iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tires on Sawmill getting hot

Started by Beavertooth, June 14, 2021, 08:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavertooth

I have a LT70 and have always had trouble with my tires getting extremely hot when towing the mill. It is not the brakes rubbing. The tires will spend freely when jacked up. The tires will get hot first then if you are on a long trip it will move to the rim and then on to the hub.  I have ran them with all kinds of different air pressure and does the same no matter how much or how little.  After just about 60 miles Friday I stopped to check everything. I had left the house with 70lbs of air in each tire. They were so hot that the pressure was up to 90lbs and had a big ole knot that had popped out on the inside of basically a brand new tire. Changed the tire and let the pressure down to 50 in the tires and made the last 48 miles ok and back home the next day.  Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Tacotodd

Check to make sure that the tires are parallel with each other. I have seen this issue become a problem with other trailer axles in the past.
Trying harder everyday.

Southside

Woodmizer replaced the tires with heavier ones on my 70 when it was in for another issue. Might want to check and see if you need to do the same. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dgdrls

Quote from: Tacotodd on June 14, 2021, 09:08:01 PM
Check to make sure that the tires are parallel with each other. I have seen this issue become a problem with other trailer axles in the past.
Also,  measure dimensions from a point under the hitch to points you can reproduce on both sides of the axle, get as close to the brake
backing plate as you can.

What are the load ratings on the tires?   LT-70 by the spec sheet I found is just shy of #5000

D

boonesyard

What Taco said. If the load rating is OK, even if it's off a bit it shouldn't heat up that fast. I'll bet the tires aren't running true to the frame/each other, this issue will heat up and wear tires in a hurry. Does the mill dogleg to one side or the other when towing it? 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Darrel

I have the same problem with my 1992 LT40.  My tires also wear out like you would expect under inflated tires to wear when in reality they are a bit over inflated.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

donbj

Quote from: boonesyard on June 15, 2021, 10:45:32 AM
What Taco said. If the load rating is OK, even if it's off a bit it shouldn't heat up that fast. I'll bet the tires aren't running true to the frame/each other, this issue will heat up and wear tires in a hurry. Does the mill dogleg to one side or the other when towing it?
It would be a challenge to say whether or not a woodmizer dog tracks. They all do by design. The way to narrow it down would be to see if the wheels are true to the axle
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Ianab

If the mill wasn't tracking straight wouldn't the tires scrub unevenly, like car tyres when your alignment is out?

If the tyres are tracking straight then heat is more likely due to sidewall flex. Is it more that the load rating on the tires are "optimistic"? 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

I think if the wheels are parallel, but the axle is not perpendicular, the trailer would steer to the one side.  if the wheels are not parallel, toe in or out, it would generate heat as they works against each other.  a non contact heat gun is great for diagnosing where the problem is.  it is telling that they are both doing it (getting hot) and this could be from not being parallel, or from an overloaded or underinflated condition.  a dragging brake would get hot first at the hub, and would likely be only one side, unless the actuator is the problem.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

pineywoods

FWIW the axles on woodmizer are most likely off the shelf boat trailer axles. Real easy to bend. I had to swap out the axle on an lt40 not worth trying to fix it. Don't ask how it got bent.......
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Darrel

Quote from: Sixacresand on June 18, 2021, 07:47:20 PM
Quote from: pineywoods on June 18, 2021, 11:03:27 AMDon't ask how it got bent.......
I'm guessing a stump.
yup, that's what I was thinking, and if it's anything like the stumps in these parts, that stump grew right up out of the ground while the mill was passing over it!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!