iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another chance to win a Forestry Forum Jacket tonight.

Started by Jeff, December 23, 2010, 05:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

DanG! Just found this thread at 10:41 ET, and Warbird was down to 5! What to do? I'm only good at short anagrams.

Right, knock together a program and cut & paste the songs into it. Finished & working at 10:56. DanG!! Warbird's only got 2 left.

Grab the song Christmas songbook -- it's right on the piano, thank goodness Barb's been playing a few carols. Start typing in like mad. It's 11:05 and I've only got 5 hits. Do you spell it "Oh" or "O". DanG again, it isn't consistent gotta choose a spelling that the anagram works with.

No time to see how Warbird is doing. Is anyone else even trying? I'm madly typing in "modern" carol names. Up to 14 hits. Wait, it's not spelled "Raindeer", dummy, there's 2 more hits!.

Well, I'm stuck. How's Warbird doing? Right, he finished half an hour ago. Anyhow, here's what my computer figured out.

AWAY IN A MANGER
OH COME ALL YE FAITHFUL
O LITTLE TOWN OF BETHLEHEM
 ?
RUDOLPH THE RED NOSED REINDEER
SILENT NIGHT
JINGLE BELLS
JOY TO THE WORLD
WE THREE KINGS OF ORIENT ARE
I SAW MOMMY KISSING SANTA CLAUS
LITTLE DRUMMER BOY
 ?
DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR
WE WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS
THE FIRST NOEL
ILL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS
JINGLE BELL ROCK
OH HOLY NIGHT
HERE COMES SANTA CLAUS
 ?
OH CHRISTMAS TREE
SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN
GRANDMA GOT RUN OVER BY A REINDEER
WHITE CHRISTMAS

Congratulations Warbird & Ty. I don't think my method was exactly what Jeff had in mind anyway. Mind you, I still had to come up with the names -- the computer just did the matching. And this all brings to mind that thread on spelling ;).

Merry Christmas everybody.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Jeff

Warbird, I'm tricky. I'm not going to let you give up your jacket because I have TWO coats to give so Ty gets one too.  I need you guys to send me what size jacket you prefer. If I don't have that size, you will get the next larger.

The hard part about this is that someone else submit in between, but he sent the list to me in an instant message and did not follow the instructions of posting the list on the thread.  We needed the list posted so everyone else would have the option of whether to keep working on it or not. So, I had to rule the submission ineligible.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

you are the best jeff. 2 jackets is a great solution. well its better than 1/2 a jacket each. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

This was a great challenge for  "word challenged" members.  Half is about all that I was eligible for when Warbird posted.  Whew.  I was 'bout ready to PM him those last two answers.    ;) :D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

Jeff, that's pretty cool.  Thank you.

MM, the Mrs helped me out with those.  She got about half of them, starting out really strong.  I finished strong.  We got every single Christmas CD we own and I was looking up Christmas song lists online.  We musta looked hilarious, pouring over all these lists, "Oooo, could it be this one?!"  I was surprised by how much the wife got into it.

Great fun.  Thanks again you guys.

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

tyb525

Thanks Jeff :)

I started off by myself and got about 10 of them, then enlisted the help of my mom, along with several lists on the internet, to figure the rest out.

I suppose if I had gotten her help from the start I might've been first ;)

Good job Warbird!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sawman

Congratulations Warbird and Ty , you fellas earned this one.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Radar67

I sure meant to come back to this thread last night, but got busy showing my nephew how to do a little leather work. We ended up making him a leather cuff.

Jeff, this looks really similar to one of your contests a few years back. I really enjoyed that one.

Congratulations to the winners.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

Quote from: Radar67 on December 24, 2010, 12:23:20 PM
I sure meant to come back to this thread last night, but got busy showing my nephew how to do a little leather work. We ended up making him a leather cuff.

Jeff, this looks really similar to one of your contests a few years back. I really enjoyed that one.

Congratulations to the winners.

Yes, I save everything and this was a simplified rehash of that previous contest. In that contest you got the anagrams in groups of 5, had to take the first letters of each line and search the forum to get your next 5. Eventually you would find your way to a hidden form that you could only find if you solved the anagrams. From there you could register for the drawing of the prize.

Brucer

Well, I didn't have a hope of winning, but I sure had fun.

I'm glad there were two jackets available, because both the winners really are winners. :)
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

tyb525

I got my jacket today. It's awesome! Fit perfect, too! 8)

Thanks!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

Any chance of getting a photo so we have an example for that color?  I think they are pretty sharp. :)

tyb525

Thank You Sponsors!