iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clark

Quote from: IndiLina on June 25, 2022, 10:54:03 PM
Nope. That was done maybe a year before I bought the tract. So 2-3 years ago. I'm not sure I'm sold on prescribed burns. I'm a fan of building soil, and the burns seem to leave less material for building soil.

The native pines around here generally prefer sandy soils. Of course, soil is a bit of an exaggeration. Sandy soils have very little structure, very little duff and are drought prone. The species that grow there are adapted to the sand and the two promote fire.

What little I know of the SE is that these general conditions on sandy sites are basically the same. If your pine is growing on sand then you are better off burning it.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

barbender

The pine I saw in Georgia was growing on nasty red clay. Interestingly, it was planted in corn until the mid-80's, had grown cotton prior to that. Lots of signs of abused and wore out land, with wash out gulleys and no top soil. But for a Minnesota guy, it was amazing to see the size and height of that loblolly when it was only about 30 years old. And it was a poor quality stand because of the poor site. 
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Quote from: teakwood on June 26, 2022, 08:17:54 AM
Went droping 25 trees yesterday, excellent premium teak, 16years old, heartwood is dark as the night and very little sapwood, 14-16" diam. that's exactly what you want in a teak plantation

How often do you get into it with a Fer-de-lance ? Is it as bad there as they say ? 

teakwood

:D :D, it's called a terciopelo in spanish. here they are not that common, i have seen 2 or 3 the last 20years, they are BAD, and aggressive. the rattlers are way more present but not that agressive and they give a heads up with the rattle  :D.

It's really not that bad, the worker who goes in first with his machete to cut the underbrush gets the worst part. but the nastiest things are the small ones, not the snakes. the ants, ticks, wasps, bees,....  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ehp

My Dad did timber cruising for the USA govt for 3 years in Belize and I can tell you those snakes are everywhere there and lots of others , I was down there once for 2 weeks and pretty much seen snakes everyday and lots of days many snakes a day,  huge timber but 1 or 2 trees per acre was the average 

nativewolf

Cut a bit of slope for a new landing spot.  2' of a loam topsoil.  No wonder the forest is so nice.
Liking Walnut

Nebraska

I have a little of that nice black dirt here, but more of it is closer to that clay underneath. Looks like good ground.

nativewolf

So soft you can put your hand all the way through it til you hit clay, it's something.

The site is supporting over 30k feet/acre of Yellow Poplar in spots.  130-140' for the best parts of it, that's pretty good in our neck of the woods (though our PNW folks would laugh at us).

Liking Walnut

quilbilly

Quote from: nativewolf on June 29, 2022, 10:11:16 PM

So soft you can put your hand all the way through it til you hit clay, it's something.

The site is supporting over 30k feet/acre of Yellow Poplar in spots.  130-140' for the best parts of it, that's pretty good in our neck of the woods (though our PNW folks would laugh at us).
I wouldn't laugh at 30k per acre. That's a nice stand. Where I live is much different than Skeans. He is in really good country. A 35 year Rayonier stand in my area is about 20k on most ground and state 60 year is a little over twice that. 
a man is strongest on his knees

chainsaw

Earth first,we`ll log the other planets later

IndiLina

Quote from: nativewolf on June 29, 2022, 12:16:30 PM

Cut a bit of slope for a new landing spot.  2' of a loam topsoil.  No wonder the forest is so nice.
Why I'd like to leave some litter to build some topsoil.   

Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

caveman

JMoore and I went over to a piece of land we are about to close on (selling) to cut down a few hickory trees.  This is about a 1/4 mile from where he lives.  The first tree we cut had two trunks, was evidently lightning struck and had some heart rot.  We got it on the ground and hauled home.  The next one was larger, but I found some barbed wire in the butt log when making a felling cut.  This made it necessary for me to cut it much higher than I intended.  I got it on the ground but had way too much fiber pull.  A thunderstorm came up and we headed back home.  We will go back in the morning to get what we have on the ground and hopefully drop a few more.

