iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log pile Rattlesnake

Started by SAnVA, September 09, 2013, 11:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Cutter,I have never seen a copperhead but I'am told and have read its the only venomous snake that's common in Ma.There have been many reports of rattle snakes in the blue hills just southwest of Boston.A friend of mine said many years ago he saw a rattler on a farm he worked on in Millis Ma.I was walking up rail birds in a marsh on the herring river in Harwich on the cape and almost stepped on a snake I swear was a cottonmouth.I cut it in half with birdshot but didn't want to fish the pieces from under the edge of the ditch.I asked a doctor friend a sportsman that grew up on the cape he said they are very rare but some exist.I asked a state biologist he said none in this state,guess I should have pulled the pieces out of the bank. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Herb,the snake came upon hard times and is now homeless he would like to come and live with you,he promised to be good. Frank C.

WH_Conley

Seems like state wildlife people know less about animals than anyone else. I recently had a Game Warden tell we had no Bears in my part of the state. Also that Coyote's won't eat sweet corn out of the garden.
Bill

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 16, 2013, 07:31:30 AM
Herb,the snake came upon hard times and is now homeless he would like to come and live with you,he promised to be good. Frank C.

Frank,

I shore am sorry to hear about that snake's predicumnet. Unfortunately, my wife has a one snake house rule and currently I'm the only snake allowed in our home...

Maybe the poor feller will find a home somewhere else. I hear tell a young lady named Eve is looking for a snake over in Eden...

Herb

Solomon

Anyone thought about introducing a big black snake or two.  They are not poisinous, they keep the vermin down and will kill Copperheads, rattlers and most other snakes.   I've got two big ones living under my house and a few out back around my shop and under my drying box..  I have no rodents or other snakes . I get real  PO'd if anyone messes with my black snakes!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

cutterboy

Frank, I checked a website that showed the distribution of copperheads in the US. Massachusetts has them in the Blue Hills area outside of Boston. Of course we all know there are plenty of snakes in the statehouse.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Myself I have nothing agenst snakes,the folks I bought my property from loved them and they were everywhere.Felt bad but the Gravely 40" mower got a lot of them.My little wife is from the phillipines and can't even watch them on TV.So unless I wanted to pick all the strawberries and bean I had to have a viper reduction program. Frank C.

5quarter

Frank...you would think, being from the Phillipines, that she would think nothing of them. more snakes than people in that part of the world. ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

bandmiller2

5Q,not when their all poisonus and medical help is spotty to nonexistent.Snakes are one of the big three killers of kids in PI. Frank C.

DR Buck

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 16, 2013, 09:14:38 PM
Myself I have nothing agenst snakes,the folks I bought my property from loved them and they were everywhere.Felt bad but the Gravely 40" mower got a lot of them.My little wife is from the phillipines and can't even watch them on TV.So unless I wanted to pick all the strawberries and bean I had to have a viper reduction program. Frank C.

Mower Deck is my favorite snake elimination method.   I also use bird shot load in my 9MM Ruger.   ;D  Works just as good and not as loud as the 20 gage.  :D     Before my Jack Russell passed away we never  had snake issues.   Now I see them all the time.   Mostly black snakes, but occasionally Rattlers.   Have I mentioned I hate snakes?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

bama20a

I was bite by a copperhead once, That is not any fun.
Now I've created a allergic reaction to them. When I see them my legs jump,& I can't quit running, ;D ;D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

bandmiller2

Was just reading only one person has ever died in Massachusetts from a snake bite and that was 200 years ago. In fact copperheads and rattlers are protected, fish and game dept. gets really fissed if you shorten their life expectancy. Frank C.

dovetails

The way I see it, if it is in MY yard, it is mine to do with as I want!
And that means if poisionus,it's a dead snake, do'nt care who don't like it.
You want to protect them, catch them before I see them.
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

thecfarm

Not saying I do it,but SSS. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

5quarter

Frank...true enough. good reason to fear them.

Not many Rattlesnakes around here...they have been all but extirpated by landowners in this area. They are more numerous as you go further south and/or west of here. Rat snakes predominate around here. about the best snake you could have around as their main diet is mice. also, they are very even tempered and don't mind being handled, as long as you're gentle. The biggest one I've measured was 67", but I have seen a couple that I suspect were even bigger.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!