iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody with a swing mill or large slabber in Northern VA?

Started by DR Buck, February 24, 2009, 11:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I'm looking for someone to replace GA Boy to pass off my large oversize logs to.    Since he sold his Peterson I haven't found anybody close that wants to do milling.   I have a customer that called this week with a 5ft diameter oak down that he'd like to not have go to firewood.   I have no desire to hand quarter it with a ripping chain.  I'd prefer to just let someone else with the right equipment take it on.

Anybody out there?   ???
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DR Buck

Quote from: zopi on February 25, 2009, 03:23:06 AM
jeez I wish I were home...

Zopi,

I thought your home was VA Beach and you had an LT15   smiley_headscratch       If I'm correct, it's no match for these kinds of logs and still make a profit.

zopi

Yer right...but I have an MS-660 with a 36 inch bar and a scarcity of hardwood... it'as alot of work to
quarter one but if it's for your own use it's no big deal....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DR Buck

Dan_Shade

Dave, I have a contraption that I made which should aid in quartering a large log with a chainsaw.  I may get a chance to try it out in a month or so.  If it works, i'll post up some pictures of it.  You won't get the big wide flitches with it, but it will help break down a large log to (more) easily get it on the mill.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodbowl

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Captain

Ya know, Dave I could always be persuaded to travel for a couple days of work  ;D

Captain

DR Buck

Got another inquiry today.  Customer has a 45" diameter Red Oak he wants milled.   He's in Alexandria (read that D.C.).  No way I'd try and quarter it without having handling equipment on-site and I'm not making multiple trips down there to get everything needed in and out.  Just going down there at all is a real pain.

Still looking for someone in N. Va that can/will mill large logs so I can pass off these jobs to.

Dan......We still want to see the pictures.

mcfcfan

Hi DR-Buck,
Lee here from Peterson NZ.
I have a rep in New Canton VA,Chuck Almany, he has WPF, his contact details are on our web site here is the link http://www.petersonsawmills.com/company_state_representative.htm
Give him a call or email I am sure he will help if he can
Good luck
Regards
Lee
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

DR Buck

Thanks for the info Lee.   Not sure that he would want to make the 3+ hour trip each way to do a job up in this end of the state.   I'll shoot him an email.

Dave

mcfcfan

Hi Dave,

You never know, he drove 5 1/2 hours to the shootout in Morgantown with his mill to demo it for us.
Mind you i did supply him with a few refreshments during the 4 days 8) 8)
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

Thank You Sponsors!