iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a new mill.

Started by eller, December 07, 2004, 06:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eller

I'm looking to buy a mill for our small community up here in Kasilof Alaska and I  by talking with friends in the business I have started narrowing it down to a circular versus bandsaw mill and am partial to the Mighty Mites A rriend has been using the D912H 56 HP for many years and loves it but wishes he had a D912WT 100HP model.
The difference in price is not too bad but I am looking for input on this brand versus others and the smaller versus larger model.
We hope to get an electric one but haven't looked into the cost comparison over the long haul, nor what I would need since three phase isn't available out where we live.
Thanks
Ted

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't know nothing about Might Mites but we've got a 25hp 3ph Wood-Mizer running on a rotary phase converter.  I'd say our electric bill is about 20% of what it'd be if we had a fuel engines. (we've got an edger with 3ph motor too).

As long as I'm setup where I can plug in,  that's what I'm going to do!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

D._Frederick

Eller,

For my 2 cents worth,  you can't go wrong with Mighty Mite if you like this style of saw mill. They are built within 30 mile of me, and I have seen them since they started to build them. If you get there 100 hp diesel mill with the log deck and lumber handling equipment you should be able to saw up to 20,000 bdft. a day. The only fault I see with this mill is that the blade they use results in a 3/8 inch kurf.  Some of the big saw mills have this mill to break down over size logs.

As far as replacing the 100 hp diesel with a 100 hp electric motor to run on single phase power, for get it. It would take at least a 400 amp service to run a phase converter this size. Unless you are sitting next to the power company transformers, they  will have a hard time supplying this amount of power on 220 volts.

If you are set about going to electric power, you might want to think about going to a narrow band bandsaw mill, they will run with a 25 hp motor. The only problem is that you are looking on a good day of sawing about 3000 bdft maximum.

VA-Sawyer

I think you just got some pretty good advice there.  :)

slowzuki

You may want to check out electric versions of things like Heartwood Select double cutting bandsaw.  They are a large band saw that uses wide double sided bands that cut going both directions on a log.
Ken

QuoteEller,

If you are set about going to electric power, you might want to think about going to a narrow band bandsaw mill, they will run with a 25 hp motor. The only problem is that you are looking on a good day of sawing about 3000 bdft maximum.

Frank_Pender

I would sure try and visit some of the large number of Mobile Dimension Mill owners in Alaska.   If you need to contact someone and you are not aware of there whereabouts, the factory can help you locate someone near where you are located. You can call them at: 1-877-272-9645 and they can help you locate a mill.  Ir your desire is to produce dimensional lumber in a rapid manner for major or minor constructions job, that is the mill for you.   Sometimes someone is fisnished using their MD mill for their home in Alaska and is willing to sell.  That is in option you might consider.  They also make a electric motorized mill.  I am not sure of the cost involved with the electric version.  I have seen some in operation and they are VERY good and fun to watch as opposed to my two gas powered units.  Feel free to contact me if you wish.   I would be more that happy to talk with you about various options in mills.
Frank Pender

Bruce_A

Nice to know you are with us Frank, I had begun to think you didn't like me.

DanG

Hey Frank!! 8)  I don't know where you've been, but I was about to put out an APB on ya.  Welcome back!

From all I can learn, MightyMite is a Mighty Fine mill. If you can find one that's electric powered, or and electric MD, you'd be in good shape.

It wouldn't take a 100hp electric to do the same as a 100hp deisel. Besides, 400amp electric ain't a big deal. I asked the Co-op engineer about it, and he said they'd just use bigger wire....no extra charge. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

D._Frederick

Glad to see you back in the fold, Frank.

etat

Me Too.  I was kinda worried that since the fall of CFI an the resulting investigations them revenuers had done worked their way up to Oregon and had ya on the run or sumpthin.

Good ta see ya back. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

doublecutusa

I've heard good things about the MM saws.  I would consider looking into what you want to cut and why as far as band versus circle.  They both have their place it just depends on what you are wanting to achieve.  Good hunting!

Fla._Deadheader

Good to see ya back, Frank 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

doublecutusa

Lots of good saws...check out the sponsors.

eller

I will be milling six and eight inch house logs for my shop barn garage  buildings(30,000 lineal feet approx) and lots of floor and roof boards. I assume this is best done with the circle saw as I'm told its two to four times faster, but I no nothing abnout milling. I am looking intto the 100hp versus fifty hp electric mill from mighty mite  and wonder what the extra hp and extras get me and is it really worth going with the larger model
Thanks for all your input, all of you
ted

GareyD

Eller

I have just got a MightyMite G412MD wif the 56 hp Vdub engine...I can honestly say it will cut reel gooood lumber way faster than I can keep up with working by myself...and will keep me and my almost SonInLaw going at a run....

