iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

best woods for smoking meat

Started by glassman_48, August 07, 2016, 08:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

we use hard maple mostly in late winter early spring with the sap in it makes it sweet

glassman_48

coxy,
thank you for another good idea, still contacting some restaraunts to see if there is enough need to pursue this.  thanks again

Ivan49

Do a search on the internet for woods used for smoking. There are some really good charts of different woods and what flavor it leaves in the meat. It also tells what wood not to use

glassman_48

ivan49,
thanks for that info, it generally says use heavier woods like oak, hickory for heavier meats like beef and pork.  Use lighter hardwoods like alder,  maple, fruit and nut bearing trees for lighter meats like poultry and fish.  I also went to wood database and that really has good pictures for identifying different woods.  One of the reasons I am looking into this is a good friend smokes meats at his convenience store and I never tasted meat like that before.  He asked me if I could get him some cherry for his smoker. 

blackbruin

Here in pa I smoke all my red meats and pork with 2 parts black birch and one part sassafrass.....

Chop Shop

Some folks out here and one native I have let use cotton wood sometimes.  Popular up north to.

I never have but its supposed to be kinda sweet.   It smells like poop, so I hope it smokes better!

ppine

Anyone that smokes fish, owes it to themselves to try red alder.  Buy some if you have to.
Forester

glassman_48

thanks to everyone for all their ideas, I had my first restaurant call and I am going to bag up some cherry and let them try it.  I will let you know how it works out.  If anyone has a smoker, I would not mind a phone call sometime so I can better understand this process.  thanks again

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

glassman_48

thanks magicman, just got this, must of turned off the notify button.

Ivan49

I was up by your place last week. Nice looking processor sitting in front. Some day when my wife isn't with me I'll stop in

Thank You Sponsors!