Caveman

caveman

I probably should have been wearing chaps, but it was 95° and raining (100% humidity).  It was a situation of dying by heat exhaustion or a possible femoral artery cut.  We will head back in the morning.  I am impressed with the 572 xp.  I need to put a longer bar on it for these trees.
Caveman

barbender

I run into the same things with chaps in the heat. I hate them. Heat stroke is a real hazard as well, and they definitely get you closer to it!

wisconsitom

On a hot day, just putting the chaps on is enough to wilt me😅.  All them neat-o snaps...
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Old Greenhorn

The chaps are nice because you can get them off as soon as your done. The pants are nice because they are not as hot as the chaps on top of jeans. This past week I had a tree job with enough cutting that I wore the pants. Should have thrown shorts in the truck. ;D Felt good when I got home and got them off.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Skeans1

How early are you guys starting? If I know it's going to be warm I'll start cutting at first light which could be 4:30 5 in the morning and be done about noon being in the heat isn't worth it no matter what the gear is.

barbender

Skeans, my biggest struggle in life is getting up really early in the morning. I just ain't wired that way. My wife is completely opposite, she is up early and at 8 pm she is starting to get ready for bed. I'm just hitting high gear🤦‍♂️

wisconsitom

To avoid the heat, I start late, oh about December or so🙃.

That seems to work.

caveman

We had actually planned to get these cut last December but we were busy doing other stuff.  Now, that we will be selling this property soon, it's time to fish or cut bait.

We don't fire up any loud machines around the house until 8 a.m. We try to keep our neighbors content.  

We should have started on the hickories earlier in the day yesterday.  We loaded the kiln, stacked lumber and did various other chores in the morning, ate lunch and headed out there around noon.  Today, we met over there at 8 a.m. JMoore came close to getting too hot today.   We were done by noon today. 

This stuff was thick with small hickories, cherry laurels, camphors and plenty of vines all of which made extracting the logs a little more challenging.  The ground was too steep to get the tractor down to the logs safely.
Caveman

wisconsitom

Don't mean to be a smarty-pants up above....of course, as a retired guy, I can pick when I do stuff.  Not usually the case for the working man.

For me, back a hundred years ago or so ago, taking down another giant silver maple whose rootflare had grown right down over the curb, in the way of a new street recon, so many times when I just wanted no sun.  Sometimes, a lot of times depending on the gig, you're just stuck out in it.

Hardhat, saw pants, safety vest, blah blah😂

I had chaps on the other day just cause I was stick-mowing some rough stuff with shorts on.👌

Log-it-up

Quote from: wisconsitom on July 03, 2022, 01:01:28 PM
To avoid the heat, I start late, oh about December or so🙃.

That seems to work.
Definitely the way to go

teakwood

Quote from: barbender on July 03, 2022, 12:06:48 PM
Skeans, my biggest struggle in life is getting up really early in the morning. I just ain't wired that way. My wife is completely opposite, she is up early and at 8 pm she is starting to get ready for bed. I'm just hitting high gear🤦‍♂️
:D :D I love the early hours, every day I get up at first light, 5am and at 5.10 I'm checking emails and FF with the obligatory coffee. At 6 the quarry opens or I'm already planning lumber in the workshop. Sunday I really sleep in until I awake by myself , maybe at 5.30  ::) ::). My girlfriend; come back to bed! But I'm already in FF or out in the workshop thinking of the work I need to do Monday morning  ;D. I just can't help myself. I love what I do :)
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

BargeMonkey

I typically don't get to sleep till 1-3am, leave 8-9. Everything has lights on it for a reason.

I'm not the only FF member who is boat trash, another member was in NYC yesterday, "Fancy boat trash" compared to here 😆. The captain on here asked me to make the submarine run down to Norfolk and go home for another 4-5 days again, my relief has realized this isn't the career choice for him so I doubt he comes back again, I'm not staying another 2.5 months, go cut wood and see if my liver leaves my body.

barbender

Barge, you ought to see my collection of head lamps 😁

Thank You Sponsors!