iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I made a cut and then went to raise the head so I could return it for the next cut.  Apparently I lowered the saw on accident instead of raised.  When I pulled the saw, the back of the blade hit the log and the blade came off the wheels.  At first I thought the blade broke, then I realized what had actually happened.  The blade appeared undamaged, but I was leery about putting it back on.  I figure at the least, some teeth got damaged.  Who's done this?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Woodpecker52

Happens more times than I care to admit, forget which way to move dial.  Blade should be ok.  I like to finish a cut, turn the log raise the blade up about a 1/4 of a turn and pull back and do not see the bump sticking up till it catches the blade and everything comes to a stop. Or the all time bonehead, turn about a 4x 10 cant up on high side forget to raise up stops and have it fall over in the middle and jam the whole works up and end with a zig zag blade.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Southside

Nope, not me, never hit the right trigger instead of the right thumb button.  ;) That's my story and I am sticking to it!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Percy

After 11,500 hours, my blade door on the mast side has a jagged hole in it where countless  blades have hit Because of various unintelligent moves. A common one for me is leaving the feed lever in the business position but having the speed control knob completely off. The lube mizer keeps squirting and, using pdiesel for lube,  enough of it accumulates on the blade. Hit the auto clutch on and the blade spins out on the diesel causing it to fly off, just as it's winding up. I could go on for many chapters of Dumbness. Should write a book called Percy's Pinheaded Sawmilling Techniques. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Rhodemont

When sawing or logging I have a prescription for one-dumb-aday and use it.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Chuck White

I've done it maybe twice since I've had my mill, then I started following what's written in the book!

When the blade exits the cut, disengage it for the gig back to the front!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old Greenhorn

A better question might be "who hasn't done this........... Yet." :D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks for the replies everybody.  I enjoyed them all.  The thing is, I always disengage.  I must have disengaged and then tried to go back while it was slowing down.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

This is why I am putting a "laser" on mine.  I at least one time hit my setworks down button before I had cleared the back (near) end of the log and tried to stretch my blade.

"laser" indicator for sawmill. in Sawmills and Milling
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, I have bumped the down toggle on my setworks after raising the head then lowered and knocked the blade off. Usually no damage is done, just a little embarrassment if others happen to be watching.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

I'll take the 5th 😎😎😎😎😎
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

petefrom bearswamp

Been there done that multiple times.
No cure for it in my case as inattention is a constant trait of mine 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Alyeska Pete

Now we know why Cook always used plywood for blade covers. In recent years they caved in to the "me too" market pressure and went to steel covers. I'm lucky to have bought my mill before the change. I have yet to trash a blade by knocking it off on the return, despite having done it at least several times a year. I strive not to do this unless I have an audience.

au·di·ence  Dictionary result for audience
/ˈôdēəns/
noun

the assembled spectators or listeners at a public event, such as a play, movie, concert, or sawmill demonstration.

firefighter ontheside

Pete, I feel like you might have added that last part.  Lol.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sixacresand

There are so many things you have to be aware of while milling,  Being tired and hot can cause lose of focus.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

gshd1

E-Tex

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM
I made a cut and then went to raise the head so I could return it for the next cut.  Apparently I lowered the saw on accident instead of raised.  When I pulled the saw, the back of the blade hit the log and the blade came off the wheels.  At first I thought the blade broke, then I realized what had actually happened.  The blade appeared undamaged, but I was leery about putting it back on.  I figure at the least, some teeth got damaged.  Who's done this?
that's just nonsense.  it's NEVER happened in bullard, texas!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

firefighter ontheside

I looked closer at that blade today.  One tooth was almost completely sheered off.  I think I will not send that back to resharp.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GAB

Quote from: Crossroads on February 27, 2019, 08:54:58 AM
I'll take the 5th 😎😎😎😎😎
You are definitely not alone on that one.
Don't ask me how I know.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

starmac

Well, there is a saying on the haul road, that there is two kinds of truck drivers, those that have crashed and those that are going to.

Some things are just a whole lot alike, and yea I have done it, but I ain't admitting it. 
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

randy d

Yep been there done that happens when I am in a hurry.

Idiocrates

This has never ever happened to me......although I'm pretty sure that when it did happen that either the mill misunderstood my intentions and prematurely backed up or sensed the Head-Up switch contact as a Head-Back contact through some kind of inherent glitch or electrical impulse fault either of which results in a lot of cussing.  Of course, there's always the possibility that somebody UP there thought I was working too hard and needed a rest.......and those are my top three stories and I'm sticking to them all!
James

tylerltr450

Quote from: Alyeska Pete on February 27, 2019, 11:31:58 AM
Now we know why Cook always used plywood for blade covers. In recent years they caved in to the "me too" market pressure and went to steel covers. I'm lucky to have bought my mill before the change. I have yet to trash a blade by knocking it off on the return, despite having done it at least several times a year. I strive not to do this unless I have an audience.

au·di·ence  Dictionary result for audience
/ˈôdēəns/
noun

the assembled spectators or listeners at a public event, such as a play, movie, concert, or sawmill demonstration.
I have a timber harvester looks like cooks but came well before them and it has the plywood panels. One time on site with a customer I threw a blade and it stuck in the plywood. I turned to the customer and said you now see why its plywood and not steel. He laughed and said it must have happened a time or two based on the holes in your plywood. I smiled and said it happens more than I like to admit.

Best part about plywood is I saved many blades and I can make new covers in no time at all.
Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

Brad_bb

I've done what the OP describes more times than I'd like to admit.  Whether I try to put the band on and try it depends on what I'm cutting and if I can afford to risk a dive.  If you put it on and get it turning and don't see any visible blurp in one spot, then try it slowly on wood.  If it's good, run it.  Just make sure to feed slow and cautious at first.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Percy

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 28, 2019, 08:32:12 AM
I've done what the OP describes more times than I'd like to admit.  Whether I try to put the band on and try it depends on what I'm cutting and if I can afford to risk a dive.  If you put it on and get it turning and don't see any visible blurp in one spot, then try it slowly on wood.  If it's good, run it.  Just make sure to feed slow and cautious at first.
Ive pondered putting mabey 3/8 plywood on the inside of my blade doors. Seen it done on many mills...Or I could just be more careful ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!