iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best type squaring arms

Started by Cruiser_79, January 30, 2022, 02:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser_79

My mill has the original Mebor squaring arms that aren't adjustable in height. You roll the log in position with the sawn side against the arm, clamp the log and just hope it won't move when you lower the arms. Cause you use the arms to roll the log as well, the pins and bushes are quite worn out. So usually it takes some time to make sure the beams you are sawing are perpendicular. I use my chain rollers, a waterlevel and some barks and flints to support the log to avoid trapezoid beams... Within a few weeks/months I will move my mill to our new place and think I will take the bed in the workshop for some maintenance and improvements before install it outside. I can just replace and restore all pins and bushes, but I was wondering what the best squaring arms would be. Now is the time to change it I think.  Problem with my type of squaring arms is that I have to put them down completely before sawing. The woodmizer type cilinders are adjustable and you can start sawing with the arms supporting the side of the log. The construction has to be quite sturdy cause there is quite some tension when rolling the logs with the chain rollers.

On this picture you can see my sawbed;

Thank You Sponsors!