iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Man, I HATE truck shopping!

Started by Old Greenhorn, August 02, 2019, 12:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

In my experience, the Dodge death wobble will not quit until you come to a complete stop.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

It actually went away completely when I got rid of the DanG truck, didn't even have to buy any of those "update kits" either.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

Is the 'death wobble' sometimes called 'twerking'? Two years or so ago, there were Dodge billboards that shouted out "our rears don't twerk! "
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Old Greenhorn

Y=The death wobble comes from the front end, it occurred at a specific speed when you hit a small bump, like a bridge joint. For me I think it was around 63 MPH and the wobble would shake the steering wheel out of your hand. It would not stop until you got your speed well down, for me about 50mph, but it was a while ago. It was solved, if I recall, by replacing the steering stabilizer, around #00 bucks. It would come back every 20,000 miles or so (i don't recall the mileage, really). Once I had it figured out, it was an easy fix. I had it on a full sized 2500.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

btulloh

Weren't there several recalls related to that problem?  I remember something about a class action a few years back. What model years had the problem?
HM126

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: btulloh on August 17, 2019, 07:32:50 PM
Weren't there several recalls related to that problem?  I remember something about a class action a few years back. What model years had the problem?
I forget, that was 2 trucks ago. I think I had a 2001?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Actually read an article this week that Fiat just found a fix for the problem in the latest Jeep, something about temps and a damper, so sounds like they are still chasing the ghost. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Anything with a solid front axle is prone to the wobble. We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that does it too.
Too many irons in the fire

alan gage

We have an old '98 in the shop now with a serious death wobble around 35mph when braking from highway speeds. I thought the truck was going to fall apart and I think at least 6 teeth shook out of my head.

The front track bar is very loose and what's triggering it seems to be the very warped front brake rotors that cause a shake when braking. The brakes get it started and once it hits the right frequency it just starts feeding itself.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

moosehunter

The track bar is the main issue with those dodges. I've also replaced steering boxes and steering shocks. Dodge solved the problem by switching to a rack and pinion system in the mid 2000s. Not sure of the year. Now Ford is using the same track bar system and having the same death wobble issue.

mg
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Thank You Sponsors!