iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gearmatic 9 Winch How to remove brake band?

Started by woodfirst, April 06, 2024, 03:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodfirst

Can anyone give me guidance on how to remove the primary and secondary brake bands in a Gearmatic 9?

The primary seems pinched on the bottom and will not slide out.  I have the side cover off and the clutch bands removed.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

melezefarmer

I just recently rebuilt a long abused and neglected Gearmatic 8a and had the same issue. Since I was relining the brake bands and clutches, I used a few small pry bars and flat head screw drivers, a whole lot of wiggling, and a few choice words. 

Do you have the service manual for the #9? There is a copy floating on the internet or you can contact Paccar directly. I sent them an email and they were nice enough to send me a copy for the #8.

Good luck

woodfirst

Thanks Meleze, Got the primary out in the manner you described, now working on the secondary.

I do have the 9 manual.  Can you tell me where you sourced the clutch and brake bands?

thanks, Gary

melezefarmer

I had the bands relined by a local clutch company. The brake bands were very expensive as the lining goes on the inside which apparently is a PITA to do.

There is an unrelated forum on old John Deere dozers where the forum admin sells/sold rebuilt brake bands and clutches for the 8a and 9 Gearmatics.

After removing the brake slave cylinder rod and dowel pins, the secondary brake band should just come out. Mine were seized to the winch drum. Looking at the parts diagram for the #9, I see that the secondary brake band is different than mine however.

Cheers

Thank You Sponsors!