iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you fill your fuel and LUBE jugs/tanks?

Started by Magicman, March 03, 2020, 05:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I realize that probably most of you simply remove the sawmill fuel jug. but I do not.  I fill it in place every evening.

I got interested in this topic because of my recent shoulder surgery and an additional 4 more weeks of having the arm in a sling and immobilized. Whether the jug is removed or left in place fueling the sawmill was going to be a challenge.

Some Google searches led me to buy this: Harbor Freight 12v Diesel Transfer Pump An online 20% Coupon knocked it back to $104.00

I wondered about the 3/4" hose, but I should not have been concerned. It immediately pressurized the hose/nozzle and emptied a 5 gallon Diesel can in the advertised 30 seconds!!  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

My LT 35 doesn't have a removable fuel tank.  It has a metal enclosure around the poly tank.  So I have to fuel on the mill.  Even lowering the head still means holding the fuel can at chest to shoulder height.

I can see how shoulder surgery would be an impediment to lifting 40 ish pounds to that height.  I don't have experience with the HF transfer pump but it looks like it would fit the need.

Hope you are healing well.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

btulloh

Interesting.  Good solution.  I'm sure your shoulder will appreciate the new method of fuel handling.

I have a very similar pump I bought at TSC a few years ago (without the hose).  It's worked well for me, but I need something like that for gasoline as well.  Seems to be a bit harder to find something in that price range that is rated for gasoline.

Anyway - nice upgrade and good report.  Hope your wing keeps getting better and you can resume all your normal activities ASAP.
HM126

kelLOGg

I climb up a ladder about 2.5 ft and pour in 2.5 gallons per trip in my 6 gal tank.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WV Sawmiller

I normally remove my fuel (Gas) tank to fill it but when mobile I sometimes fill it on the mill at the gas pump going or returning. I like the system you just bought. I wonder if the make a hand pump/squeeze version for gas? Looks like it would be a reasonable item for someone to design?

I do know if they make these dang gas cans any safer we will never get a gallon of fuel out of one of them. >:(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OffGrid973

The single most dangerous part of my operation is the refill. LT-10 with small koler engine and needing to pour through the screen filter out of a can that needs pressure to release the flow (new idea good, usability stinks).

Every time there is a random flow that pours everywhere and I am waiting for the one time it ignites...if anyone has an easy fix for this I am all ears.  Also will keep my gloves from stinking like gas on cleanup.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Magicman

The only thing that I know of to help gasoline users is a hand operated pump.

I am excited about this Diesel Pump because it will also come to my rescue when filling the tractors.  I fill everything from 5 gallon jugs and now they can sit on the ground and let the pump do the work.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jeepcj779

I sometimes use a hand-start siphon pump to transfer gasoline from my 15 gal tanks to 5 gal and 1 gal tanks. I place the 15 gal tank on the FEL to elevate and let gravity do most of the work. The siphon pump must be held open with a handle, and can be shut off by releasing the handle. I have not had any issues with spillage (yet).

Bruno of NH

For the gas guys
I use a wheeled gas caddy that has a hose with hand pump.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SawyerTed

I take the spout off my "gas jug for dummies" and the neck of the jug fits the neck of the tank.  I just pour the fuel without that press to pour useless spout.  I spill far less fuel using my method.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Tom King

There is a seller on ebay that sells fuel tank spouts that use a length of rubber fuel hose.  May be an issue if you have fuel tank police bugging you.  I think I have about 8 or 10 of them for different uses.  

The ones for Midwest jugs work the best because you can reuse the gasket that came with the jug, and they go around the aluminum turned part that goes under the cap.  I ended up having to make some gaskets for my older jugs where the gasket sits completely under the machined aluminum part that goes under the cap.

I thought I had some better pictures of the Midwest jug setup, but didn't find them. This shows the spouts on the jugs sitting on the ground.  They're much more spillproof than "spillproof" spouts.   You can more easily lower the jug while the spout is still in the fill neck, regardless of how much fuel is still in the jug.

They also come with a vent.  I put two vents on my diesel fuel jugs, and it does run out a lot faster.

