iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spencer tape

Started by Firewoodjoe, July 24, 2019, 08:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Well I use them. I have three. My question is does anyone that does use them seem to fix them a lot. It seems to me the metal tape will slowly get warn/kink then break and I use the trip release nail on the end. Today the spring steel for that nail broke and it's not that old. Wondering if I'm to hard on them or if there's something better. I cut short wood. 8 foot up to 16 foot. So it is used a lot I would think compared to west coast guys. Marking sticks are just to slow for me. Pulp I like them but not logs. Also I add electric tape and rubber stopper and let it come back slow to not slam in.

Southside

Yea, have to buy refills a couple times a year and get creative with the nail more than that. Given the environment they live in I guess we can't complain. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mills

Yep, and if you want to kill the better part of a rainy day take one apart and repair the coil spring.  >:(
Best way to keep from breaking one is to not use it. :D

chep

I abandoned Spencer tapes years ago and have not regretted it one bit.
I use a tape from Comstock Logging now called the EIA windsor tape . Shockingly better then a Spencer. EIA2601 - LOGGERS TAPE 50' WITH RELEASE NAIL MADE IN SWEDEN *THE ORIGINAL WINDSOR TAPE*

Ed_K

I had one of those tape got it from Bailey's. For me it didn't last any longer than the spencer tape. I do keep a box of refills and extra release nails tho.
Ed K

Firewoodjoe

I have one one those but it says woodsman pro. ordered form also Baileys the tap and the nail are the same as the spencer. Those are the only two problems I have. I think just a good nylon rope or something of the affect would work better. Heck even winchlines are fading away from wire line.

Firewoodjoe

I do work the heck out of them though. After today should be about 80 cord off this job in 7 days.

dgdrls

I've been dealing with, managing and caring for steel tapes as a surveyor
and amateur logger/sawyer for more than 30 years.
keep them clean and and don't let them return
to the spool without stopping them or having a
nice big bumper.

D

Firewoodjoe

I do slow it down and I'm cutting short logs. That's what I don't understand these tapes are made for west cost loggers bucking 30+ footers. I don't see how the nail would last doing that length.

dgdrls

Are you using the horse shoe nail E, or hook A?

Skeans1

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on July 25, 2019, 06:57:05 PM
I do slow it down and I'm cutting short logs. That's what I don't understand these tapes are made for west cost loggers bucking 30+ footers. I don't see how the nail would last doing that length.
Most of us wrap them with electrical tape out to a foot or 10", my falling tape is a 75' I carry all the time and the refill last at least a year sometimes more. One thing I can think of off hand that's seems to wear them more is on the landing where you're not walking on the log the refill seem to break a little more often.

Firewoodjoe

I use hook A. And I add lots of electric tape. The last spool I bought had the poly/plastic for the first two feet but that starts to bind up where it's atached to the steel. More tape fixed it.

Clark

I always added electrical tape until the "0" for diameter measuring showed up. That only gives 3-4" of electrical tape. Before adding the black tape I would use packing (or packaging) tape and tape up a section 18-24" long. It was always a bit messy but it saved my tape from premature kinking or curling. I normally get a year out of a tape working in the woods. 

My first rule in using the Spencer tape was to allow the reel to bring the tape in and never walk towards the tape. Doing so is asking for a loop to form and then you'll try to pull it in and kink the tape.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

BAN

They usually break in first foot or so. They make ends that can be riveted on that are cheaper than the full refill.

petefrom bearswamp

I use the hook c which I robbed from an old diameter tape
I agree with dgdrls hat you  need to baby them somewhat cushion when returning
I use them on 21 and 25 footers all the time when bucking at my mill.
But not like a pro logger using every day.
Pig tail is the curse of any meal tape
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Cub

I use e for a nail. I've gotten lots of use out of my Spencer tape. Although I only cut part time for 7 months a year. I only use the tape when cutting verneer and saw logs to measure the tree to the 1st defect to figure out what lengths I'm cutting. I only use the tape for 10's and 12's. The rest I carry a piece of 3/4 schedule 80 pvc conduit cut to 104". I have a mark at 100" for bolts n pulp. So my tape doesn't see near the use. I like the conduit. It's light. Pretty stout. And straight. 

BargeMonkey

I've never had good luck with them, 2-3 of them in a box at the mill and they can stay there. 4ft survey stake with notches cut in it is all I use anymore. 

SwampDonkey

I've only used mine for diameters and no hook because northeastern trees are generally under 20" until you come across the odd stand of red spruce or sugar maple with some 40" inchers in it. Very rare find now since most any private land or near settlement has been cut at least 3 times in the last 100 years in these parts. And mostly clear cut to. Some old hemlock, white cedar or white pine in rough shape still around, but no one wants them old relics around here. Too much defect. The last guy didn't want them either. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Firewoodjoe

This pine has to between 12'4" and 12'6" or they reject it so I won't use my marketing stick on it. Kind of a pain for sure.

Skeans1

@Firewoodjoe 
Are you walking out on the log? Are you a single log or a couple lengths at once?

Firewoodjoe

Walk on ground most of the time. The tape doesn't touch the ground. I'm sure it's just the way it is. I can't believe there's only two log tapes on the market. It's all single stick. 3 sorts. 10" + pine then 12"-6" pine both 12 footers. Then 8' pulp down to 4". A real tight 4" lol

Walnut Beast

For anybody that has or had the older original ones. Are they better than the newer imported ones ?

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: chep on July 25, 2019, 06:08:48 AM
I abandoned Spencer tapes years ago and have not regretted it one bit.
I use a tape from Comstock Logging now called the EIA windsor tape . Shockingly better then a Spencer. EIA2601 - LOGGERS TAPE 50' WITH RELEASE NAIL MADE IN SWEDEN *THE ORIGINAL WINDSOR TAPE*
I've used Spencer tapes for 30 years.   And I'd chuck them all if I could find something better.  I immediately  clicked on Chet"s link cause I'd like to try them.   And what do you know, unavailable and out of stock.  Figures.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

doc henderson

I have an old Lufkin my brother got when he was in college.  I have the retractable type and they work ok, but I use it on rare occasions.  pro-tape I think.  prob. made in a place I do not speak the language.  may not last a day for you professional loggers.

40 bucks for a 50 foot on amazon.  tried to post a link.  says made by US tape co., made in USA.  but who knows.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

chep

Check out Husqvarna log tapes

Thank You Sponsors!