iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

local blade sharpening

Started by bigD, January 22, 2023, 07:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigD

I live in southeast Missouri and I'm looking for a local blade sharpening service? Anyone know of any around?

thecfarm

Ask at your local hardware store.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Walnut Beast

Call Timberking. When they offered sharpening service it's from the same guy that's out of Kansas City is who they direct you to now that has a full service sharpening shop that can do it

firefighter ontheside

I'm just outside of DeSoto.  There is a guy in Festus that I have used once.  Before that I sent blades to Woodmizer Resharp.  I bought a woodmizer sharpener to sharpen my blades and started doing that a couple weeks ago.  I may upgrade to a better Woodmizer sharpener.  What blades do you use and how many do you go thru.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

bigD

I use KASCO woodmax blades, I buy them direct and can pick them up in St. louis.  I have 20 to 30.

firefighter ontheside

I have some Kasco Woodmax 7/34 bands that I picked up at Baker Products in Ellington MO.  I was told I could not buy them directly from Kasco in Stl.  I am able to sharpen these since they are the same profile as the Woodmizer 7/34.  It looks like you're not actually in Farmington.  At some point I may be able to sharpen blades for you.  I don't have a setter yet so I wouldn't offer that yet.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

esteadle

I'm not familiar with your area, but in S/E MO you might not be that far (2 hours?) from Piper's saw shop in Ky.
They sold me Simonds blades that were decent and might be worth a call to see if you can get them to sharpen your blades.
I see their ads in magazines, but they are kinda quiet on the internet.
I think this is them. Update Your Browser | Facebook

If you've already talke dto / asked all the local wood shops and machinery sales places, maybe check around and see if you can find a meat packing plant.
They use bandsaws for cutting carcasses apart and they go thru sawmill blades like we do. Ask them where they get blades from and where the go to get them sharpened. But just keep asking.

Sharpening is not quite a lost art yet... but maybe it is a losing art.
The guys who still do it are usually good at it, especially if they have grey in their hairline.

Best of luck.

firefighter ontheside

I should have mentioned that the place in Festus is called Twin City Sharpening.  They've been sharpening my carbide circ saw blades and planer knives for years, but I think they just got into bandsaws in the last few years.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

bigD

firefighter ontheside, thank you. Let me look and see if i still have the ladies name. Ive bought two boxes each time.  they ise to offer 4, 7, and 10 degree blades but now I think only 7.  I sold my home and moved to my place on the River by Marquand about a year and a half ago.  Less people.

bigD

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on January 23, 2023, 10:45:57 PM
I should have mentioned that the place in Festus is called Twin City Sharpening.  They've been sharpening my carbide circ saw blades and planer knives for years, but I think they just got into bandsaws in the last few years.
Thank you Ill check them out.

bigD

Quote from: esteadle on January 23, 2023, 07:29:59 PM
I'm not familiar with your area, but in S/E MO you might not be that far (2 hours?) from Piper's saw shop in Ky.
They sold me Simonds blades that were decent and might be worth a call to see if you can get them to sharpen your blades.
I see their ads in magazines, but they are kinda quiet on the internet.
I think this is them. Update Your Browser | Facebook

If you've already talke dto / asked all the local wood shops and machinery sales places, maybe check around and see if you can find a meat packing plant.
They use bandsaws for cutting carcasses apart and they go thru sawmill blades like we do. Ask them where they get blades from and where the go to get them sharpened. But just keep asking.

Sharpening is not quite a lost art yet... but maybe it is a losing art.
The guys who still do it are usually good at it, especially if they have grey in their hairline.

Best of luck.
Thank you Ill give em a call,  I guess I just need to break down and buy me a sharpener and setter, then maybe I cn become one of those guys; I already have the "Platinum Blonde" hair.

bigD

WDFL

Quote from: bigD on January 24, 2023, 09:32:08 AM
firefighter ontheside, thank you. Let me look and see if i still have the ladies name. Ive bought two boxes each time.  they ise to offer 4, 7, and 10 degree blades but now I think only 7.  I sold my home and moved to my place on the River by Marquand about a year and a half ago.  Less people.
Are you on the Castor?
LT15(S) w/GO Option
Kubota L2501 HST w/Grapple
Collector of antique 2-cylinder John Deere tractors

bigD

Yes, I live right on the river

Thank You Sponsors!