iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

471 detroit control

Started by bstreyle, February 02, 2022, 07:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bstreyle

im very ignorant when it comes to my detroit. its a 471 2 stroke but i dont know what govenor is on it . they say i should have a variable speed gov. anybody could post a pic of a variable speed gov. and throttle arrangement, id appreciate it. i ve been told i need 1cable for throttle control and 1 cable for a kill or shut off switch. i really appreciate any help. thank you

handhewn

I've been running a 671 2 stroke for 40ish years. It has never failed so I don't know anything about the governor but I can tell you I just throttle down and it shuts down. No extra anything needed.

mudfarmer

Who is the "they"? 

I am nowhere near an expert but was recently dealing with Detroit that had manual shutdown cable (fuel shutoff? Air shut off?) Like many diesels do. It has a cool throttle setup that someone rigged up with an air brake can and a spring. Still uses an air brake valve like in a truck, then spring from brake can to throttle linkage. Don't know anything about the governor except it worked

dgdrls

StimW

Detroit's have to have a fuel shut off and an emergency stop (air shut off).
You can google and find links to them "Running Away" and the only way to stop them is shut off the air or wait for them to blow up!
They will also run backwards! ( until they seize from oil pump running backwards)
I had a GMC Semi run backwards. I was backing under a heavy trailer and stalled it, it shot me back out starting the engine backwards. Good thing I had been told about it, I shut it down before any damage. 
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Thank You Sponsors!