iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

can you pull up "danger zone" music on your phone, maybe get a laugh out of her!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

She is not in a good mood this morning....
 Got a call yesterday from a log supplier with some giant redwoods looking to make some Christmas $$. Can't say no to him as "they aren't making anymore" of the big logs in my lifetime.
As I said she is not in a good mood right now :oSome pics of the last sticks I bought from him.....

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

KenMac

How did you get everything to grow sideways like that? :D
Asking POQUO here.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Bruno of NH

How does redwood saw?
Is the dust a problem?
I built 2 homes with redwood lap siding was very nice stuff.
Looked great.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Poquo

On the computer they are right side up when I post them to the forum they rotate , I don't know how to rotate them back . I'm not very good with electronics .
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

tule peak timber

Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 22, 2019, 11:05:35 AM
How does redwood saw?
Is the dust a problem?
I built 2 homes with redwood lap siding was very nice stuff.
Looked great.
We do all sorts of weird projects with redwood and the logs saw and dry easily.The dust is a documented hazard but no way near as bad as say silk oak or paroda or white fir.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

Poquo, The easiest way to keep the photos correct is to always hold your phone horizontal and with the 'home' button to the right.  You have an option to rotate the pictures on the posting screen just above the: 

CLICK HERE TO INSERT IMAGE IN POST

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Poquo

2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

WV Sawmiller

Muzzleloader season ended yesterday, bow season still open and a few more antlerless days 26-31 December but today we had a pretty nice warm cloudy day so I decided to clean up a little stock and odd pieces in the yard in preparation for my next project - a school bus stop which could easily be modified to become a deer blind or outhouse as needed. More to follow in the new year ahead. Added one hour on the mill, sawed 150 bf of 4X4, 2X4, 4/4, 3/8" X 2" slats for crates/projects/battens as needed, and a couple of walnut limbs and such for big cookies. 5 logs or pieces and 150 bf yield.

Started with a little 8' poplar top with some sweep

4X4 posts, a 2X4, 1x4's, 1x6's & a 1X10 and some trim cuts which are always handy and 2" slats made by edging 2X pieces in 1/2" drops (handy little pieces to have around the shop). Not much waste off that log.

A 4' poplar upper section salvaged. Made 7 2X4's so good return.

An ugly walnut crotch from my Thanksgiving customer. Mostly designer firewood but you have to cut them to find out. IMHO - the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

A big knot cut off the butt log

Only 2- 5/4 cookies but worth the effort.

A limb stub I cut off the walnut butt log - No YH, the log would not roll so I told him it wasn't a log when it went on the mill.

I did get 4-5 of these cookies so it was worth the salvage efforts too. As I said - you have to cut them to find out if worth it or not sometimes.

I looked at my history and see I need 2,042 bf to hit my 100K mark. If we get decent weather this week I may try to do that before years end.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 23, 2019, 06:07:57 PM
   - a school bus stop which could easily be modified to become a deer blind or outhouse as needed. .
hopefully not all at the same time! :o :o :o :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 23, 2019, 06:07:57 PM
 in preparation for my next project - a school bus stop which could easily be modified to become a deer blind or outhouse as needed. 
Wow, there is SO much in that little line! I would suggest you put 'shooting holes' on all sides and seats from the get-go and decide later. :D :D :D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Since our bus routes are pretty rural I figure the kids can get in a little extra deer hunting while waiting for the bus. :D If they have city kid relatives along and they shoot a big buck and get so excited they have to go, they won't have to go far. We will even stock them with corncobs for hiney wipe and place them in the right order - 3 red ones then a white one. (They have to be used in the right order):D :D

Actually it is the same basic 4'X4' shell and if/where you add windows can turn it into a deer blind and if someone needs an outhouse at a camp or such (I sold an order of lumber a couple years ago for a 1-holer and had to sit down with the guy and pretty much design it to make sure he had the right amount of lumber so there is a market occasionally) I just box in the seat and put in a hole and ring/lid. A door will be an option for the bus stop, I'll have to practice my 1/4 moon cut-outs and install a 4" vent pipe for outhouses. So far it looks like I can buy treated 2X6's cheaper and easier than cutting locust or white oak for the floor framing (About $30) and metal roofing looks to be between $25-$30 depending what they want. Window options and door hardware are TBD.

Board and Batten, lap siding or LE lap siding are all options with B&B the basic model.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 23, 2019, 08:51:44 PM
  Since our bus routes are pretty rural I figure the kids can get in a little extra deer hunting while waiting for the bus. :D If they have city kid relatives along and they shoot a big buck and get so excited they have to go, they won't have to go far. We will even stock them with corncobs for hiney wipe and place them in the right order - 3 red ones then a white one. (They have to be used in the right order):D :D

Has anybody ever commented on how thoughtful and considerate your are in your design criteria? Comforting, educational, and sporting all at the same time. Wait until this hits Amazon!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

I will be sending in my application to appear on Shark Tank any day now. In the mean time I am also working on a Murphy option where the unsightly toilet can be folded up out of sight against the wall like a Murphy bed. My problem right now is getting the hole in the toilet to line up with the window at the right height so the user can still shoot his (her?) bow out of it.  ;D
Howard Green

Don P

Leave it low, throne to prone.

