iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Speaking of tractors

Started by Fraxinus, March 20, 2005, 07:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

I know where there's a little Cub tractor with hyd, belly cultivators, and a belly mower that could probably be bought on the cheap.  I don't know what year but it's a old one. Everything's there but it needs a carb rebuild.  Still runs good though, I think the tank needs cleaning is what tries to stop up the carb.  Belongs to my brother.  He replaced it with a little ford 8 n and he's let it set out for nearly a year now.  I'm on his tail to get it under cover, or sell it. He says it won't bring nothing much. 

I'd like to prove him right! ;D

Did I ever tell ya about the time I went with him to a Dodge  Dealership for a 10 dollar part and I started helpin the salesman and we like to sold him a brand new Dodge Dakota! ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

DanG

I posted this on the "Tractor Colours" thread, but shoulda put it here.  There's  a 8-N for sale here for $4400.  Maybe that'll light a fire under him. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

UNCLEBUCK

Nice tractor Frax , I like watching rfd tv when they have old tractor shows on
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

iain

So who's buying the tractor?,  it's to far away for me, but if you want the figure to look nicer $2000 is only about £1150 at the moment  ;)

iain

Ianab

As a complete thread hijack I thought you guys might like this story.

QuoteChugging's a drug for backroad boys and their Farmall tractors
22 March 2005 

Two tractor-driving brothers have been traversing the byroads of Taranaki with a wave and a grin.

Every March, Waikato farmer Bill Storey (66) and his Auckland-based brother, Murray (65), get on their matching 1943 McCormick Farmall H tractors and head for the backblocks.

This time they pointed their wheels towards amber-and-black country.

"The Taranaki people have been absolutely marvellous. They can't do enough for you – and we are total strangers," Murray said yesterday.

On Saturday and Sunday nights, the men stayed at Hawera, where a motel owner lent them a ute to drive about in.

"We used it to go to church," Bill said.

They opted to ride their red machines to see the tractor collection at Tawhiti Museum. On the way, a man in a big American car pulled up to offer them directions and took them home to see his own vintage trucks and tractors.

Another man fixed a broken throttle lever and dropped it off by 7.15am yesterday so the Storeys could get back on their sheepskin-covered seats.

By lunchtime yesterday, they finished visting Murray's old mate Merv Turner in Stratford and were taking the Forgotten Highway to spend a night in the Whangamomona Hotel.

It took them four hours to get there. "We've had a great reception here, by the people," said Murray from the pub.

"Apparently we have to buy a passport because it's a republic – we haven't done that yet, but we will."

At their Stratford stop, the brothers said the trip to Taranaki had taken them two days.

"This is the furthest we've been," Murray said. "This one will be 700km and we've done it in stages."

Avoiding main roads, they chugged from Matamata to Piopio, where they stayed Thursday night at the pub.

The next day, they journeyed on one-lane metal roads between Aria and Ohura, meeting only one car on the steep and winding, bush-lined metal roads.

Between Ohura and Waitaanga, they saw four cars – and an incredibly low railway bridge. "We had to take our mufflers off to get under it," Bill said.

The men stayed Friday night in Urenui.

Sitting in the open air and high on their seats, the men said they had an amazing view of the countryside and the paths cut by European settlers.

"We went past derelict farmhouses and closed-down schools, and it just makes you realise your past," Bill said.

While the tractors travelled at a quarter the speed of a car on the open road, Murray said it felt like the old farm vehicles were motoring. "When you are doing 25km/h and those wheels are right by you, you're are moving – it's all go."

Bill said the tractors had brought the brothers together over the past four years and taken them back in time.

"When we were boys, the first tractor our father bought was a Farmall H, exactly like these – so it was a bit of nostalgia."

Over the years, with Bill on a dairy farm and Murray teaching at primary school, the Storeys had grown apart.

"We hadn't done anything together for 40 years," Bill said. "We've filled in the gaps now."

Their trail has taken them to the Coromandel, Waikato and Bay of Plenty. Today they head for Benneydale.

Seems they have done about 500 miles on those machines, this trip. Been past Ernies place up in North Taranaki, down south of here and then out along the Forgotten Highway from Stratford on the way home.
What a cool trip  8)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

maple flats

Had an old F 12 years ago. Was told by the dealer it was 15 horse (I think horses were bigger back then). Not sure of the year but was told it was an earlier one (the patent date was July 1923 according to the decal) Bought it from an old farmer who bought it new. Dad paid $125 for it in about 1960. The farmer hadn't used it for years because he preferred horses and ran a small dairy farm with horses. Dad gave it to me about 1975. After a few years I sold it to a collector (late 80's) for $750 (came on rubber but included original steel wheels)as I had bought my current tractor in 1982 (Ford 1500 4 x 4 compact diesel). Sure wish I still had the F 12.
The F 12 used to have 2 fuel tanks, gas to start it and then keresene could be switched to when engine was fully warmed up but you had to remember to switch back to gas before you shut it off. The crank start worked ok sometimes, at other times you had to tow it. When it was good you could crank once over the compression hump and it started, at others you could crank until exhausted and then decide to do a different task. 8) 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!