iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

? on older Ebac LD 3000

Started by Wes Lyon, February 17, 2011, 02:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wes Lyon

Hello everyone ...

I picked up a older LD 3000 that I m trying to resurrect.  Has anyone had to replace the heating element on their LD 3000? I cannot make the element work in mine.

I have 120 volts from connection to ground at both ends of the element.  The over heat switch has open continuity across both tabs.  And I have 120 volts one lead to ground at the over heat switch.

Was wondering what the resistance (and tolerance) is supposed to be on this element, i get something like 43 or 44 ohms.  And i think it should be something like 32.  Many thanks.........

Wes

Wes Lyon

Well I figured it out.  So all is well........

Intermittent contactor failure.

Ironwood

I was going to say, the ONLY thing I EVER had go wrong with mine is the contacter for the heater, gone out 2-3 times. This is TOTALLY contrary to what most Ebac owners experience, they evidentally had some not so good units, but mine has been nearly trouble free since 1996. Go figure?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

logboy

I was just out in the barn messing around with my LD3000 for the first time since I bought it used 3 years ago.  I was just thinking that the heating element needs to get way hotter than this if its ever going to work.  With the temp sensor right in front of the element I only hit 30C.  What did you guys say goes bad? The element itself or something else? A bad connection?
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Den Socling

They said they had contactor problems. A contactor is an electromagnetic switch. When you hit your heat switch, the contactor pulls in and sends power to the heating element.

Ironwood

It is a little clear topped relay thingy, has an external wire soldered to it, which makes it easier to ID. I cannot remember if mine is in controller or unit. That ALWAYS has been my "lack of heat issue"

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

logboy

There are two relay looking things to the right of the heating element next to the distribution block. Each one has a slider switch on the face.  Is that what you are referring to?

Ironwood

Do you still have the manual? Seems the diagram showed the schematic real well. ... I can look if needed.

Ironwood

logboy

Just found them. Did you just replace both of them?  I get heat, just not enough. It feels more like a warm breeze. Is it possible the element is bad?

Ironwood

If the element comes on at all, it is likely not the relay (kind of all or nothing). It also depends upon construction of your chamber. Was that by the book??? If it is winter and my super tight chamber cant get my heat up, I pop one or two 500 watt worklights into the chamber. Sometimes to even ramp it up quicker if the load is already partially dry.

Ironwood

oakiemac

logboy, get a meter and check the voltage at the element. If you have 220v then the contactor is working. You can also physically see it pull in or you can push the middle part of it to manually make it. If you are not getting heat then it is most likely the contactor or the heating element.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

logboy

Like I said, its not putting out very much heat. With the cover off and the heater running I put the temp sensor within a a quarter inch of the element. It hit 31C.  There is no way it will ever get the kiln up to 50C.  Its not mounted on anything yet, I just had it plugged in to test it. I bought it used a couple years ago and I'm just now getting around to using it. Other than the heat, everything else seems to work properly (no leaks yet).

Ironwood, what did you end up using for a vent control setup on yours?  I still need to come up with something.

Ironwood

VENT??? never needed one. If it gets really hot where you live, you may need one. Temp senor and a fan with flaps pointing out? I framed in two openings one in (passive),  one out (active) have never needed to power them.

Ironwood

logboy

OK, I read on another thread where someone was looking into overheat controls (Penn and Johnson) for their kiln.  I misread and thought it was you.

Thank You Sponsors!