iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT28 Power Feed Issue

Started by WranglerSS, September 07, 2017, 07:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WranglerSS

Started yesterday on a pine log. As I turn the dial to speed up the feed it hits a dead spot then surges. Any idea what to check? It seems like the potentiometer has gone bad.
Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

WV Sawmiller

Check the belt tension. I just changed one last week that caused similar actions. Little 24" cogged belt. May just need to push the feed motor forward to tighten. There are 2 bolts in the cover and 3 in the motor if like mine. 7/16" wrench fits all. WM is very reasonable if you get replacement belt from them but other suppliers keep them too. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pineywoods

That speed control potientiometer (commonly called a pot) is a normal wear item..
replacement from woodmizer comes with wires and plug already attached. Quick and easy fix...Just pull off the front panel..Pull the neg cable off the battery first...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: WranglerSS on September 07, 2017, 07:52:54 AM
Started yesterday on a pine log. As I turn the dial to speed up the feed it hits a dead spot then surges. Any idea what to check? It seems like the potentiometer has gone bad.

How repeatable is this dead spot?  Does it ever stop or hesitate if you do not rotate it after forward motion is established?  Have you checked to see if the drive motor is actually stopping or not? 

Pots are easy to test with the right equipment, and sometimes they repeat open dead-spots with enough regularity to diagnosis.  Loose connections can behave in the same manner you describe.  Poor contact in the drum switch can do the same thing.  Check to see if there are any chips or debris getting into the mechanicals.   

Whitetail_Addict

I've had to take the motor apart to clean and lubricate things a couple of times. Condensation forms inside the housing and a thin film of rust causes parts to stick. I've also experienced rough and/or slow feed because of the battery. Make sure you charge it often. I've actually kept a solar charger on it the past couple of years that seems to help. Inside the power feed panel there should be a plastic cup with dielectric grease to maintain the electrical contacts.
2010 WoodMizer LT28, John Deere 4520 w/ FEL, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel, 2007 Polaris Ranger XP 700, 127 Acres of Northeast hardwoods in New York's Whitetail country

WranglerSS

Ran the mill again yesterday and no issues with the power drive. I must have been pushing it to hard the other day.
Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28

sparks

When your pushing it does it hesitate and then want too take off full speed? If it is, call me. I have a fix for it.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

WranglerSS

Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28

Thank You Sponsors!