iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

needing some new 50cc saws.

Started by STIHLFULLSKIP, February 17, 2010, 11:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strongsaw

Sorry, Rocky_J, didn't intend to create a problem. I wasn't aware all the saws mentioned are "top of the line pro saws". Is a Echo CS530 in this category. If it is then you have raised my opinion of my own saw. IMHO I would as soon run my Efco 152 as my Echo 520. But don't get excited, in the future I'll keep my comments to myself and just read your sage advice. Bye now.

ladylake

I can tell you that my 5720 Cub Cadet has just as much metal in it as any pro Stihl or Husky.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

STIHLFULLSKIP

i dont know,a lot of guys dont consider echos' to be top of the line pro models. i would say my cs600,so far,would seem to be as good as any saw on the market. i dont know on the 530,but between warranty and price,they look pretty good to me.

strongsaw

Hey Rocky_J,  I see you deleted your reply to me. Didn't you want everyone to know you think Efco saws are plastic junk and parts aren't available,and Echo CS 530 and Dolmar 510  saws are "top of the line pro saws". I like Echo, Dolmar, and Efco in the 50+cc sizes. Stupid me, I think they all make good saws.

STIHLFULLSKIP

everyone makes a few good models these days, but the saw is only as good as the dealer who sold it to you.

567paloggger

lady lake what does having metal on the saw have to do with a pro grade saw lasting and cutting you must not cut alot of wood with a cub cadel lol you never hear of anyone using that junk just like the new homelites probely is the same saw

bill m

I have had 3 of the o26/ ms260 saws. Not very happy with them. Now I have 2 Jonsered 2152. Great saws.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

strongsaw

Cub Cadets were made by Efco-Emak. Do your research. Just because you aren't familiar with the brand doesn't mean they are junk. The retailers, like Baileys on line sure are proud of Efco saws. I think a 56cc Efco sells for $500+. It is not a Homelite.

STIHLFULLSKIP

calm down boys,i want positive input here,and lots of it. i am going saw shopping sat. a.m.

nmurph

i don't have any allegiance to a particular saw brand, but when i buy a saw this fall it will be a husky 346. the only was that is close would be a 5100, and it is heavier, not as snappy, and doesn't handle as well. it does have a slight edge in power. everything else in this category is an also-ran.

JohnG28

Stihlfullskip, I cant tell you from personal experience, but on many a thread that Ive read here the 346xp is touted as a very good saw, like others have said, one of Husky's best, and I would doubt with the cross section of people and pros here that that would be the concencus if this were not true...I myself recently purchased a stihl 361, and my decision was made up by the input of all that replied to me here, and though I have barely even had a chance to run it yet, I know that I didnt make a bad purchase...I would be willing to bet that from what Ive read and what others say, that you would be more than happy with a few new 346xp...good luck to you 8)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

ladylake

Quote from: 567paloggger on February 18, 2010, 09:15:31 PM
lady lake what does having metal on the saw have to do with a pro grade saw lasting and cutting you must not cut alot of wood with a cub cadel lol you never hear of anyone using that junk just like the new homelites probely is the same saw

I was just responding to Rockys Efco saws are plastic junk, My Efco (Cub) seems to be built well, I can't tell you how long it will last as I don't it much or my Stihl's or my Huskys, I use my Echo's cuz they cut with the best of them, are light, handle nice,good price  and I can't  kill them.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Rocky_J

I deleted that post because every time I try to express my hard earned opinion on pro saws compared to homeowner/ farm saws, I seem to get somebody's panties in a wad. This time it was a brand new member with 2 posts. I've offended too many regular members here, now I'm offending the newbies. I'll try to just keep my opinions to myself and let you guys continue buying mediocre saws and thinking they are the best in the world.  ::)

ladylake

Quote from: STIHLFULLSKIP on February 18, 2010, 11:08:11 PM
calm down boys,i want positive input here,and lots of it. i am going saw shopping sat. a.m.

Maybe you can find a CS520 on Ebay cheap, my CS 510 and 520 saws are my favorites by far .   Steve

bl73

I've find myself leaning towards husky xp models and the jonsereds myself, i like the stihls but the dealer support isn't the best where i live, i had the 026 and that was a great saw, I've also run across alot guys with the bigbox store saws and come warranty time it's always customer abuse sorry we can't fix it attitude, i would go jonsered or husky xp.

STIHLFULLSKIP

i am definately interrested in a 346xp,i know it will be a good saw.but i have to say,i do not relish the thought of buying a 500.00 saw,and then spending another 40.00 on a muffler to make it run like it is supposed to. i have decided it will be 2 new 346xp's,and 3 new cs530's.

Cut4fun

I'm not brand biased and neither is this guy.  Only one way to find out.

I know this guy and he uses his saws big time. Probably already has a 1000 tanks through his new Efco already.    ;)

Here is his thread on a 60cc+ Efco he just bought to try.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41789.0.html

STIHLFULLSKIP

well i just bring myself to buy a husky,i dont know why,too much money,didn't feel right,not sure. we got 4 new cs530/16" today,got them for 350.00ea. with a spare chain for each saw. cant wait to put them to work.

Rocky_J

It's probably for the best.   8)

ladylake

I was looking forward to a side by side comparision.   Steve

miking

Quote from: STIHLFULLSKIP on February 20, 2010, 08:35:02 PM
well i just bring myself to buy a husky,i dont know why,too much money,didn't feel right,not sure. we got 4 new cs530/16" today,got them for 350.00ea. with a spare chain for each saw. cant wait to put them to work.

Money very well spent. The Echo saws have been the best investment for my business.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Cut4fun

Can you take some pics under the covers for us to see on the echos, maybe side to side with the husky even. Inside the top cover, starter and clutch area. Just curious on the new stuff.

strongsaw

Echo CS-530. Excellent choice,and at a very good price.You dun real good. Local dealer here has one CS-520 left, has $409 on tag, but his best price is $369 and that is the old gray model. When you need another saw check out the Efcos. I have 3 Echos and 2 Efcos. The Efcos are a much better saw than some would say, but that may be a lack of hands on experience. I did look - don't know if it is good or bad- the Efco 156 does have more metal and less plastic than the Echo 520. Plastic isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes the Efcos look a little pricey, but you can shop and find a deal.
Enjoy your new Echos - I know you will.

ladylake

My Cub Cadet 5720 (Efco) wieghts 3# more full with bar and chain than my Echo CS510 and they cut real close to each other. The Efco does have more metal but wieghts too much for the performance, I'd go with the Efco 165 which is the wieght as the 5720 but has quite a bit more power.     Steve

strongsaw

You are right Steve.Would make more sense to compare the Echo 530 ( 50.1cc; 11.2#) to the Cub 5220-Efco152 (51.7cc; 10.7#) I prefer running my CC 5220 to my Echo 520. They both cut good, just a matter of preference.
Echo says 530 dry is 11.2#.    Efco says156 (Cub 5720) is 12.1#  That's only .9# difference. I don't know where the extra 2.1# comes from. Maybe the 510 and 530 don't weigh the same or maybe the spec sheets are screwy.
You probably know Efco hasn't made Cubs for some time. The ones available are left overs. Therefore, hello Amazon.  Public view is Cub Cadet=MTD. Cub dealers had no luck selling a quality $500 saw. Cub should have gone to Electrolux ( Husqvarana, Poulan, McCulloch) and had them make a yellow homeowners saw for $150-200. That might have worked. Of course there are enough of those on the market already, I believe.

Thank You Sponsors!