her it cost a whole lot less, is easier on fuel and more productive than a boat either. 

Just picked up an Eastonmade 22-28. What a beast.  Love watching it tear thru wood.  That one will definitely get a name. 
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

scgargoyle

Every old truck I've owned was called 'Bubba'. My '65 Ford tractor was dubbed 'Sven' because it's blue and yellow (loader), the colors of the Swedish flag. Her beloved Oldsmobile was named 'Bessie'. Equipment has to be around a while to earn a name. My new zero-turn has a long way to go.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

clww

I name all my OTR tractors. Starting in alphabetical order with "Amanda", to the current one I just picked Tuesday, "Fred".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WV Sawmiller

As to naming farm animals I used to name my billy goats after various politicians whose traits they exhibited. If you ever raised goats you will understand that was not complimentary and maybe unfair to the goats but I digress.

My Mill is generally Milly.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bert

Well since this was first written old Harvey and AJ passed away. Darryl and Jack are still going strong.
Saw you tomorrow!

lxskllr

My robot was named Robby by one of the contractors I work with. He loves that thing. Me OTOH... I'd get banned if I listed the names I've given it.   :^P

Would have been nice if it got stolen with my personal gear...

Ed_K

I've only named one. Taylor skidder is Jimmy, my oldest son had a imaginary friend "jimmy" and it was born to same month same yr as my son maybe a few days difference but I don't think so.It's strong headed and doesn't quit just like danny. And of coarse it has a detroit too.
Ed K

gspren

The female voice in any of my vehicle GPS's is "Gypsy" for gps lady. My brother calls his Rhoda for road atlas. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

My 1954 Oliver OC 6 crawler is good ole Ollie .

Corley5

None of the names I've given to equipment are allowed in a family friendly environment.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DFILER2

Not sure why but we usually named equipment also, I had a 770 Oliver with a loader we called "Ollie" and a Ford Major diesel that was such a good little tractor I promoted it to "Seargent Major". Those are the only two I can remember.

alan gage

My skidloader is named Skiduardo. 

Everyone else wanted to name it Skiddy but that was too obvious.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

reride82

My 1996 Chevy 3/4 ton is "Ol Red" because of the color, My Farmall M is Margaret, the newly acquired Cat D4 is Delores, and I really like Milly for the Belsaw ;D

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Warbird

The log splitter I call "Jewel Crusher" cause on more than one occasion while splitting a really gnarly log, when it came apart, pieces nearly took out the family jewels if you know what I mean.

The F350 dually is called "Big Bertha" cause well, uhhh, a friend who is a LEO was following me after lunch when the truck was new.  He called me up and made some comments about big rear ends.  And it's probably best if the story stops there.  ;D 

breederman

When I was breeding cows I drove.a white mini van for several years that a customer named the giant sperm. I am now on my second company truck named genny ,after the name of the company plastered on the side of it. 
Together we got this !

caveman

I refer to my wife's Suburban as the Chevy Lemon.  It is not yellow. My first Chevy.
Caveman

moodnacreek

My first forklift, an IH 350 u conversion, I named Dougy, after my son. When people asked how I did things around here like heavy lifting I would say Dougy helped me.

hedgerow

I have a old homemade tractor that the wife named it after the builder. Had a old ford cabover semi years ago that was named old rust. We have several farms that are named after the old owners that are long gone. 

alan gage

Quote from: hedgerow on July 23, 2019, 08:59:59 AM
We have several farms that are named after the old owners that are long gone.
I have friends that do that too. But one piece of land is named "shaky", which describes their financing at the time.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

WV Sawmiller

My daughter would not entertain naming my grandson "Sawyer" when he was born. :(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!