iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Time Sawmill Build (Partial)

Started by SelcosSaw, November 25, 2022, 01:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SelcosSaw

Quote from: DDW_OR on January 08, 2023, 12:08:11 PMwhat is this gauge?

Its a hydralic tension device that sets the tension on the blade.  Looks pretty cool.  I see LJohnsaw correctly identified it.  
Selco

SelcosSaw

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 08, 2023, 12:16:55 PMI set mine by gut feel

Hahahah its so funny to have a gauge that you have to set by GUT feel!  I was hoping it was easy just set it and forget about it.  I'll experiment and thank you for letting me know about the blade heat and other factors that will change the tension. I'll have to play with it.
Selco

Ljohnsaw

No, I wish I had a gauge.  I don't so, gut feel.  I have a hydraulic pump with a gauge and a little hockey puck ram.  But the pump check valve does not hold pressure.  So, I pump it up to where I think it should be, hand tighten my stop bolt, and remove the pump/puck setup.  I don't have any way to measure the tension on the blade, just have a gut feeling it's right if it's cutting good!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

Crusarius

don't grease the plastic. grease and sawdust = sticky sloppy mess. The plastic is self lubricating which is the entire point of it.

ok, maybe not self lubricating but it is slippery enough lube is very much not needed.

SelcosSaw

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 08, 2023, 04:17:33 PMI don't have any way to measure the tension on the blade, just have a gut feeling it's right if it's cutting good!

Ok sorry I misunderstood LJohnsaw. I got the head up on the masts and did a raise and lower test with my chain lift.  I also (Nephew welded) got my sliders welded to the head mount too.  Im pretty impressed it slides easy and does not really bind if you have the tension right.  I put the blade on for testing (backwards at first hahahah) and ran the sheaves around. It came off over and over at 600 psi so I called Linn and Chris told me it needs to be set to 2700 and that should fix it, if not he will help me adjust it over the phone or explain how. Nice folks there. 

Here is a quick pic of progress.  I'll post below because I cant find a way to attach once I start a reply.

Crusarius I hear you on the grease now, the poly stuff slides really well with zero lube and not even really smooth masts.  I do worry about build up of sawdust so I may make some guards later to block entrances to cracks etc.

Selco

SelcosSaw

Selco

SelcosSaw

Here it is on the carriage with the guards on. I was worried they would not fit with the two front posts.  It looks like I have half an inch to spare there so I hope to keep those as it adds stability and strength to the carriage.  I've got to work out how the ACME rods work and look around at the forum for ideas.  Its exciting to see this thing go together. I know I'll have to take it apart to do final welds and painting but still, maybe I can cut ONE log without paint :) what do you think?
Selco

Crusarius

My first cuts were in my garage without guards and no paint. Let me tell you that makes a big mess. Even just cutting a piece of firewood I had.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: SelcosSaw on January 14, 2023, 10:49:54 AMHere is a quick pic of progress. I'll post below because I cant find a way to attach once I start a reply.
SOMETIMES, when doing a reply, I get an abbreviated selection of formatting (bold/italic etc) across the top of the reply window with just a Post and Preview buttons below.  Actually, like right now!  So, there is a little trick to get the full gambit of buttons and options.  Hit the Preview button.  It will preview what you have typed so far and keep the reply window open (your screen will jump/scroll so you might have to scroll to find it), but all the options will now be available, including adding pictures!
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: SelcosSaw on January 14, 2023, 11:46:19 AMI've got to work out how the ACME rods work and look around at the forum for ideas.
I did two interpretations of ACME rods on my mill.  Do yourself a big favor and DON'T buy the soft ones from Surplus Center.  They will wear out/strip if you are not extremely careful.  My second batch came from McMaster.  Get at least 3/4" and the long "nuts" (bronze rod that is inside threaded) that are about 1.5" long.  More threads, more strength, longer wear.  One inch rod would be even better if you are going to have a lot of weight.
John Sawicky

Crusarius

I bought the acme rods straight from Linn Lumber. so far I have been happy with the quality. They are 1" and come machined ready to use.

I noticed I only have 27.5 hours on the mill since I added the hour meter. but I still have no issues with raise and lower as long as I keep the threads clean. Once I get sawdust build up it jams the threads and nothing moves. I usually start my milling day with a wire brush on both threaded rods.

Ljohnsaw

I fab'ed up some three piece telescopic PVC pipe tubes that keep my threads covered below the head.  No buildup of sawdust!
John Sawicky

Crusarius

you know, I added a 7" extension on the bottom of my threaded rod to get the height I needed. I bet I could do the same thing. that would be great idea.

