iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Close call

Started by luvmexfood, February 17, 2014, 03:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeroJunk

Quote from: luvmexfood on February 19, 2014, 11:28:55 AM
Quote from: ZeroJunk on February 17, 2014, 06:00:14 PM
I sawed a hole in my blue jeans Saturday. Have chaps, just didn't put them on.  Bad place to be working, not concentrating on what I was doing.

Moral of the story, if you are in thick brush make sure your chain has stopped before you start stumbling around to the next cut.

I did something similiar a couple of years back. This was before I even knew about chaps. Was cleaning out a fence row to rebuild it. Somehow got the saw into my leg. Not enough to need stitches. Anyway felt it and looked down and saw the rip in my jeans. First thought, darn I ripped my pants and started back to make next cut. About 5 seconds later the realization kicked in. Then I really ripped open the jeans to see about my leg.

Dad was cutting some locust posts years ago. Sawing up from the bottom and the saw cut his foot. About halfway off. Got into the bone etc. He would not let me take him to the ER till I took him home so he could change clothes. Took about an extra hour to get him to ER. Cast, drains, stitches the whole shabang.

I was actually working on an old fence line. The fence is long gone but it has cedar trees about 20 inches in diameter but maybe only 30 feet tall and spread out 20 feet all the way to the ground. Plus the ground is about a foot higher on one side where the cows worked it down over the years. Mean spot to work.

LittleJohn

I personally have never launched a saw, PINCHED - all the time.

Scariest one I had was when I was in my teens; just started working (first day actually) for a family friend/logger and my job to run a chainsaw in the yard (belimbing poplar) and unhooking chokers from skidder.  I was so proud that day; new boots, helmet, chaps & lunch box. Morning went good, then about 15 minutes after lunch I am knockign branches of a poplar and was not looking for "LOADED" branched, those under load from when skidder drags and pushes on branches.  NEEDLESS to say I ended up with a hole thru my brand new boots and sock, but not foot - and it would have been messy (right in the arch of foot).

For the rest for the day I was only allowed to release chokers!!!!  By end of summer I was running skidder, cause the other genious could not figure out how to show up sober!!!

John R

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 18, 2014, 11:57:23 AM
When I walked into my chain saw repair shop with a pair of pants on with a chain saw cut in them, but not my leg, the repair man would not let me leave without a set of chaps. I still have them to this day.

He told me that I could leave with my saw and go cut all the wood I wanted.

But to remember that the saw cuts at the rate of "72 stitches per second." So don't slip for even a tenth of a second.

Jim Rogers
Good thing to remember.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

luvmexfood

Couple of close calls this week.

Cut a maple and was cutting to length right in a forks. One fork busted loose and drove the back saw handle into the ground about 3 inches and the bar had a gentle bow in it of about 4 inches. Got my little 180 and sawed it out expecting a bent bar and busted handle. All was fine. Lucky on that.

Second my son brought his two dogs( a weinerimer and doberman) down for me to keep the next week. They live in a subdivision and the dogs don't get to run much. The weinerimer has stayed here a lot and knows the farm but the doberman is pretty new to here. Both are rescue dogs. Anyway I went out to cut and they did not come. Just as I was falling a smaller sourwood to make room to cut a big poplar they appeared in the falling path of the tree. The doberman got switched a little by a twig but you talk about two dogs running full blast for home. Would say they had their tale tucked but both tales have been docked. Didnt think they would come out because my long time beagle didn't come out and he is sort of the lead dog.

Guess all's well that ends well.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Step

This was great read this morning. 

I got where working alone with my cell is dang near if not more safe than having someone around.  People don't realize how fast that top moves. My grandfather laid my saw down last year Husky 142e and sure enough while telling him to get back and arguing with him.  The saw was over looked busted the gas tank and handle out it.   

Daughter last year scared me and walked up close behind me while cutting up a limb.   I can go with two saws, gas, oil and jug of water, cell phone and have uneventful day.  Just me and God.   Bring a hard head with me then I am having to much to keep up with. Too many people and to many things.  However, on tough stuff I pack a buddy.   

I dont get hung up very often anymore for some reason.  I must be getting better.    Ice storm 2009 and Katrina taught me a lot about handling down trees.     Watch next week I will get hung up all week.
Husky 272xp, 142e, 136, 235e, Homelite super xl, and Poulan WildThing.

thecfarm

Step,I can understand that. I have told the wife and friends many time,until they all say I know I know,  ;D  Never walk up behind me on the tractor. Sometimes I don't look behind me when I back up,if I can remember what's behind me. I may only back up a few feet,but that is enough for someone to get hurt.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Step

I get nervous with downed big trees.  Especially the ones that are snipped high on the log.  Those things shift and move while working them up.   
Husky 272xp, 142e, 136, 235e, Homelite super xl, and Poulan WildThing.

Thank You Sponsors!