iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabbing

Started by dean herring, May 26, 2021, 09:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean herring

Just got a load of logs that had two really good red oak logs in it.They are both about 48" diameter and 8-10' long. I was wondering if anybody close to me has a slabbing mill and ability to unload them and would be interested in cutting them.
 I live in Dubach La. Thank you 😊 
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Daburner87

Lets see some pics!
HM130Max Woodlander XL

maple flats

At 48" you might need someone with a Peterson or Lucas and a slabbing set up, or if they really want to work real hard, someone with a Chainsaw Mill and a 48" cut capability, that might be a 60" saw and bar.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Sawmill Man

If no one else is interested in doing it I can but it would be around the end of summer before I could get to it
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

maple flats

With the Peterson swing blade WPF I used to own (sold it earlier this year) I slabbed two oak logs back in 2016 or 17. The only way to do it with a conventional swing blade is to cut off lumber until you get close to the pith while still above it enough for the slab, or cut down until just below the pith. Then flip the log and start from the top down. When you have the thickness you want, that's your slab. It takes much more time than a bandmill or a CSM but it can be done. I was sawing for a customer, on his logs, mostly cutting for oak flooring. He during the process he had me cut 2 slabs, one off each of 2 logs. When I finished the second slab, he gave me one, he kept the other.
Just last week, I took my slab, which I had bucked into 2 pieces about 56" long, to an Amish furniture factory and got them planed both sides and edged one long side on each slab  (they did it while I waited, took about 6-7 minutes and they were very reasonable).
I'm making a table top which I'll attach to a 53 gal oak barrel for a display table selling my maple syrup at the one retail outlet I sell at. I'll get some pictures as I get into it. I'm cutting it shorter so there's less chance it gets tipped from an off balance load. I'll also add 4 extensions as feet for stability. I'm going to finish it at about 46" long x 40-41" wide with rounded corners and about 2" thick, this is not live edge. Trying to decide what radius to cut. Then I'll sand it with a belt sander, radius the top edges with my router and finally put epoxy on it. I have an assortment of dyes to color epoxy but haven't decided on a color yet. It does have one large knot hole that will be filled with epoxy, maybe that will be the only part getting the color.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!