iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoked Meat

Started by K-Guy, December 09, 2019, 09:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Guy

So Sunday morning I get up and it's 6°F outside. What to do, I have a couple of small pork steaks I picked up last week when I thought I'd be on my own for supper, I decided to smoke them. One I seasoned with my standard Goya Adobo and the other liberally with Weber Asian Garlic Rub.

Goya seasoned on the left.
Now by the time I put them on to smoke the temp was up to 31°F.
They turned out great, my family all thought they tasted good but I was disappointed because the Weber rub didn't really come through. FYI it is great on the grill, just not for smoking.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Magicman

I wish that I had taken pictures but the last two times that I smoked chicken wings it has been on the grill.  I first got them sizzling hot over the burners then piled them up one end and left the burner on low on the other end.  Added some Oak chips to the tray over the burner and let it happen.  OK, I'll take pictures next time.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

K-Guy

Using the BBQ grill has gin problems smoking if there is too much wind so I got this from Masterbuilt's website. Refurbished $67 including shipping. I tried it out yesterday and it works much better than the grill even when it's snowing.

Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Raider Bill

You can smoke with a normal grill but the right tool sure makes things easier.
Master built is a very popular smoker. I got my Son one for Christmas.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I have smoked "landing gear" on the grill twice during the past few weeks but I keep forgetting to take a picture.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samthesham

I use a pellet grill for bbq smoking & a Weber kettle for grilling. I had an offset wood smoker that worked great except I never accomplished the art of heat control. I had to baby sit it the complete cooking time to maintain a semi close temp I wanted. The pellet grill works great for maintaining the temperature. I can mow the grass for an hour or so without any worries about temperature..
For the Weber I just purchased a Vortex & it is amazing. Been reading about them for quite a while & wished I had bought it years ago. Anyone use the Vortex?

Magicman

I got after a tough ole bird this morning, almost gave me a slip, but I caught him trying to hide underneath the grill where he thought that I would not look.  :o

So instead of going under the grill.....he went in.  ::)

K-Guy

We lost power on early Friday morning or Thursday night and didn't gt back till 4 pm Sunday but we did 14" of snow. So, Easter dinner was Turkey cooked on the grill. I think it turned out pretty good and the family agreed. 

ps the dog loved the giblets.  ;D

Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Chuck White

Looks like some real good eatin'!  digin_2
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raider Bill

Quote from: samthesham on April 10, 2020, 05:10:21 PM
I use a pellet grill for bbq smoking & a Weber kettle for grilling. I had an offset wood smoker that worked great except I never accomplished the art of heat control. I had to baby sit it the complete cooking time to maintain a semi close temp I wanted. The pellet grill works great for maintaining the temperature. I can mow the grass for an hour or so without any worries about temperature..
For the Weber I just purchased a Vortex & it is amazing. Been reading about them for quite a while & wished I had bought it years ago. Anyone use the Vortex?

Tell me more about this vortex!

Sedgehammer

First brisket we've ever smoked. We bought a camp chef pellet grill last fall. That's a brisket from our own grass fed cow. A little over 9 lbs. Marinated it starting Friday. Put it on the smoker at 7:45 am Easter morn. 4:15 pm it was 196°. Let it sit to almost 5 pm. Was one of the better brisket's we ever ate. Company said same. None of even used BBQ, although it was on the table. I'll change up marinade next time a wee bit. Cooked half of the time with mesquite, then switched to apple, cherry, maple blend.
Necessity is the engine of drive

K-Guy

Looks mighty good SH

I like to inject a beef au jus and then use a savory rub on the outside, for beef I've only used hickory so far. 
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

sawguy21

I'm coming to Oklahoma for dinner! That looks really good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

K-Guy

I did some chicken legs and thighs with Applewood yesterday. It turned out pretty good but I prefer pork or beef on the smoker. I seasoned it by injecting a herb and garlic marinade but didn't do anything to the outside. I wanted to see how the smoke tasted on the bird.

Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Sedgehammer

I had posted this in the quarantine supper thread, as these were found at the bottom of the freezer from a cow we butchered almost 4 years ago and we smoked them. 45 minutes with a 50/50 of hickory and cherry rum pellets, then seared the one side before serving. They were exquisite. I only heavily salted them, as I've found nothing else compares. I forgot to take after pics, sorry. The couple we had over wants me to cook them for his birthday party next month. He always has a all out extravaganza for his birthday.

Raider Bill

What is the orange looking stuff?

Sedgehammer

Grass fed based fat. 

Raider Bill

Hmmm. Mine doesn't do that. The fat is darker than normal but not orange.
I was thinking you had some trick using peaches..

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Sedgehammer on June 02, 2020, 08:53:17 AM
Grass fed based fat.
My doctor tells me human fat is that color.  Hmmmm :P ???
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

BradMarks

Sedgehammer:  You raise some Dang fine cattle.  I'll take that fat marble (or should I say fat marvel!) every time. Looks fantastic.

gspren

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 02, 2020, 08:40:53 AM
What is the orange looking stuff?
The fat on Jersey cattle tend to have that color, not known for beef but what I've eaten was fine.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Don P

Oh the thought came and went while we were talking this morning Stan (over my static phone line, dang rain) eastern hophornbeam is another good wood to try, it resembles hickory smoke. If the coffeetree doesn't work out there might be another smoking report :D

Sedgehammer

@BradMarks she was a Kerry. Irish dual purpose breed
@gspren Jersey are actually a very well marbled dairy breed. Better then many a beef. High fat content milk typically crosses over to higher marbled meat
@Raider Bill I cannot then say it's just because they are geass fed . It might be a combination of breed and diet. A red Angus goes to the butcher in July, so we'll see guess. 

Raider Bill

I steer before last we did was red Angus but his fat wasn't like that.
I'm sure your cattle graze on better grass than what mine do.

Sedgehammer

Do you grain also?
Ours get just a 2 hand cupped in the am fir salt, minerals and diatomaceous earth. 4 grained, soy with some molasses 

Thank You Sponsors!