I can't remember what they cost.   They weren't cheap, but I think around $23.  I've had them for some number of years.

edited to add:  They're kind of hard to find on ebay, but copy, and paste this in the search box there.  I have no connection to that seller other than spending a couple of hundred bucks with him.  You need to see his other items if you have a different brand of gas can.  If you are going to buy a can, get a Midwest.     SPOUT FITS BRIGGS & STRATTON WEDCO GAS CANS, FOUR GALLONS PER MINUTE FREE SHIP

Patrick NC

Since my mill only holds 1.5 gallons I let the head all the way down and fill it from a 2.5 gallon metal safety can with a funnel attached to the can. The metal cans are more expensive,  but a lot better than those new plastic spouts.  
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

jeepcj779

Tom King

If anyone needs a nice 100 gallon tank, on a cradle that can be lifted with a single chain hook on a loader bucket, and a 12v pump with service station type nozzle, I have one that I'm not using.

It's been under a shed, but probably has some 20 year old diesel fuel in the bottom of it.  I used it back when I did a little real estate developing, but haven't needed that much fuel at one time since then.

doc henderson

I did all the maint. on my sawmill and log splitter yesterday.  makes you nervous to get gas on your hands and clothes and poss. make a spark.  be careful.  also does anyone know how to prime a new fuel filter with the "in and out" opposite each other, for small engines with 1/4 inch fuel lines, without it being 1/2 full of air?  I tried everything, but submersing it.  they work fine, but it looks wrong!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

On a gas engine, like my Kohlers, I have never bothered to prime one, just let the pump pick it up and yes it looks half empty all the time. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jeepcj779

Tom King,
 I would like to come get that tank from you, but it will be a little over 3 months.

JoshNZ

I'm sure you guys with bigger mills have air compressors nearby, could you make a cap that has a hole to push air in and a sealed hose to the bottom of the jug?

Heli guys used to fuel from drums like that out in the field with a hose off their bleed air, pressurising the whole drum and pushing fuel out through a hose. But the top of the drum would sometimes pop out from pressure and fire the drum cap that was accidentally placed on top of it (which you never did but, one day you did..) up through the rotors so it got old pretty quick.

Even a sealed jug with a tiny grommet you can insert a duster gun into works, I've used this to fuel tanks with no fuel caps in models.

rjwoelk

Lynn I have a 12volt pump as well , on my overhead fuel tank. We used to go gravity but the newer tractor is the same height and took forever to fill. Got it from the local co-op store.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

nativewolf

We use the same one when we can't get the pickup and transfer tank close enough.  I was tired of spilling fuel and having my lunch spoiled by the smell of fuel spilled on clothes or boots.  I don't care for diesel...but use quite a bit of it.
Liking Walnut

ButchC

I also have a hard time holding 5 gallon cans over waist high. On marketplace we found a 25 gallon fuel caddy on wheels that was pretty cheap, $100 as I remember. It has a rotory pump and 10' of hose. Best money I have ever spent for fueling equipment. They are listed often around here.  We strap it to a pallet to go fill it up and unload it with a fork lift. Lacking a lift you could fill it with 5 gallon cans and a big funnel. Even if you leave it in one place away from the mill it is MUCH easier to fill a gallon jug or two at the tank and dump them in the engine.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Magicman

dogbo2013's pump LINK looks like an excellent solution for Gasoline.

The pump that I bought is for Diesel only.  I will take a picture of mine in operation.

Just as information, I have grown weary of plastic jugs for my Diesel and gasoline.  I have been very satisfied using these metal cans:  LINK

Stephen1

I use a siphon hose, place the jug up on the tank, jiggle the hose as it has a brass fitting with a glass marble in it set up the siphon effect. I use it on everything, boat, tractor, sawmill. Cheap and very effective. They cost about 10-15$ at TSC, Princess auto and of course Canadian Tire. I bet your Harbour freight caries them.

Note from Admin:  Pics must be in Forestry Forum Gallery.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

True, but the supply has to be higher than the empty to siphon, hence the reason for me needing a pump.  It was already difficult for me to lift the jug shoulder high, and with the shoulder surgery, impossible, at least for now.

If the helper refills he can pour and if I refill I can pump.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!