iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

30 trees enough?

Started by brownj, June 03, 2014, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownj

I have 30 white pines on my property i want removed, ranging from 16-30 DBH.  Is this enough to get a logger to buy them?

If so, what would be the recommendation? I want the tress down is the main goal.  Milled to lumber or sue them if possible would be ideal.  I just dont have large equipment onsite to move them once down. Open to all ideas.

Thank you!

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Not near enough information to answer your question.

Where are you located?

Several places do not have a market for white pine.

You may find a forester willing to talk to you about your trees and get some good information.
Or stop at a lumber mill if one in your area and talk about your white pine.
But your location is important to get started with some help.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GAB

Many sawmills do not want to see pine from 4/15 to 10/15 as the lumber turns blue quickly in the summer heat, and there is not much of a market for denim pine.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

Down here, a logger would not come for 30 trees. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thenorthman

Depends if there is a market.  30 trees of that size out here is about 3 loads, more then enough for me, as long as there is a market for them, some places have been swamped with bug kill pine or pulp mills closing so having a buyer is the determining factor.
well that didn't work

Southside

Quote from: brownj on June 03, 2014, 01:47:12 PM

Milled to lumber or sue them if possible would be ideal.  I just dont have large equipment onsite to move them once down. Open to all ideas.

Thank you!

I have done small jobs like this, all depends on where you are, how hard the trees are to get out, etc.  Of course any time a client talks about lawsuits I tend to run away.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

brownj

I'm near Leesburg, VA.

Trees are planted in rows and easily accessible.

luvmexfood

Quote from: brownj on June 03, 2014, 01:47:12 PM
I have 30 white pines on my property i want removed, ranging from 16-30 DBH.  Is this enough to get a logger to buy them?

If so, what would be the recommendation? I want the tress down is the main goal.  Milled to lumber or sue them if possible would be ideal.  I just dont have large equipment onsite to move them once down. Open to all ideas.

Thank you!

Why would you go into a situation where  you want to sue someone? Unless it is a typo. We live in a small community and know who is prone to litigation. Nobody will do much business with them. Not worth the hassle.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

47sawdust

My guess he meant "saw them''. I hope so ,anyway.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

ZeroJunk

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

47sawdust

zerojunk-
Great handle,you must not be a packrat!
I think your guess is better than mine.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

brownj

:D yep, want to sue the trees.  Sorry about the typo, I meant "use them"

I've made a few calls locally and it sounds like there isn't much value in white pine right now?

Thoughts on on-site uses?  One thought I had was to make a log shed for the tractor and lawn tools?

barbender

Board and batten siding.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Tractor shed and lawn tool buiding sounds good. What kind,HP? Could that be used to move the logs around?
I made a horse run in with 10 inch boards and 4 inch batten. I cheated on some of the 10 boards.Some are only 9 inches.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brownj

no, its just a riding lawn mower.  I may be able to get access to a tractor to move them.

I was not thinking of milling them, just straight up logs.  Obviously notch the ends with a chainsaw.  Looking for the cheapest option here.

brownj

Just an update, talked to a bunch of loggers yesterday via phone.... no market for white pine in northern VA, especially a small amount.  I didnt realize 35 trees would not be a truck load.

So back to on-site uses?  I'm open to ideas or point me in the right direction. 

Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!