iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandmilling ?

Started by Knute, July 14, 2010, 08:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

I had some red oak sawn with a bandmill and the boards seemed to have horizontal tooth marks across the boards deeper than in the past. Also, a lot of sawdust was left on the surface of the boards. Not a big problem, but does cause a little extra planing to get rid of those tooth marks. Thought many of you would know the cause.

Bill Gaiche

I had this happen to me the other day sawing some hickory. Problem was I had nicked my log stop and knocked one tooth out quite a bit and it sure was putting the marks across the boards. Changed blade and all was well.

Planman1954

From my very limited experience, the brand of the blade can determine smoothness of cut. My buddy and I have done a little experiment....woodmizer won. It can also possibly be the quality of a resharpened blade. I'm sure others will have more to say than I.

God bless.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Magicman

Sadly, sometimes sawyers will use a blade that has one or more teeth out of whack.  This may not be an issue with framing lumber, but the blade should have been changed before sawing lumber that will be planed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Knute

Thanks. I know resharpened blades were being used but not sure who sharpened them.

rbarshaw

For me it was always caused by one or more teeth being bent slightly out from all the others.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

ladylake

Yes a bent tooth or 2 and the extra sawdust comes from more set. Those boards would have to be pretty ugly not to plane out on the first pass. If planing from 1" to 13/16 there's no chance of the teeth marks still being there assuming they are cut straight which is far more important than a few teeth marks.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

Sometimes, when I set the teeth in my blades, for some reason they will set too far.

That is if I'm setting at .025, when I move the setter handle forward again to check to see what the tooth actually set at, it'll be maybe .030.  At that point, I have to straighten that particular tooth and start over.

If you don't double check the set and a couple of teeth get out of set like that, you'll get some "snaggle-tooth" stuff.

I think the extra sawdust can be from lots of things, too much set, uneven set and too much water.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Knute,very common problem on a bandmill usally no problem unless a tooth is way out.The usual cause is hitting a small nail,unless of course the person setting the blade was asleep at the switch.Sometimes you can see the splayed out tooth/teeth I usally shut the mill down and take a piece of sticking lightly running it over the band when something feels differant thats the tooth.A small adjustable wrench will bend the tooth back in line.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ely

i was sawing some of those shorts the other day, when i had a knot that was ahead on the log rub against my drive belt on the LM. well it pushed the drive belt smooth off the wheel as i was running wide open. so after i changed out the drive belt with a new one and put the blade back on i noticed these lines you are talking about on my boards as they came off the mill. it was not on the cant so i knew which side of the band to check. sure enough i found one tooth had hit something in the launch. when i grabbed it with pliers to bend it down it just broke right off, problem solved. smooth lumber again.

most of the time you will see the tell tale lines in all lumber, the better the band is at the weld joint the less noticable they are in the product. in my experience.

Thank You Sponsors!