iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working on a building.

Started by 711ac, April 22, 2021, 07:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

When I formed up the outer ring foundation for my new garage/workshop, I fabricated steel braces to go across the tops of the form boards. These I made from 3/8" bar stock welded to cutoffs of 1 3/4" angle iron with screw holes to attach to the forms. These held the inner and outer form parallel and straight, and lessened the need for stakes. After the concrete had firmed up some, I unscrewed them and finish troweled the surface and rounded over the edge for the garage doorway.

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

711ac

I have 5 of those big blocks left over and they are working well to brace the forms to. I've had blowouts before in what little form - concrete I've done, but it was a much different situation. My concrete contractor buddy stopped by yesterday a said with a few simple things that the forms are good to pour. I'm starting with my rebar.

711ac

Hit a milestone today with the concrete poured and the post bases set.

samandothers

That's a bunch of bases! 

Looking good!

JRWoodchuck

I like the chamfered corner detail!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

tmbrcruiser

Congratulations on getting the mill building up. Looking forward to seeing dust on the floor. Good job!
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

711ac

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on May 26, 2021, 10:47:47 PM
I like the chamfered corner detail!
That will be above grade. I pictured myself having the inevitable "oops" resulting in a damaged wall AND a ruined sidewall on a fairly expensive tire.😫

711ac

For not being a form carpenter, I'm happy with this pour.

Tom King

tmbrcruiser

Looks great, please keep the pictures coming. The ground doesn't freeze very deep in Delaware. So your foundation is very interesting and clever.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

711ac

Since it's finally raining (thankfully) and I'm still cleaning up the form wood with nothing big to show, more pictures. I enjoy them on other threads and they help explain better than words. 
<br
These will be the roof structure, 37'4". I scrounged these 11 "bar joists" pieces 8 or so years ago for around $400. I am not familiar with steel construction and it took a while to come up with a plan or a cheap plan.
This is why there's so many posts, each individual joist will sit on a post. Every pair of posts will be taller than the lower post up until the peak, then work it's way back down to the eave. 

Then I ran into this pile of 8x8 posts, for free, stickered, in a building with a concrete floor. 👍 they are over 20' long and he delivered them. It costs me a days time helping him clean up and organize this 50x100 quansit building, he just wanted them gone. This was through another forum, not sawmill related. I'll have to "tune up" some of these as you can see the twist, but that's the next step. The shorter posts will be somewhere around 10' with the longest 17' at least according to my sketches, I have the basic design but I'm prone to changes when it becomes something real that I can actually see. I'd like a minimum 10' clearance for my various equipment to enter. There will be an opening on each wave end, almost 19' wide. I've formed in a void in the concrete to accept rolling doors sometime in the future along with another 18' opening in what will be the gable end - the longer dimension. I've yet designed the truss or beam that's required for this, iirc I've got 3 or 4 joists to support. The math for load calculations scrambles my brain.

711ac

<br

Sorry for the sideways pictures 

711ac

This should help, just finished getting all the form wood and bracing out of there. 

btulloh

I'm enjoying your build and your pictures but I'm getting a crick in my neck.  :)  Just a little hint that might help: when inserting pictures from your gallery there's a ROTATE button right there that makes it easy to fix your pic orientation just before you insert it. No big deal, but thought you'd like to know. We all had to go through a little learning process on this, so no worries. 

Looking forward to following your build to the finish line. 

HM126

Les Staley

Nice job on the building!,  I'm jelly...

I am now an expert on rotating photos.  Go into your gallery, click on the photo,  at the bottom of the photo there will be an icon +90.   Click on that and "save photo".  Should work
East Jordan Michigan, Pinedale Wyoming and St Maries Idaho.  Honey, I'm HOME!

711ac

Sorry about your neck, I just corrected my photos and thank you! 👍
The finish line hopefully is before next winter, I don't want to set the bar too high and I slow down terribly much above 75-80 😫

btulloh

Thanks!  And thanks to new member Les Staley who cleaned up my mistakes on the name of the button and elaborating on the procedure. 

I'm waiting to see how those trusses work out. Nice find there. I couldn't quite form the picture of the roof profile from the description, but it sounds like it will be nice and very functional. 
HM126

711ac

If you look at the top picture you'll see the back wall, it's solid with no break in the footer. The bar joists will sit on progressively taller posts until the middle (peak or ridge), then get shorter down to the eave level, equal on both sides. I need to design the truss or beam to carry 3 of the joists above the front opening.
The bottom pic is the opposite or front wall and the door opening is clear, in the middle. 

711ac

I don't really know what I was thinking when I was pondering a smaller building. 

I have many measuring "tools", but it's always a slight surprise to see it other than lines on a paper. This should work fine for me.

VB-Milling

Looking fantastic.  The ingenuity and resourcefulness on the foundation work and the salvaged timber and roof trusses is awesome!  Looking forward to seeing it go vertical.

Good thing you fabbed up those steel post bases yourself...I can only imagine what Simpson would charge for something so stout and large!
HM126

711ac

" Resourcefulness" thank you! 
I'm just a cheap SOB. 😆

711ac

Well re sawing the twist out of my free timbers is working out well. Being inexperienced I was worried that there was something that I hadn't thought of, and would end up having too small of post to fit properly in my bases. 

The shortest posts are 10' and I needed 8, I took the 20' timbers with the worst twist and cut them in half, then cut them to dimension. 
They were all originally cut at 8x8, I'm re sawing them to 6 7/8 × 7 1/2. 

Anderson

Really love seeing your progress!
Thank you for keeping us up to date with pictures.

Keep up the good work! 8)

711ac

We're having a heat spell, that shuts me down. Just no patience for it anymore  (now that I don't HAVE to) 
I'm a few timbers away from having them cut, but I'd trade a month of 20* for a day over 80*.
My little building site is of course in the wide open sun.
Crying session is done. 😆

Thank You Sponsors!