SelcosSaw

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 15, 2023, 01:03:14 AMbut all the options will now be available, including adding pictures!
Awesome Hint there thanks for that little trick.
Selco

SelcosSaw

Quote from: Crusarius on January 15, 2023, 09:58:27 AMI noticed I only have 27.5 hours on the mill since I added the hour meter. but I still have no issues with raise and lower as long as I keep the threads clean. Once I get sawdust build up it jams the threads and nothing moves. I usually start my milling day with a wire brush on both threaded rods.

Oh no, I bought mine from Linn as well they seem really nice.  But no load test yet.  I also thought it was a good idea to put some grease on them again but I guess I will need to clean that off it if it attracts the sawdust buildup you were talking about. :)  I dont know why I love to grease stuff so much.

Selco

SelcosSaw

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 15, 2023, 01:06:55 AMOne inch rod would be even better if you are going to have a lot of weight.

I had trouble finding good ones so I had Linn Lumber add a set (costly) to the shipment, I am glad I did they look great and well milled.

We had huge success with them today when my brother and some nephews came over and helped me get a big push forward. I now have to fix the top but am finding the whole idea of standing on a ladder to move the mill up and down a bit annoying.  I guess in the end I will have a motor but if this thing is on a trailer it will be 6 foot tall or more to reach the handle hahahaha.

Pics below. I need to find a gear that switches to 90 degrees so I can put it on the side of the carriage instead.

Anyone have a good idea of a cheap 90 degree gear thingy?
Selco

SelcosSaw

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 15, 2023, 10:29:02 AMI fab'ed up some three piece telescopic PVC pipe tubes that keep my threads covered below the head.  No buildup of sawdust!

Awesome! I love this idea, I'd love to see a pic if you have one and are ok with me copying you?  Otherwise I guess I need to know if you all put grease on them or not?  I could just add a metal brush that is stationary and cleans them as it goes up and down?

Hmm too many ideas.
Selco

SelcosSaw

Quote from: Crusarius on January 15, 2023, 04:15:15 PMyou know, I added a 7" extension on the bottom of my threaded rod to get the height I needed.

Do you mean you welded another piece of ACME thread to the bottom?  Or did you mean something else, sorry I was not clear on this.
Selco

Crusarius

I bored out the end of a piece of 1" solid bar stock (round) then inserted the machined threaded rod into that. I also machined the other end of the bar stock to go into the bearing at the bottom. After all was said and done the only difference from the threaded rod to the bearing is the threads stop.

It is to cold and dark to go get you a picture.

Crusarius

for lubing the threaded rod I used fluid film. Seems to work pretty good and the dust only sticks slightly.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: SelcosSaw on January 15, 2023, 09:14:36 PM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 15, 2023, 10:29:02 AMI fab'ed up some three piece telescopic PVC pipe tubes that keep my threads covered below the head.  No buildup of sawdust!

Awesome! I love this idea, I'd love to see a pic if you have one and are ok with me copying you?  Otherwise I guess I need to know if you all put grease on them or not?  I could just add a metal brush that is stationary and cleans them as it goes up and down?

Hmm too many ideas.
I like the stationary brush idea!  I'll get some pics of the bottom side when the rain stops.  For the top, I put on a 1/2" section of grey pvc (CPVC) conduit that is just short enough to clear the top of the head when full up.  That way no floating sawdust can find its way on to the rod above the cut. 

The length below is pretty small when the head is all the way down - something like 18".  So, I took lengths of 1/2", 1" and 1.5" pipe.  Use CPVC (gray conduit), it is UV safe(r) than PVC.  I made 1/4" thick rings of CPVC in pairs.  The idea is to glue one to the top of the smaller pipe that will slip inside the larger pipe.  Then glue a ring in the bigger pipe that lets the smaller slip through.  That makes a 18" cover that grows to a little over 4 foot.
John Sawicky

Crusarius

I do not want to tear my mill apart again. But if I do I will have to do the same thing. that will probably make my life a little easier.

SelcosSaw

I'm going to try to do the same thing. I can see where without sawdust guards those ACME rods could become full of dust and start to hang up. Plus it might also shield them from weather and stuff that could cause rust. I was planning on putting some anti rust light weight oil on them or even MIL-C-11796C.  Haha I made you look it up. :) "Cosmoline".
Selco

Crusarius

Fluidfilm works well for anti rust and lube.

Thank You Sponsors!