iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planting SYP Today

Started by Magicman, March 19, 2014, 10:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I hate cutting grass, especially when the land is adding no value.  I contacted my "tree guy" a couple of weeks ago about planting some open property and today is the day.

He had 750 trees left over from a previous job which was exactly what I needed.  Here the Guatemalans fill their bags.

And start planting the containerized seedlings with their hodads. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

Lynn,
Are those trees going in at the camp, or somewhere else? The field looks like right behind the cabin, but I don't see any vehicle tracks. Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

No, not at the Cabin.  It is a little more than an acre that is behind our Daughter's home.  Actually it is behind where we are building the storage building and is seen in the first couple of pictures here.  LINK 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BradMarks

MagicMan:  Please kill the grass, or your efforts may be for not.  In that pic it did not appear a scalp was being made prior to planting, or maybe that was just for the camera.

Magicman

After greenup, I will spot spray around each seedling with Arsenal.  I have had good results with doing that in the past.

The spraying not only removes the competition for nutrients, it also makes it easy for me to mow between the rows.   ;)

caveman

How are they laying out the spacing between trees and rows? Loblolly?
Caveman
Caveman

Magicman

Yup, Loblolly.  They planted according to their usual routine which looked like either 3 or 4 hodads wide and one step and a hodad between trees.  :D  I intend to go back out there tomorrow and put a tape to it because I was curious too.   ::)   ;D

BradMarks

Glad to hear you're spraying! 

Magicman

I stepped it off today and it looked to be ~12' between rows and 6' tree spacing. 

Thank You Sponsors!