iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Pine and Red Rot

Started by jwilly3879, August 07, 2012, 09:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilly3879

What, if anything, can be done to control the fungus responsible for red rot in EWP?

thecfarm

Do you mean in the middle of the tree? I have some in my old trees,probably 100 years old. I saw very little in my younger trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jwilly3879

In the middle of the tree, logs were 8" to 12" dia, probably 40 to 50 years old. Some larger logs also showed signs, some were nice and white. Seems the trees from one area had more than those 200 yards away.

thecfarm

I'm no expect about white pine,but the ones on my land were about 70 years old and most were at least 3 feet across and bigger. There were a few that were slow to grow because it was too thick for them. Had a real pretty one that looked just like a telphone pole. I did not set my cut up correctly and knocked it down. It was only about 12" across. I had a real had time counting 70 rings,that tree grew real slow. Others around it was at least 3 feet. By the way is the area wet where the white pine is growing?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jwilly3879

The area where they are growing is fairly dry, the trees are fairly close together and the soil must be poor because they haven't grown very fast.

Maine372

was the red rot centered in the tree or was it more randomly located?

ive found red rot often not centered in the tree and caused by root damage from previous harvests, even the bole of the tree was undamaged. after talking with an older forester he said he often found it on lots where the harvests had been done my crawler tractors, obviously when there was no snow.

SwampDonkey

Damage to those wide spreading laterals can do a lot of unseen damage to a tree inside. Sometimes you'll see a lot of tramping close to big trees on machinery as if they (trees) were indestructible. However, most often they will be those low grade pine and hemlock people tend to leave behind for the future forest. If you look at most of them left in my area, you'll realize what has been going on for decades. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!