iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prevailing Wage

Started by fishingmike, January 18, 2016, 10:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishingmike

I received a request for a quote on some tree removals  as part of a demolition project for a new fire station. As this is part of a larger public works project it requires that I pay prevailing wage to my employees. I have never done a job like this before and I was wondering how to figure the wage or how much above normal do you bid for such projects and if anyone has any advice.

starmac

If it is like here, all I can tell you is, it is a pain as you have to have certified payroll and a bunch more records. Here it is davis bacon, which comes out to union wage plus all the benifits or a little more, but you do not have to pay overtime on the benefit package part of it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Remle

I do not know about your area, but here in NY projects of that type have a bid proposal package that tell you the wage/ ect. for every worker that is to be paid and they check with workers to see if it is being paid. Book of prevailing wage rates should be available from the person requesting the bid.

coxy

jmop      but that's the trouble every thing has to be done as to union rules  that's why everyone is BROKE  :(

Okrafarmer

Sounds like your employees would be loving life during this adventure-- until it ends and things go back to normal---  ::) Then see how many of them show up for the next routine project. . . .

If it were me, I think I'd be leery of letting my men taste the gravy as things might be rocky after that. So I guess my advice would be to bid plenty high, to make it all worth it, including the paperwork hassle, which as the others have mentioned, should not be underestimated.  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SLawyer Dave

Every state is different.  I can't tell you how to calculate prevailing wages in Oregon, but I can give you some ideas where to start.

Generally, "prevailing wages" are calculated by the state.  So here in California, you can go to the California Department of Labor, and get quotes as to what different "job functions" should be making.  The most difficult part in my experience, is trying to calculate the rate for a non-specified employees.  A "fork lift" driver is going to normally be listed.  A "laborer" and "heavy equipment operator" will also be listed.  Trying to determine what the guy driving the "gopher cart" is supposed to be paid can be a bit more tricky.

So check out your NEVERMIND.

I figured it couldn't be that hard, so I did a little research for you.  I'm not licensed to practice law in Oregon, so this is NOT legal advice, but you might want to check out:

http://www.oregon.gov/boli/WHD/PWR/Pages/pwr_state.aspx

Oh, and by the way, make sure you both calculate YOUR prevailing wage into your bid, as well as the costs for the additional accounting and pay roll audits that are likely to be done to make sure you are in compliance.

fishingmike

Thanks for the advice. A lot of paperwork indeed. :o I have submitted the quote so we will see how I did. If I get it then I'll know I was the lowest bidder but hopefully not too low :-\

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!