We set up a gang rip over the weekend for sheathing boards over at Rick's, had the Lucas and his Belsaw going.

We got attic floor joists and most of the easy roof framing done today. The framing is tulip poplar and red oak. As we were carrying in some of the red oak 2x12x16's today my partner commented that they outweighed him, I think he's right, glad they're done.

WV Sawmiller

My old neighbor stopped by about 8:15 this morning to get the rest of my slabwood. He cuts it up to about 8-10 inch lengths so when he gets a truck load, he gets a full truckload. I made a couple more sawhorses and leave them next to the slab pile to help him and his younger brother saw up the slabs. I usually go out and socialize with them a little and laugh at them bickering at each other. I charge him $10/pick up load. Not much but I used to have to move it to a burn pile and burn it. At least now it gets used, I get help getting rid of it and a pittance to boot. He paid for today's load and the next one I get cut. He often does that. Then I cut up a poplar top I had sawed into a 4' and a 7' length, a knotty 10' long poplar top into 4' 2X4's the 7 & 10 into 4/4 boards and a 4' maple into LE slabs for benches.

4 & 7 ft poplar. Got 3 good 2X4's and 2 with excess wane I tossed then retrieved to make future sawhorses. 1X8 Boards out of the 7' piece then a 10' not shown into 1X8 4/4 board. Just a salvage operation but handy pieces.

An ugly 4' maple piece due to the big check in the pith but still yielded 3 LE slabs for benches and 8-2.5"X2.5" X 4' leg pieces.

113 bf total for .7 hours on the mill.

Had to quit about 1:00 pm to go shower and change and go to a Christmas Eve get together/meal. Now just waiting for Sandy Claws.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Yes, only someone with a 2' plastic Christmas tree and a Grinch stocking would get out and saw lumber on Christmas Day but it was a sunny 60 degrees (Feels cooler) and we won't have our Christmas doin's till Saturday when our daughter and family get here from Charlotte NC so I decided to work on getting my stock together for my combo bus stop/deer blind/outhouse project. I wanted to make some live edge siding. I have never made live edge siding but had a 9' ash log blocking traffic so decided to try it.

Cut by tree trimmers last summer they cut a wide notch.

I loaded it on the mill and sawed parallel to the bark till I squared up one side opening a face about 8" from the squared side (I did not try to center the pith for this project) and sawed 3/4" thick.

After half a dozen cuts I was down to my side supports so I lowered them and centered the log on the movable clamp (Hard to see here) as a pivot and spun the cant around to keep the square edge against the side, checked my cheat sheet for my mark then opened another 8-9 inch face and then resumed cutting to the rails. On the last cut I had to lower the clamp all the way and just let the weight of the cant and flitches I had not removed hold it in place. It was pucker time cutting that last cut 3/4" from the deck but the square dog truly is 5/8" high and I just missed it (Whew!).

Wasn't it CustomSawyer who said never lift both ends of a board? I lifted the end toe roller and pushed the sawed flitches to the end and slid them off on John's forks never lifting them.

I then edged my first cut into 2- 9' 2X4's. 15 live edge siding boards that will each cover from about 8-10 inches with another 2" of overlap and 2- 2X4's. About 125 bf (If you count every piece under 1" as an inch like I do) and enough to cover my project. This was a real fun way to spend Christmas!
Howard Green

Magicman

Congrats on a successful saw.  I also see that "level" is a very relative term in WV.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

@Magicman ,

I had to look that new word up. Level is not a term frequently used around here. :D My property rises over 450' on 40+ acres. I tell folks I have 40 acres but if I could lay it flat I'd have 80. I do stage the logs up hill of the mill then just roll and turn them toward the mill and let gravity take care of the loading.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Man, you guys is slacking. Nobody else posted any sawing here since Christmas Eve. Must be the end of hunting season or something (Ours ends tomorrow for deer).

Anyway I started piddling on my new project and realized I was short on 2X4s so after getting my wife's ATV tire fixed (again) and before I have to run get 2 new hydraulic hoses for my little FEL I ran out and cut a 6 & 7 ft log off a stock poplar log up in the edge of the woods and dragged it down and cut it into 2X4. I think I got one more little 1X4 and a 3/8" X 2" X 6' craft strip so there was not much going in the waste pile. Total yield 125 bf and .9 more hours on the mill.

Awful muddy around here right now but beautiful weather partly cloudy with scattered sun and about 60-65 degrees. 28 good clear 2X4s, one short one, a 1X4 and a thin strip for crates or battens on my school bus/outhouse/deer blind project..
Howard Green

dirtmotor

Had time to play with mill yesterday cut up one nice red oak log and one ugly oak crotch it had been down a couple of years turned out most every slab was split , broke a blade when it tried to crawl off mill  stopped in cut next time it moved  , took darn near an hour to back out blade , at <bleast it did not break .

WDH

I have found that oak crotches split after sawing.  Unlike some other woods like walnut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!