iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log wizard chainsaw debarker

Started by Patrick NC, January 24, 2023, 06:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

I've got a friend that has one that he used before he added a debarker to his commercial lt300. Said I could have it for $100 if I want it. I know it's not as good as having one on the mill, but norwoods debarker is 30x more expensive. Anyone have a log wizard? Is it worth it?
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

boscojmb

I have one and it does work. It is very rough on the operator. If you use it for more than about 15 minutes at a time it gets old real quick. Mine has been collecting dust for at least a decade.

I hope this helps,
John B
John B.

Log-Master LM4

sawguy21

I tried one mounted on a Husky 266 on a spruce log, it worked but was labor intensive. It would be fine for small jobs, don't know about your hardwoods.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

How would you be using it?  To remove bark before you mill logs?  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Patrick NC

Yes I just want to use it to clean a strip for the blade so I'm cutting into clean wood 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

MattM

I have a China belt drive type for in the winter when I can't pressure wash. I usually remove a strip about 8-10in wide. Its pretty quick, I don't remove bark length wise as EWP will clog up the debarker. I go across the log and it might take me 1-2 minutes to do a 16ft log. I have it mounted on a MS170 so it isn't very labour intensive to use and I set the blades out about a quarter inch to remove bark quickly.

If your only milling for a hobby it's a good way to go and it sure beats peeling logs by hand or changing blades every log.

That being said, I sure can't wait for my new Mill w/debarker  8)
LT35HDG25

Nealm66

I use one for my mill and it works great. Probably 1-2 minutes for a 16' log on both sides. I have mine on a 362 and was told to keep the throttle down as there's not enough resistance 

Gere Flewelling

I purchased one and put in on a 14" Poulan saw. It worked pretty well until the saw died. Tried moving it to a corded Craftsman electric saw. It wouldn't work on that saw as the saw ran too fast and I couldn't keep the chain tight.  It has been in the bottom tool drawer for 5 years now. I put a long handle in a flat shingle remover, sharpened it like a chisel. It works great for peeling a dirty strip of bark and works much faster. Plus you don't have to pull on a rope starter to make it work.  As for the Log Wizard, everyone should have one so they can advise others about them. Maybe we could set up a loaner program and just pass a few of them around for educational purposes. say_what
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Magicman

It would be difficult to beat these and a leaf blower.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Now a 4' handle to attach one of those brushes to would be the cat's meow👍
Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

If only it was a circle mill, you could hang a mud saw. I could not work without mine.

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, I just use a wire brush.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nealm66

I mostly cut Doug fir with thick bark and I've tried a wire brush. It helps but the log wizard zips it off super quick. I'm going to pick up a grizzly planer blade sharpener as soon as I finish the sharpening shed

boscojmb

Quote from: Patrick NC on January 24, 2023, 07:33:18 PM
Yes I just want to use it to clean a strip for the blade so I'm cutting into clean wood
If you can stand on the ground over the log and debark a strip on the top face of the log, letting gravity work in your favor this is do able. You will then have to load the log on the mill and rotate until the debarked strip lines up with the saw blade.
I would never lean over the mill and try to use it at the 10:00 or 2:00 position. This thing can kick like a mule. It gives less operator fatigue when mounted to a small saw, with a short bar, but the potential for kickback increases with a short bar and less total mass. 
I hope this helps.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

jpassardi

Brushes like MM has and a sharpened ice scraper is my approach.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanL

I find this brush, which can be attached to any length handle, works for many situations to clean/remove the bark. We use it for cleaning bricks.

Dan
From God's Farm in Alabama
"God bless America" and "Alba gu brath"

barbender

I've never tested my theory, but I would think a chainsaw with a junk chain (or a new chain that would quickly become a junk one) would work as well as a Log Wizard for clearing a cut line in front of the blade. Once the cutters were dull it would work more like an abrasive tool😁
Too many irons in the fire

Crusarius

wonder why I have never seen anyone try to mount the log wizard on their mill???

Magicman

Patrick NC

Quote from: barbender on February 07, 2023, 09:50:34 AM
I've never tested my theory, but I would think a chainsaw with a junk chain (or a new chain that would quickly become a junk one) would work as well as a Log Wizard for clearing a cut line in front of the blade. Once the cutters were dull it would work more like an abrasive tool😁
I keep a ms170 at the front of the mill just for that. It works OK but is slow. I bought the log wizard and tried it this past weekend on some SYP and  chestnut oak. With properly set sharp blades it gets it done 3x faster than a chainsaw alone.  I'm sure once the blades get dull it won't work as good,  but it's the best thing I've found so far. Anyone who can debark a strip down a piece of chestnut oak with a wire brush and scraper faster than this thing is a much better man than I am.

jpassardi

Barbender: I considered similar but using my 20V/60V cordless circular saw. The new ones have enough power. This would give the benefit of a cheap carbide blade at the flick of a switch.
Pretty darn sure I could make it work well mounted to the carriage with a spring tensioned arm with reasonably close geometry & pressure. I can't justify the time investment / benefit at this point though. Maybe fab it up when I retire... ::)
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

bigblockyeti

I was thinking of much the same but a pair of super cheap 7 1/4" blades on the arbor would give a little larger target.  A more powerful 12V saw would be even better as most mills already have 12V available.  Looking at how WM has their debarker set up, I've seen some that appear to shoot the dust (& dirt & rocks) into the band while others it appears the blade spins to spray the swarf away from the band which makes far more sense.

Thank You Sponsors!