iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing project 2023

Started by customsawyer, January 03, 2023, 04:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Lee we look forward to meeting you. When you say your "guys" are you referring to your family or employs?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

K-Guy

Jake
Sadly this year I will not be able to make it, I'm just too tied up here to get away. I hope everyone has a good time and learns something.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Leemcclure55

Quote from: customsawyer on February 16, 2023, 06:06:51 AM
Lee we look forward to meeting you. When you say your "guys" are you referring to your family or employs?
My employees.

customsawyer

This isn't designed to teach an entire crew. It is more of a teach the teacher type of thing. We teach and share with you and then you take that knowledge and teach your guys. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doc henderson

Well K-guy, glad you are tied up.  say hi to your wife, and be nice so she will eventually untie you!  :D :D :D  always is nice to see you when you can make it.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

will49766

I have been wanting to attend for a few years now.  My mill has just over 30 hours on it, so maybe I can learn something to get things going.

I will be bringing my wife.  This should make #50/51.  We will be driving from Freeport, Michigan.  Looking forward to meeting everyone!

We need to get away for once... this should be fun!

Will and Julie Houghmaster

Will Houghmaster

customsawyer

Looking forward to meeting you and yours. 
www.thecustomsawyer.com

OlJarhead

After speaking with Lynn I'm committed to making the 3500 mile journey NEXT year!  Wish I could this year but it just won't work!

Enjoy and I looking forward to NEXT year!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

GAB

Quote from: customsawyer on February 20, 2023, 04:38:54 AM
This isn't designed to teach an entire crew. It is more of a teach the teacher type of thing. We teach and share with you and then you take that knowledge and teach your guys.
Sometimes I feel that employees are like little children.  When they hear it from a stranger it carries more weight than if it comes from parents or people that they are constantly around.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Jeff

Don't ever count on a next year for these type of things. If I would of waited until next year, last year I would not of had my last precious visits with Danny. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Quote from: GAB on February 28, 2023, 09:06:26 AM

Sometimes I feel that employees are like little children.  When they hear it from a stranger it carries more weight than if it comes from parents or people that they are constantly around.
GAB
I want to comment on this, but wont. We are all lucky Jake gives any of us an opportunity to come and learn from each other and I appreciate it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OlJarhead

True!  But sadly 3500 miles is just a tad far for me this year.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Jeff on February 28, 2023, 09:57:44 AM
Don't ever count on a next year for these type of things. If I would of waited until next year, last year I would not of had my last precious visits with Danny.
I got to try and figure something out how to make this work.
You never know when this could end.
I got a kick in the butt coming   :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

Hey Bruno.  I had been thinking about you the past two days and was about to PM magic to be sure you were doing ok.  Would love to meet you someday.  Glad to hear from you.  I saw the raised beds that you have had good success with and it reminded me of you.  Cheers!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDFL

Looking forward to this event and meeting you all.   Just let me know how I can help - I'm happy to bring my smoker and some boston butts and make pulled pork sandwiches, and happy to help run the grill if you all just want burgers and dogs.  Or I'll contribute cash to whatever the plan is...

LT15(S) w/GO Option
Kubota L2501 HST w/Grapple
Collector of antique 2-cylinder John Deere tractors

Bruno of NH

Doc
I'm doing well
Trying to keep my head up and pushing myself to keep moving. 
I have my day but try to keep smiling 
Believe it or not it helps  :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

scsmith42

Bruno, there are a whole lot of folks that I'm looking forward to meeting, and you sure on that list!  I hope that things work out for you to attend.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

Magicman and PatD will add our names to the list.

Lynn & Pat makes 52 & 53.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Wear your leather welder's apron so we will all know who you are. :D

I will probably be the one in the body cast.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 01, 2023, 08:20:33 AM
  Wear your leather welder's apron so we will all know who you are. :D

I will probably be the one in the body cast.
Howard, he won't need that apron. You will recognize him easy, trust me. In fact when I first met him and Pat, they wandered into our campsite the evening before the pig roast and I knew who he was before he even got close.

As for your body cast, make sure they don't forget to put the drain holes in. ;D :D

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

OlJarhead

Dang it!  I guess I'd missed the part about this likely being the last of these :(  I've wanted to try to make one for a LONG time now but being way out west with Crossroads and others it's, well, a long way.  I just figured, like many I suppose, that I'd make it 'one day'.

Now I'm sorry I didn't try to make plans when Jake first posted this.

doc henderson

I have been following and do not see a post saying it is the last.  I think the sentiment was you never know who will make it to the next.  Danny (WDH) is a case in point.  Please someone correct me if I missed something.  

from Jeff, "Don't ever count on a next year for these type of things. If I would of waited until next year, last year I would not of had my last precious visits with Danny."

Magicman

Correct doc.  Jeff said that we can never count on "next year". 

We never know.  Waiting until next year might be a year too late.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

I may not be there in person, but some of my homemade bacon left Idaho today headed that way. Now we just need to see if any of it makes it past Ohio.....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

customsawyer

If any are looking into flying in, you might want to check ticket prices to Savannah. Sometimes it is cheaper than Atlanta. My place is pretty much 2 hours from both. Every year when I'm putting in all of the work to get things ready for the project, I tell myself this will be the last one. Then during and after the project I have so much fun and learn so much, I start looking forward to next year. I have often thought of passing the torch and letting someone else host the project, so we could see how someone else does it. One of the big advantages I have is having everything from planers, kiln, sharpening equipment, close by hotels and an interstate that isn't far from my place. This lets folks see just about any part of the process they might be interested in learning about. Not trying to say my place is better than anyone else's. I know for a fact that I'm looking forward to seeing my friends and spending time with them. One of the things we are falling short of this year is our band for the porch on Friday evening. Open to suggestions on that one. I do have a radio.  ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!