The way I understand gas/electric motors...the 50hp electric would equal to a 100hp gas...which would mean it is way faster than mine.

If I'm way out in left field with my reckonin' ...everybody feel free to pile on  ;D ;D ;D

GareyD
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

D._Frederick

Eller,

It will cost you about half to run a diesel over a gas engine. A 1725 rpm electic motor has 3 ft-lbs of torque per horse power, the new design of diesel engines are approaching that figure. If you are cutting wide boards to the maximum of the saw, more horse power is the way to go. If you tend to saw by your self, the extra speed may not be a help. If you plan on selling the mill, the mill with a bigger engine may be easier to sell for more money.

If you thinking about going electric, talk to engineers from your power company before anything else. If you are stuck miles away from the nearest substation, it may not be a good option.  Hope this helps.

DanG

You ain't in left field Garey, you're rounding third on the way home. 8)  That mill can keep more than two good men running with their tongues hanging out. ;D  When you get yer log handling system perfected and learn to let the offbearing types do the offbearing, your production will go up some more. ;D

Eller, I only got one point to make.  The learning curve on the multiblade mills is a whole bunch easier than that for a single blade mill. All you gotta do is envision the board you want, set the mill to take that board, and pull the handle. With a single blade circular, or band mill, you gotta really figure how you're gonna handle the entire log before you open it.  You'll get better at getting more from the log with experience, but with the multiblade, you can cut good lumber on your very first log.

DoubleCutUSA, I don't recall seeing your posts here before. But I got a feeling that I might have met you at Moultrie. Am I right? :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

Thank you for the concern, folks.  I have been extremely busy and not taking much time to communicate with much of anyone.  

As the sawing with the MD and the large 8 x material.  I have cut quite a bit earlier this last Spring and '03 Fall.  A simple conversion and you are in busniess.  Paul H. out of BC has cut way more than myself with the smaller gas version MD Mill  Model 127 with great success.

They are in the process of building a new model of MD mill that has the two larger edger blades all the time.  I believe Steve in the Big Island is in line for one of them and someone in Alaska is seeking to get one.  I may just sell the carrage and track for one of my hydraulic units and get one of them.  A fella has to stay up with the times, ya know.  
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

Besides, Bruce, what is there not to like.  I haven't even met ya yet. :D   You were going to come in from the Coast a few weeks ago and I was going to be gone or something that day.  You may as well come around the weekend as I hear you are to have some more stormy weather.   :'(

Eller,

You might really consider a MD Mill with an electric motor if you have the live juice available.  If the juice is not there you could also opt of a new genertor large enough to do the job and all the other poer you need for the house, etc. ???
Frank Pender

sawmill_john

Hey Frank if your so busy how come you haven't ordered any teeth lately?  And as for the new mill we "should" be working on, I think as of today we're back logged about 10 mills ;D and a couple atv trailers, so I'm not sure when we're going to finish the bigger mill :'(.
As for 6" & 8" house logs the MD 128 will knock out either 2 or 3 sided house logs like crazy!  There is a customer up in Tok AK who has two mills (1 elec., 1 gas) thats all he does is make cabin packages.  

John

Frank_Pender

Ther you go eller, you just got the word where you could find someone or speak to them.  That you John.  As to the teeth< I am still working on the last several hundred I purchased.  Also, part of the busy is the increased timber land management that I am now doing as well as over seeing logging sites that have dropped into my lap.  Then, there is the kiln operation that is cooking every day.   I am loading in a new charge today and I have not even shut down the kiln, I am just letting continue to stay warm in the unit.   I am about ready to purchase another trailer for drying.  The demand is really out there.
Frank Pender

Stephen_Wiley

See Frank...........ya stick your head up out of the 'wood work' and the salesman have ya in their sites.  :D  :D

Speaking of where ya been...............How about it John? have not seen ya on here since just after last years OLC. ;D

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Swede

Think I could use a Mobile Dimension sometimes but first want to see it in work. Have anyone seen one i Europe or do I have to wait for another hundred years?  ::)
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

GareyD

Swede

Instead of waitin' to see A MD in Europe, ya' can get on a plane and come see my MightyMite which is a lot like an MD....and...we could invite ourselves down to DanG's and see his MD...and....

I guided 4 fellers from Sweden trout fishin' in Yellowstone National Park way back when....we got along just great once they was around long enough to start understandin' my Southern Accent  ;D ;D ;D

GareyD
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Swede

GareyD

I´m coming! Have to wait for the "Big FF $5000 contest" first. The day after I´ve got the money I´ll nock at Your door. Have to visit a lot of people in the US!
 Next day I´ll try them Grits, 2:nd day I understand some of whatchya tryin to tell me . Then we´ll go make some sawdust.  :D

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Thank You Sponsors!