iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

eye glasses stories

Started by thecfarm, June 29, 2024, 09:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I have 3 and all have a good ending.

Before I had a limbing saw I was standing on the stone wall cutting limbs that hang over the field.
It was just about dark, and one limb came down and hit me in the face and head. I thought that's a good end for today. I headed for the house.
I always take my clothes off in the entrance way because most times my clothes are very dirty. I reach up to remove my glasses and they are not there. I knew where they are, but being dark I knew there was no way that I would find them.
I waited until morning to go find them. And there they were laying in the woods right where I knew I lost them. I just about walked right to them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

Number 2
I was bush hogging the field. Where the tree line is on the lower part of the field the grass does not grow good. I was moving right along when I saw some aspen suckers growing into the field. This is normal, they were no more then 6 inches high.
So I steered a hard right to get at them. I was keeping away from the edge because of the low hanging oak limbs. Seem like them trees will produce limbs 20 feet long to get to the sun. These limbs were hanging  down abut 4-5 feet from the ground. I did have a limbing saw at that time but had not got around to doing that job.
After that hard right at a good fast speed, I hit one of those low limbs. That limb hit me in the head and face, and I thought it was going to take me off the tractor. I made it through that mess and had enough smarts to check for my glasses.
They was gone!!
I thought sure I had run the bush hog over them!!!
I got off the tractor and started to look.
Now I kinda need them things, I can't see too well without them. I am walking around thinking I will find them after I step on them. I expected to see a twisted up pair of frames.
I look and I look. I know where the limb is and I look I bet for a half hour. I was really just about to give up and there they are!!! I picked them up all happy!!! Until I put them on. One lense is missing. I had not moved so I got a stick and stuck it into the ground so I could find that spot again. I got down on my hands and knees and started to look. probably another 15 minutes of looking and going back to that stick maybe 4-5 times, which I hate to admit. Again I was just about to give up and I went back to the stick and about 6 inches from that stick is the other lense!! How I missed it the other times is beyond me. Popped the lense back in and finished bush hogging and the next day I got out the pole saw and trimmed back the limbs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

I have to remember where I put my glasses, I can't see a DanG thing without them. The other day I spent half an hour looking for them, they were in my shirt pocket. SHEESH! ffcheesy
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nebraska

I have lost them on my head on top of my hat. The gals at the clinic take great joy at my expense on the occasion.   :wacky:

Old Greenhorn

Believe it or not Pat, I can beat that. This week at the mill, I took off my safety glasses and sat down for a break, some water and a smoke. Of course I was thinking "OK, what's next?' and not thinking about what my hands were doing. As I prepared to restart, I grabbed the glasses and wiped off the sweat streaks with my bandana, mopped my head an neck of sweat, looked at where I left off and then stated looking for the glasses. They were not on the console, the hydraulic box, or the big stump I use as a desk. I couldn't find them. Now I'm getting mad because I am working alone, nobody could have messed with them, my travel circle is very small and I can't find the, Now I am cussing at myself out loud and I am pithed because time is wasting and I want to get this done. Then I realized, they are in my left hand.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

ffcheesy I remember doing that with a wrench, good thing nobody was around.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

moosehunter

A few weeks ago at the end of a two day road job I was cleaning up/ packing up for the ride home. I knocked something off the tailgate of the truck. I knew I knocked it off because it brushed my leg on its way to the ground. Without fully thinking the situation over, I stepped back to see what fell and stepped square on my reading glasses with my size 13 logger boot. Those glasses were only a few months old. Luckily they were covered by the idiot warranty!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Machinebuilder

Yall are lucky being able to see that well.

If i accidently knock my glasses off the night stand I have to carefully group to find them.
There have been many times i get up and get my spare glasses so i can see to find my other ones.

Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

thecfarm

Number 3.
I had lost a chocker chain in the woods. I knew exactly where I lost it, but could not find it. I set it down and it was gone.  :huh?    
A year later I went back looking for it. It was in a grove of hemlock, so not much growing underneath the trees. I started to drag my foot on the ground to find that chain. I must have hit a ground hornets' nest. Those things came after me full bore-wide open. I bet I got stung 4-5 times before I got out of there and as I was running away, I got hit another 4-5 times. I had my hands just a flailing around my face. After I escaped that mess, I realized my glasses were gone!!! I gave them stinging critters a chance to calm down and took my hurting body back towards the battle ground. There is a woods road that I used to access this section of the woods. There was raspberries and blackberries bushes along the trail. As I was walking back in, there were my glasses about 3 feet high hanging onto a blackberry bush!!!
Lucky.
As has been posted, before I started to wear glasses I use to wear safety ones. I lost a few pair of them. Then I realized, once I put them on, keep them on!!!

kelLOGg

Ray,
I want you to come help me find my slotted screwdriver (the one I have had as a child) and lost it ~20 years ago. I have been over lots of space with my metal detector but no luck like you had. Also, my welding pliers are missing too - but start with the screwdriver first. ffcheesy
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

Only if you come help and look for the chocker chains I have lost. 
I have even lost one on the edge of a field.

SwampDonkey

I'm kinda like Ray, I have searched a small area, moved every leaf and branch looking for a bolt. It has to be there. Almost give up and ready to walk and at last glace there it is staring at me. Man, that PO's.  ffcheesy  One time on purpose, I left a stripped out blade nut off a clearing saw, on a stump. This was on a shared walking trail we used to walk in and out a work area, on a shared boundary between two work strips. I wanted to see if my partner would find it, thinking maybe I lost it. He did, and we had a laugh after I said it was worn out. No one was in danger of using it, as you'd find out quick that it was never going to tighten down a blade. The head would spin, but the blade would not as soon as it touched wood. But you'd know before that because the nut would never stop spinning with a wrench on it.  We've all had those kind of lock nuts with the Teflon worn out of them. But interestingly, I've only had one go bad and I probably have 4 spares. I think they come in a bag of 4 actually, and they usually want to sell you one for $10, a 25 cent lock nut.

Ray has lots of rocks, so if a chain slips off, and goes in between them rocks, you can forget it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I hate to say it, but every time I have lost a chain, I have laid it down to hook up a tree.  :huh?
I have had chains slip off a tree too. But I get off the tractor and start to back track. Seem like just about every time it's where I had started out. Those I find.   :huh?   Or most times I do. 
But the ones I lay down and nothing has moved, I cannot find.
Just like a use a cheap hatchet to pound in wedges. 
I know where I lost it.
The ground is kinda soft there, so it's probably a few inches into the ground.
But I can lose things in the house or outside too. I lay it down in a "good" spot so I can remember where it is. 

B.C.C. Lapp

Someday Ill tell you about the attack geese, the oil can, the eggs, the pyrotechnics, the island and the broomstick and the boat. Oh and what happened to my glasses out there.  
But not now. Its been a decade and I still get the shakes thinking about it. ffcheesy ffcheesy
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

kelLOGg

When I pulled logs out of the woods I had a short chain about a foot long with a snatch hook on one end and a grab on the other so I could join chains no matter what kind of hook they had. It being a short chain, I lost it easily several times so I painted it pink (don't tell anyone) and called it my Barbie chain. It went with the sawmill when I sold it.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!