iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks hd3238

Started by Patrick NC, January 13, 2023, 09:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

Anybody here run one of these mills? I've ordered a new lt40 but may have an opportunity to buy a used low hour hd3238. I've watched a couple of videos on it, but that's about all. I like the idea of everything being hydraulic with no electric motors. Looking for some real world feedback.  Thanks 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

ladylake

Hydraulics are real trouble free.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kelLOGg

I've had the mp32 which is the manual non-hydraulic version for 20 years and it is well made and as good as day one. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

farmfromkansas

Also have a mp 32, manual model, and would like to have hydraulics.  When I look at the Cooks catalog, if ordering new would prefer their bigger mill, has huge bandwheels, and all the other improvements including a chain turner.  I really like the crowned bandwheels, easy to adjust blade tracking.  Cooks build a great bandmill, don't understand why they are not more popular on this forum.  Just looked a woodmizer's site, and compared prices to Cooks, now I can understand why there are a lot of Woodmizers, as the AC-36 mill starts at 53,205. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Patrick NC

The hd3238 has the same chain turner as the bigger AC36
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

farmfromkansas

Only downside I can see to a 3238 mill is that you are limited to a 32" log.  When I get a big log, sometimes have to take a chainsaw and trim a bit off the big end to get it between the posts.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Patrick NC

Valid point,  but around here when a customer says they have a "big log" it's usually 24". 🤣

Magicman

The width limitation would be a killer for me because when a customer here says big, it's usually 42".  

Yes, I have sawn many logs in that class.  The cantilever head rocks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

I've never seen one in person, but if they are built like their sharpener they will be extremely heavy duty.
Too many irons in the fire

Gere Flewelling

It's the old sawmill version of the "Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge" thing. I Have a Cook's mill and am very happy with it.  Good quality, reliable and accurate to run, good customer service. I prefer those steel wheels with no belts to worry about. I don't believe you could go wrong with this mill.  Likely to be good resale value id it is not to your liking.  Good luck with your decision.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Patrick NC

I noticed in the videos I watched that the log rests are on the right and clamps on the left. Exactly the opposite from most mills. Does anyone know the purpose for that?

kelLOGg

Quote from: farmfromkansas on January 13, 2023, 10:42:59 AM
  Cooks build a great bandmill, don't understand why they are not more popular on this forum.  Just looked a woodmizer's site, and compared prices to Cooks, now I can understand why there are a lot of Woodmizers, as the AC-36 mill starts at 53,205.
Ditto!
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

ladylake

Quote from: Patrick NC on January 13, 2023, 11:45:37 AM
I noticed in the videos I watched that the log rests are on the right and clamps on the left. Exactly the opposite from most mills. Does anyone know the purpose for that?
Your cutting into clean wood sooner.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

KWH

Patrick, I am a hydraulic fan, my Baker 3667D is fully hydraulic. Except for two electric switches that run debarker and guide piston and where I had a problem. After a year of following posts on this forum hearing about rebuilding motors, switches and other issues I said I am glad I have hydraulics. It is a lot easier to find the short (leak). There are no belts to replace on the solid steel wheels. The Baker clamps to the right side of the mill which close to the stationary blade guide. The 32 inc. might be an issue, that is where the Woodmizers shine.

Patrick NC

I'm sure that 32" will have its limitations,  but the price seems right on this used mill. Basically new with only 150 hours. Supposed to look at it tomorrow.  If it doesn't pan out I might look a the ac36.

ladylake

I'd like to see a vid of WM lt40 sawing a 42" log without chain sawing.  Steve

Gere Flewelling

I believe Tim Cook explained in one of his You Tube videos that cooks hydraulic mills clamp the logs and cants against the right side of the mill so the band is entering the cut on the side of the mill that has the stationary guide roll.  He claims this provides greater stability for teeth entering the cut as opposed to most mills that have the band entering the cut on the adjustable guide roll side.  Since the hydraulic mills do not require manually clamping of the log, they can change it to what they feel is best direction to enter the cut.  Their manual mill does not clamp on the right as it would require the operator to be circling the mill to constantly adjust clamps. These manual mills have the band entering the cut on the adjustable guide side also to allow the operator to make all adjustments on the right side of the mill opposite the sawdust discharge side.  
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Bruno of NH

I won't comment
Still waiting on a h bridge 
They sent 3 all the same one that's not right
Been down since the Thursday before Christmas 
Hydraulics are starting to look good to me at this point.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

KenMac

I have a Cook's AC36 and love it. It's on the same frame and rails s the 3238. I've had no trouble other than a starter and an alternator- both are cheap Delco parts and will not be on your gas mill. The mill is a tank and very durable and simple to maintain and repair. The big advantage is the WM two plane clamp in my opinion. 
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

ladylake

Hydraulic are reliable, electric components are not.  Cooks has more off the shelf parts.  Steve

Magicman

Quote from: ladylake on January 13, 2023, 03:27:27 PMI'd like to see a vid of WM lt40 sawing a 42" log without chain sawing.
I don't have any videos of me sawing anything, but sawing a 42" log is no big deal.  Yes, you need a relatively smooth log so chainsaw any knots but there is no need to reduce the butt size.

Load the log with the butt toward the sawmill front and roll it over until it barely clears the mast.  Of course the first pass takes everything above 36" off.  Now turn the log until the right edge of the previous cut is up and make the next cut.  By the time you make a complete revolution the log is probably "gun barreled" down to less than 36".  

I encounter several 40"+ logs each year and they are almost always Water (Red) Oak.  It can easily take 2-3 hours to saw them but the yield will be 800-900 bf.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

Quote from: KWH on January 13, 2023, 01:07:55 PM
Patrick, I am a hydraulic fan, my Baker 3667D is fully hydraulic. Except for two electric switches that run debarker and guide piston and where I had a problem. After a year of following posts on this forum hearing about rebuilding motors, switches and other issues I said I am glad I have hydraulics. It is a lot easier to find the short (leak). There are no belts to replace on the solid steel wheels. The Baker clamps to the right side of the mill which close to the stationary blade guide. The 32 inc. might be an issue, that is where the Woodmizers shine.
Do you have the bullet guides or rollers. If you have the bullet give your opinion 👍

tacks Y

I know you did not ask me but...... I have the bullet guides and I like em. I do not saw full time, I use diesel with a felt wiper top and bottom that the diesel drips into.

KWH

Walnut Beast, it has the bullet set up. It originally had 5/16 bullets, 4 on the top 4 on the bottom on each of the guides and they seemed to wear out fairly quick. The small machine bolts were a pain. The manual showed 3/8 bullets on 2 top and 2 on bottom and used a 7/16 wrench instead of an Allen wrench so I upgraded to them. The last a lot longer, I check them every blade switch and adjust them around ever 5 or 6 blades. I thought about switching to rollers, but witch kind and size plus the upgrade from Baker was quick and easier. So, I guess they're all right I have nothing to compare them to.

Walnut Beast

When I had talked to them at Bakers they had said if you wanted rollers they would do it. They say several people do request rollers on a new one but they seem to like the bullet. 

Thank You Sponsors!