iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Take a seat

Started by Crossroads, May 28, 2021, 12:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

While on my road trip last week, I found out that the guy I bought my edger from also had a ride along seat for his Lt40. Offered him $600 and he countered with $400 👍🏻His is an older mill, so the seat was to close to my controls. Monday me and a friend cut the seat off and made a frame to move it back 17". Today was the first time I was able to try it and I think I'm going to like it. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

dgdrls

Nice find,

you'll have a to post a photo of your new ride!

D

Magicman

Love my Seat & Umbrella.  I have a folding 16"X24" ~8" tall stepstool that I use when the front is setup/leveled higher.  (I have a picture but I didn't find it.)  It came from an RV store.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

I'll try to remember to get a picture today. I used a couple of your pictures to help design the modifications Lynn 😁 I can see where a step would come in handy, yesterday I was set up with the front low and I still had to hike up my britches to climb on lol

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Mine is aluminum but this is about what I have:  LINK

As far as I am concerned it is a "must have" item.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

boonesyard

Just got my new ride  :). Sure didn't take long to wish I had done it a lot sooner, excellent add-on.

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Lasershark

Coincidentally, I just ordered my seat today (arrival expected sometime in July). I received a contract recently from a farmer to cut his logs and he has enough to keep me going for at least 6 months, so I figure a seat is the way to make it more manageable. 
2020 LT-50 Wide, 38 HP Gas, with debarker, lubemiser and operator's seat,  2002 Dodge Ram, Echo chainsaw, Ogam multi-rip Gang saw, Cook Manufacturing Sharpener/Setter Combo.  RS-2 resaw attachment.

Crossroads

Stepped off to get a couple pictures. 

Had a small breakdown with an hour to go today. The spring on the end of the cable that goes to the carb broke. Got spares now. 

Peter Drouin

I don't move anymore. So I made a hotrod seat.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Cjross73

I got the seat with my mill but my supervisor is the only one who has tried it 

LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

Crossroads

I may have get a foot peg for my left foot, I'm definitely liking the miles I'm not putting on my feet now. I'll need to replace a couple of bearings though, I can feel a couple rough ones. 

Magicman

Quote from: Crossroads on May 29, 2021, 09:02:58 PMI may have get a foot peg for my left foot,
Adding the fold down step seen on the newer seats should be easy enough.  It folds up for transport.  Turn the seat bottom up and you may can help the bearing/cam follower with some 90w oil.  I try to salvage the ones from the mast to use on the seat.

Crossroads

I added some atf yesterday, but I have at least 1 that is beyond lube. The bearings are quite a bit smaller than the cam followers on the mast. If I get time tomorrow I'll pull them apart and snap a picture. I'm guessing they got put away wet then sat in a shed for the last 20 years. 

Crossroads

Well the bearings got so rough that I pulled the seat off the mill the other day. I called WM to see about ordering new bearings, but they wanted to sell me the cam followers as Lynn mentioned above, but it still didn't seem right. They emailed me the manual for the seat and sure enough, it's different from the one I have. Apparently it's a pre 1997 seat which explains why I had to modify it to fit my mill. Anyway, I pulled one of the bearings apart and took some measurements. The local Napa was no help, neither was auto zone. So, I looked on Amazon and found them for $0.87 ea. In a 10 pack. They will be here Tuesday. In the meantime, I rotated the best ones to the top and the worst one to the front bottom. It worked fine all day yesterday and my feet were very appreciative 😁

Magicman

Wood-Mizer made many changes in mid-97.  Hopefully this will get you to riding smoothly.  8)

Crossroads

Got the new bearings and installed them this evening. Hopefully that will solve my problems. I also called WM this morning to see if they had a kit to upgrade the feed motor from 1/2 to 3/4 hp. Unfortunately they don't, but I'm pretty sure I can make a bracket to adapt the 3/4. 

Crossroads

The new bearings made a huge difference! 

Thank You Sponsors!