iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choke acting up on mill

Started by brdmkr, April 27, 2009, 01:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

Sometime, not all the time, when the engine on my mill gets under a load (deep cut, cutting through a knot, etc.) the choke will pop out and flood the engine.  If I catch it in time, I can pust the choke back in and it will recover.  It is normal for the choke to come out a little when under load, but I find that I am having to keep a hand near the choke to push it in if it goes all of the way out.  I had considered wiring it in, but got concerned that the carb may not be able to function properly when it bogs down.  This is a fairly recent probelm.  I thought that just cleaning everything might help, but I really don't see anything that could be sticking.  Any ideas on what to check?

Engine is an 18hp B&S.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

mburrow

it not normal fo the choke to come on while running, the choke should be off when running as it should only be needed used to start engine

bandmiller2

beammkr,under load the engine is sucking the choke closed.They have a detent or a friction arrangement to hold it open .Look at it and make the choke a little harder to push and pull.Sometimes a slight bend in the choke control rod will help.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mburrow

some of the briggs uses a spring to help hold the choke open, and some just uses friction on the rod to hold the choke open, eather way you want to have the choke open while it is running

WH_Conley

Before I took the onan off my my mill and put the Kohler replacement on I had to put a tarp strap on to keep the choke off/in.
Bill

brdmkr

I am thinking I will have to rig something up.  I wonder if I have lost a spring? 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Slabs

Might the clamp on the choke cable conduit at the carb end have come loose and allow the conduit to move with vibration??  I fixed a problem like that today on a lawnmower.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!