iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern white pine for log construction

Started by HARLEYRIDER, July 24, 2005, 09:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HARLEYRIDER

I'm looking into starting a handcrafted log home business, and want to know the "going rate" for grade 1 and 2 EWP  28-35 footers with 14" tops.  My first choice for the location of this business is northern maine  (even though most of the big trees there are already gone).   would this be sold by the ton, or by the BF?
again, I'm at the begining stages of this, and still have to hone my skills this fall.

What about buying logs from canada, and importing them. Is there taxes to pay at the border?

thanks

Greenwoods Timberworks

SwampDonkey

HI HarleyRider:

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new 'adventure'. I will say though that buying the pine logs from New Brunswick, as one source, may be difficult as most are scattered remnants or small stands and J D Irving pretty much has the market cornered as they have 3 mills dedicated to white pine lumber and their source is mostly off crown lands in New Brunswick and land holdings in Maine. Wood off crown lands (public) are not legally sold out of the province in log form. Irving is the largest white pine facility in the NE. I know a couple local timber framing companies that buy the size wood your looking for at $250 CDN a log (spruce and pine).

I beleive import duties apply only to softwood lumber imports. You can check with your US Customs.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HARLEYRIDER

Thanks....I was hoping you would see my question.
I was just up your way ATV riding (maine) ...rode down to the blue moose.

I was told that there is still some big trees up in the allagash.  ...and pay trucking.    anyone know of a landowner (northern Maine) ?
Greenwoods Timberworks

SwampDonkey

Maybe you can find some info from pappy, who lives in Wallagrass, Maine. A large part of the upper Allagash watershed is Irving owned except along the Border with Canada

couple maps for comparison:

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Allagash,+ME

http://www.jdirving.com/Index.asp?Site_Id=1&Page_Id=454

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HARLEYRIDER

thanks.  man, they own allot!!....and I'm sure they would not sell thier big, choice logs to some yahoo like me
Greenwoods Timberworks

Furby

Actually, I bet they would...........if you shelled out enough cash! ;)

treetech

Swampdonkey
I am over in PEI and I am doing a harvest that might have some larger spruce trees that I would sure like to get those kinds of dollers for. Any chance I could get the address or phone number of the timber framer. Also would they be interested in buying squared cants. I ran a bandsaw mill for three years and would love to get back into it.
treetech

quirkus

What kind of spruce? What exactly is a squared cant?

SwampDonkey

4x4, 6x6, 8x8, 10x10 etc. ;D

We were talking about white or red spruce, rarely black spruce big enough.

UNCLEBUCK

In Minnesota I checked on white pine cabin logs 40 foot + so it would fill the semi trailers and it was 4$ a log foot = 160$ per log , big logs !  Built a cabin like 32x32 from white pine and it had alot of knots but the knots really look nice . Logs had alot of taper as well but that gets equalled out . Any cabin logs I have bought or my dad has have always been by the log foot and no other way
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!