iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee

Started by Larry, July 19, 2018, 07:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Tastes so much better when its made with a home turned coffee scoop. :D My first, but not my last. :)

Actually, my life is changing where I put a lot more value on lasting, well made things, that please my eye. Out with the cheap plastic junk made in a far away land.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Peter Drouin

Looks like that will work well for you. Nice job.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

btulloh

Nice work.  One scoop per cup?
HM126

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ljohnsaw

Turned it, as in on a lathe?  Do tell (with pictures).  I don't see how that was possible!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Larry

It is run of the mill hard maple. Once I have the process down, I have some figured wood to try.

This is how the scoop is initially turned. When I have a perfect sphere for the scoop portion, I work on the handle. The axis of the handle is shifted about a 1/4" to both sides of the center axis on the tailstock end. The handle is turned on each axis giving it the oval shape.  Its amazing that a small shift on the axis can have such a big impact on the shape of the handle.

After the handle is complete I place the ball of the scoop in a jam chuck as shown. The scoop ball is held in the jam chuck with hot melt glue. The handle can be neutral or tilted forwards/backwards. The ball is than hollowed just like turning a bowl. I put a completed scoop in the jam chuck just for this picture.

The concept is called multi axis turning. I've turned a few other projects, but have just scratched the surface.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Ljohnsaw

Thanks for the lesson!  I was thinking of something way different and much more difficult to accomplish. :-X
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Larry

Somebody that knows the process and is a good turner can complete one in less than 10 minutes.  I'm around 45 minutes.

WDH

That is a thing of beauty. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Very nice.  I've got to ask because I'm a smart aleck, but what will you do if you get a Keurig? :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Larry

You mean that ugly red thing on the left?  I'm not sure what she does, but it can't be as good as what I do. :D :D

IMERC

Quote from: Larry on July 20, 2018, 08:40:12 PMi'm not sure what she does,

makes coffee for the dog?
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Banjo picker

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 20, 2018, 07:51:22 PM
Very nice.  I've got to ask because I'm a smart aleck, but what will you do if you get a Keurig? :D :D :D
Mine has two holders, one for ground and one for the pods.  Deb uses the pods I use ground.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!